first date with the mongolian....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
nope ive not pulled a Mongolian bird,although i did work with a girl from the steppes once but that's another story.
Like many on here i have drooled over the Mongolian hotpot owned by the bushhcraft magazine guy that attends various shows,the Mongolian hot-pot cooker is a great idea dating back The Chinese hot pot has a history of more than 1,000 years and originated in .....would you believe it......Mongolia, the main ingredients cooked in it as a hotpot are usually beef, mutton or horse.,i have scoured the net for one of these cookers for years,i even bought one from the states for an arm and a leg and it was incomplete and couldnt send it back as it was £40 to post back to the US! Any how a couple of months ago i came across a small pocket stove made by primus at the car-boot sale for a fiver and knowing that my mate Eric is an avid collector and he was desperate for this model a deal was struck with Eric for his Mongolian hotpot,an item he refused to sell on many occasion!

DSC05851 by fishfish_01, on Flickr

So yesterday it was a hot one again and as most of the kids were at youth club helping out the flower fete in Tisbury so myself Charlie ,Sammy and Mrs Fish decided to go test the hotpot out at a favourite spot we frequent near home,a quiet out of the way chalk-stream ford with plenty of shade and clear water, aplace that has been used for at least two millenia by weary travellers ,journeymen and Romany Gypsies alike.

DSC05859 by fishfish_01, on Flickr
A view of the ancient ford.

The MHP (Mongolian hot-pot) was soon lit with the use of flint and steel and some nice dry tinder and sticks,the MHP fitted nicely on my kelly kettle base which was a bonus!. As its the hight of the veg growing season we took a few bits and bobs from the allotment and some home made venison and port sausages,the ingredients were quickly prepped and the dinner was bubbling away in no time ,filling the air with a lovely smell and quite different from the usual fayre of trout when at this fave spot of ours.

DSC05841 by fishfish_01, on Flickr
ingredients from the garden: purple sprouting,runner beans & red onion.

DSC05833 by fishfish_01, on Flickr
yours truly cooking

I was surprised how quickly the MHP got up to cooking temp,boiling 2 pints of stock in well under 5 minutes with a minimum of wood added,clearly this was every bit as useful as the kelly kettle ive owned for decades,working on the same simple technology .

DSC05837 by fishfish_01, on Flickr

DSC05846 by fishfish_01, on Flickr
boiling away nicely.

So within 20 minutes,pretty much the same time as in a kitchen our dinner was served,not wanting to blow my own trumpet but it was pretty darn fine as agreed by the others,Sammy being asleep on the grass as all the fun got just too much!

DSC05852 by fishfish_01, on Flickr
served: venison sausage hotpot in Mrs Fish's kuksa with a spoon whittled by me.

DSC05855 by fishfish_01, on Flickr
DSC05857 by fishfish_01, on Flickr
njoying the meal: Mrs Fish and Charlie.

So if you ever see one of these for sale at the car-boot sale grab it,its a great way of cooking out bushcrafting or just out and about.

thanks for looking.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Nice post mate, good pics too. I love those chalk streams, my sister is in Hampshire, near the Bluebell Line. It's a lovely place to spend time, not that I'm short of nice spots in Sussex.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I wonder if I could find my MHP, have not used it in years! Fitted charcoal brazier for heat.
Bought in a shop in China-town/Grant Street in San Francisco.

I agree completely = they are a vey civilized way to eat.
Never imagined using it outdoors, that must be the original technique?

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
I wonder if I could find my MHP, have not used it in years! Fitted charcoal brazier for heat.
Bought in a shop in China-town/Grant Street in San Francisco.

I agree completely = they are a vey civilized way to eat.
Never imagined using it outdoors, that must be the original technique?

i would imagine so,on long hunting forays perhaps,the steppes of Mongolia arent too covered in trees either so a meal cooked on a pound of wood has to be a good thing and labour saving device.

fishfish

Jul 29, 2007
wiltshire
Hello Fishfish! Nice to see a post from you. Looks great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks mate,i pop in often to have a look about,allways reading peoples excellent posts,been a busy year on the show circuit with the spoon carving,am at the great dorset steam fair this year,you going?

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
thanks mate,i pop in often to have a look about,allways reading peoples excellent posts,been a busy year on the show circuit with the spoon carving,am at the great dorset steam fair this year,you going?

Hadn't planned on it. We did a few years on the trot and nothing changed! Might be worth a revisit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Nice to see your mhp in use. Following that bushcraft mag article I too fancied one of these but couldn't find a good one at a decent price until a couple of months ago when I managed to get a really good one at a car boot for £7. Not mAnaged to use it yet but hoping to over the summer.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My Asian cook books call the pot/pan a Mongolian Fire Pot.
They go on to describe the preparation of the food, recipes and the cooking as a Mongolian Hot Pot.

I elected to present everything raw (meats and veg) with a dozen different sauces.
Using wire mesh basket spoons, each guest cooks what they like in the boiling chicken broth.
The finish is to break some eggs into the broth and serve aa a soup.

tim_n

Feb 8, 2010
Essex
Ironically my brother in law is over Mongolia way. Ive asked him for a belated birthday present :)

Sent from my XT1572 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
They're very bulky to transport as you can well imagine.

While I bought mine in San Francisco, I recall shopping regularly in the really old Chinese districts of Melbourne, Aus. and Vancouver, BC.
There must be some places similar, all over the world. Major cities in Britain = what have you got?

carabao

Forager
Oct 16, 2011
hove
This is a great way to eat with friends with lots of beers. It's a BBQ you cut pieces of meat nice and thin, prawns, squid lots of vegetables, like Chinese leaf, morning glory, mushrooms, what ever you fancy, glass noodles, good chicken stock, chilli sauce, and most important pig fat / belly pork. The pig fat is used to grease the sides of the BBQ to stop the other goodies sticking, you place the fat at the top of the cone when the BBQ is at the right heat, the grease then runs down the sides. To set up and eat, light BBQ place the pot on top, fill the rim/ bowl with the stock, place the vegetables, glass noodles in stock, and let it bubble away, pig fat on top, then you begin, place pieces meat / squid / prawns on the side to cook, when done fill your bowl with the stock and vegetable which has become like a soup and the cooked goodies and chilli to your liking and slurp away, drink beer and carry on.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/KOREAN-TABLE-CHARCOAL-BARBECUE-BBQ/dp/B00AAGKR1Q
This isn't my video but shows this BBQ in action
https://youtu.be/7j-ODk2PAoc

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE