Paraffin Lamp advice / recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Hi All

I will be putting the Wildo Stove in my wooden shed soon. I have ordered a silicon flashing kit for the flue. Waiting for the parts to arrive.

Now next thing I need is lamp, as there is no electricity coming into the shed yet, I am planning to use paraffin lamps until the power is installed in the shed.

Having looked at paraffin lamps for the first time in my life, I am a bit confused in choosing which ones to go for. There seem to be vintage ones 30 - 40 years old, but commanding comparatively highish prices. Are they really better functionally than modern ones made fresh out of the factory, or is it some collective antique value which is making them higher price tag?

But the new ones - while cheap and shiny looking, they look flimsy construction, which might last only for a few days and also might give problems like leaking fuel ..etc.

I am just wanting simple paraffin lamps which are reliable, sturdy and long lasting while giving out good amount of lights in the large shed (10x30ft).
I am not interested in fiddling with parts replacements, repairs and upgrades, and most importantly do not want fuel leakage.

Which ones are the best please?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ecoman

Sep 18, 2013
Isle of Arran
www.HPOC.co.uk
From experience I would recommend the older lamps. The new ones I have had were of very poor quality, scary thin glass that can shatter and I have had 2 that leaked fuel through the seams. The older lamps I have are spot on and far better made. I don't know if its a larger reservoir but they also seem to use less fuel too.

I also have a Coleman dual fuel lamp which is pretty good and a Pressure Lantern that I found at the back of a DIY shop in Market Rasen which is excellent and well worth the silly cheap price I paid for it.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
This sort of thing?

12HurricaneLanternAsstdcoloursHL201.JPG

Hurricane lantern. I've had the expensive and the cheap and to be honest there is little or nothing in it. They all use the same fuel, the same wick, throw out the same level of light.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-x-HURRI...8?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Lamps&hash=item2c729a96ec

I've Dietz and Feurhand lanterns and they are no better than the cheapo's from ebay really. With any tin plate lantern, expensive or cheap its worth giving a quick spray with high temp paint or plastikote.

Its worth you looking at pressure lanterns too because they throw out around 1Kw of heat and lots of light. Being static in a shed the mantles will last ages. I like Coleman these days but for paraffin look at Vapalux or Bialaddin. Once up and running they require little maintenance.

Hope this helps.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
If you want a basic light go for a Feuerhand hurricane lantern, they are bombproof and reliable but dont give out massive amounts of light.
my other choice would be a vapalux m320 lantern. Very bright and give out alot of heat too. They do need a little maintenance in terms of a service( changing rubber washers) now and again. But built to be squaddie proof so theres not much you can do to break them.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Mike's or Richard's suggestion depending on whether you want to read or not.

For lots of light, and not much hassle this takes some beating. (OK, so it's not paraffin)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Don't dismiss Propane gas lamps. They are very, very bright. They used to be used on building sites before generators. We still use them on farms etc.

Bullfinch or SItelight lit by British Red, on Flickr

They run off a large (47kg or 19Kg) propane tank with a regulator. A big tank gives many hundreds of hours of light and heat.

Look at "Bullfinch lantern" on e-bay

Superb things for off grid lighting - and very cheap to buy and "per hour" to run. As bright as a light bulb too.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
+1 for the Vapalux m320. They can be had new, and the quality of the new ones seems to be on a par with the older ones. The tank is brass, so very corrosion resistant. They are streets ahead of the modern variety in terms of reliability.

They do have a couple of downsides: the light isn't adjustable and they make a pronounced hissing noise.

As a bonus, they give out a fair amount of heat, enough to make a difference in my garage anyway. But be sure to hang it low enough that it won't burn whats above it. I got one of the reflectors too, which makes it look even nicer, and gives a better light distribution.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Another vote for the Feuerhands, I picked a couple up a few years ago and they've been great. They're a bit battered and rusty now but still work well.

The build quality doesn't instil much confidence but they do run well.

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
With the OP's requirements in mind I would probably go for butane/propane gas fed lighting like British Reds advice.

I love my Paraffin lamps and when working properly and looked after are great, but they fail on almost all the negatives the OP wants to avoid at some point in use.

You would also need at least 4 pressure lamps to light a space like you have with an average amount of light to work in and it would still be dim compared to modest electric lamps.

Gas means no leakage, bright and stable, reliable, no maintenance and easy lighting, the opposite of pressure lamps!!

Steve

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
the german paraffin lamps were very good quality.Feuer Hand and the glass is marked Suprax hope this helps.

Feuerhands are no better than the cheap versions, certainly in a shed, don't waste your money.

If the OP goes for the ebay type deal I'll give him a Feuerhand's free to keep for comparison and I'll pay the postage...thats how confident I am :)

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Some very useful and helpful posts here.

I will try out the ebay cheap lamps first, and see how they perform. I just went and ordered 3x of them, and they should be here in next few days. Thank you rik_uk for your offer of free trial on these type.

If they are not satisfactory, or failed with any reason, then I can always go for something upmarket or different from recommendation in this thread. If they perform well, and last, then I made right choice from the recommendation. Either way, I will come back here and report.

Many thanks for all your information and advice again. It has been a great chance for me to learn a lot about the oil / gas lamps.

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Gas means no leakage, bright and stable, reliable, no maintenance and easy lighting, the opposite of pressure lamps!!

Much as I love my pressure lamps, this is a fair point! The gas ones are cleaner to run and less fiddly for sure. Less charismatic maybe, but more practical!

A lot of people are recommending hurricane lamps here. I love these too, but the amount of light they produce is quite small - equivalent to a few candles only. A lovely light for camping, but if you're working on anything, it's likely not to be enough. Pressure and butane lamps typically have an output in the range of a 40-60W bulb.

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Feuerhands are no better than the cheap versions, certainly in a shed, don't waste your money.

If the OP goes for the ebay type deal I'll give him a Feuerhand's free to keep for comparison and I'll pay the postage...thats how confident I am :)

Can you buy the toughened glass to replace the £3.99 ones the reason I mention it was we had the glass explode in the tipi a few winters ago.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
A have a lovely old Vapalux, it's a treat to fuel it and get it going. If preparation is your thing then get one. I tend to get out my Markill and use the same gas canister I cook with, superb amount of light plus easy peasy instant illumination. Takes the small gas cans too.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000G4YR4A

Coleman are good too, get the steel mesh version and it'll do you a cuppa tea. All about balance though ;)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE