Paraffin Lamp advice / recommendations please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad your cheapies worked out - mine were - defecatory - I guess it depends on which factory they came from :)

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Thanks~ True. It would also depend on luck as well? Cheapo, no name make products would have higher percentage of faults say 15 - 30% in their products, while well known, established expensive makes would have less than 1 - 3% due to more strict quality control? A bit like playing lotto. :)

Glad your cheapies worked out - mine were - defecatory - I guess it depends on which factory they came from :)

kawasemi

May 27, 2009
Where the path takes me
Also worth stripping the lantern and giving a quick spray with high temp paint or plastikote (I know, I said it before). A tiny drop of your wife's perfume in the tank or on the top of the hood will stop any odour but keep your wicks trim and tidy, don't burn too high and there should be very little smell.

If you've not stripped one down before, the ring on the top is not for hanging, pull it while holding the tank to raise the hood which allows the globe to tilt back for easy removal and cleaning/wick trim/change or spraying with paint. The globes on the bigger lanterns will be fragile so careful how you handle them and wash in warm water.

Worth getting in a stock of wick, buy by the metre off ebay, its cheap enough.

I know I'm bumping an old thread but there is some really good info here. Question please...when you spray with Plastikote, is it affected in any way by the heat and any recommendations for the inside of the tank as a coating to stop corrosion?

Cheers

K

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE