Paraffin Stove ID please.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
A friend found this in the back of his shed and gifted it to me today.

It belonged to his father and clearly runs in paraffin, but after doing a google image search etc. I can find precious little out about it. Do any resident stovies have any information or history relating to this model?

Thanks in advance. :)

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
It's an RM 320 range stove with a silent burner, try looking on classic camp stoves. Once refurbished they can go for quite a bit of money, mainly used for cooking in the summer months when you did not want to put the range on. they have a decent flame control and with the large tank you can get a very long simmer time out of them.

http://classiccampstoves.com/threads/rm-range-320.4219/

Si

Thanks Si, that's teally helpful. I was going to look at the the stove sites and forums, but didn't know what I was looking for.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Great stove, its my 'brew' stove in the shed :)

PM me your address and I'll post you an outer cap for the burner.

Thanks for the kind and generous offer. I'll get her fired up first and make sure all's well before I take you up on it though. If it works OK I guess I need to be looking at giving it a clean, paint and polish too. With luck it will make a nice rainy day (i.e. summer) project.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
By the look of it, you will need a new outer cap to get it to run properly. I'd take up Richard's offer before you try to light it, IIWY.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
By the look of it, you will need a new outer cap to get it to run properly. I'd take up Richard's offer before you try to light it, IIWY.

Thanks Ian. A brief pump up this morning ended in the pump washer disintegrating too, so it looks like base-camp may be getting a call now..... :)

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
New pump washers and silent burner caps, along with a few other bits arrived from Base-Camp Stoves today :)

[video=youtube_share;hHaUJOABG_Y]http://youtu.be/hHaUJOABG_Y[/video]

Really pleased with it.
Now to have a look at cleaning her up a bit.

Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Did you have something else running out of frame, Kev?
Your stove shouldn't be making all that racket. That style of burner is called a silent burner because it's more or less silent in operation.
That noise sounds like underburn, which is the vapourised fuel burning in the vertical tube underneath the burner cap. It is a dangerous thing and can cause your burner to melt. Did the burner appear to be very hot?

It could be due to the outer cap not seating quite right, or it could be the last of the priming setting the vapour alight under the cap. Check the cap sits right then light the stove. Check that the inner cap (looks like a little doughnut) is seated properly around the top of the tube. Let the priming burn out before pumping and light the burner at the top with a match or lighter.
It certainly shouldn't be making that noise; running correctly, flat-out, it should make about as much noise as a Tilley lantern.

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Thanks Ian. Certainly my brother has likened the noise to an incoming Doodle bug and having never had one before I did wonder what one would sound like if it wasn't silent! However, I assumed it was OK. It seems now that my nearest and dearest may have been correct in their anxieties about this project - lol!

I've put it away now, but will fire it up again tomorrow and check all of your suggestions and tips. I'll keep you posted!

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Sounds like you have 'under burn' turn it off it happens again.

[video=youtube;eXYz9kraEmU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXYz9kraEmU&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Thanks for the help.
I think there were several issues. Not enough pre-heating, lighting and pressurising too soon and finally it doesn't take kindly to the wind.
The next step will be looking at refurbishing it a bit.

bilmo-p5

Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Sweet!
emoticon-00115-inlove.gif

Good job, Kev. Aren't you glad you didn't get rid of it?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE