paracord monkeys fist lanyard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
just though I'd share this foliage/black lanyard I made

019.jpg

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
First, the paracord needle i use is made by a friend and no longer available to others. Google "anglefire skateworld" for a knotters site that sells his own version that someone told me works well.

This uses 20' of black and 12' od. The steel bearing is 1.5" & weighs almost 1/2 pound. Sliding adjuster allows anywhere from 15" overall to 30". Use your imagination for applications.

IMG_6314.jpg

IMG_6320.jpg

IMG_6319.jpg

IMG_6317.jpg

IMG_6316.jpg

006-6.jpg

004-12.jpg

001-10.jpg

...this blog (not mine) has great tutorials and ideas for creating a setup for making monkey's fists:

http://paracord-projects.blogspot.com/2010/03/monkeys-fist-knot.html

The monkey's fist is the hardest part (for an 1.5" ball you need 8 passes in the knot which is quite hard to keep organized and untangled and uniform during tightening process). The nail board shown on the blog is quite helpful. after the monkey's fist, you need two strand diamond knot, or lanyard knot which is all over the web, and my youtube channel has a vid on it too. Next is the four strand round braid; also an easy google. Final challenge is the "manrope knot" on the end, done around the standing end for form a loop. ... its a wall knot with all four strands (around the standing braid); then a crown knot on top; then one at a time with each end follow the wall, then follow the crown to double/triple it. ends should come out the bottom. the problem with a close crop/burn is that they could pull up during sliding; so I cut them a bit long and put a big blob burn on it; better than losing the ends.

Here is a how-to video by me:
YouTube - Paracordist How To: the weighted monkeys fist lanyard - manrope knot and 4 strand round braid

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
I did this little segment of braid for just one reason - to test the stopper knot known as the Double Wall Knot (ABOK p. 117, knot #676) for use as a stopper in my self defense lanyard. "your_comforting_company" from another online forum asked me why I didn't so some sort of decorative knot stopper for the sliding loop on the lanyard. It was a "duh" moment for me; I should be using something nicer. So I made this little piece to see how the knot would work (its the ring-like knot) in the middle. I think its going to be perfect. thanks!
040811003.jpg

040811002.jpg

040811001.jpg

Last edited:

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
I did this little segment of braid for just one reason - to test the stopper knot known as the Double Wall Knot (ABOK p. 117, knot #676) for use as a stopper in my self defense lanyard.

:yikes: Be very careful about stating in an open forum that you use a 1/2 lb steel ballbearing on a length of cord a "self-defence lanyard" because it implies you are "tooled-up"with it already!! This could easily be construed in these dark times that we live, as you leave your house carrying an offensive weapon.:rolleyes::banghead:

Just a thought :dunno:

Great knotwork though :)
ATB
Craeg

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
:yikes: Be very careful about stating in an open forum that you use a 1/2 lb steel ballbearing on a length of cord a "self-defence lanyard" because it implies you are "tooled-up"with it already!! This could easily be construed in these dark times that we live, as you leave your house carrying an offensive weapon.

Great knotwork though :)
ATB
Craeg
thanks; only reason I wrote "self defense" is because I didn't make it for offense. I live in one of the Free-est states in the USA (New Hampshire); I have no problem leaving the house legally with a pocket knife, a neck knife and a firearm - so getting in trouble for my key chain is not gonna happen. However that is not the case everywhere so I and others should heed your wise words of caution. Thanks!

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
Ah-ha that's what NH stands for :) but my words definately apply in the UK. Oh for the right to free-speech and the right to bear arms :D
ATB
Craeg

thanks craeg.

Here's the first one I actually made with a decorative stopper after someone suggested I try; its the double matthew walker knot. I like this knot (lower right in photo) and use it to end my firesteel paracord sheath, and to end my alice pack paracord handle; it is solid and just a perfect 'bump in the road' to prevent loss of the loop through the manrope knot on the lanyard. This is also the first I braided spiral rather than diamond on the 4-strand round braid. I'll do a quick tutorial on this knot soon.

monkey003.jpg

254-1.jpg

254.jpg

061.jpg

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
more fists. Made a series of "add on" monkeys fists. From large to small in red 1.5", 1" and 3/4" steel balls. These can be clipped to existing keychains, used for bolas etc. The black one is a 3/4" ball made entirely with gutted paracord. I did my best to keep the monkey fist "clean" looking, but gutted paracord is not the best for a monkeys fist! The final result is quite smaller than the red 3/4" one made with intact strands.

monkey007.jpg

monkey013.jpg

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
the "gutted" paracord one at the bottom of the last photo looks superb, really top work mate. i've looked at quite a few of your projects before, and gained some great inspiration, thanks.

stuart

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
shaggy, I really appreciate that. I was struggling with the gutted cord monkey's fist; I actually felt it was not up to snuff because its not perfectly "clean" with cord overlap etc..
the "gutted" paracord one at the bottom of the last photo looks superb, really top work mate. i've looked at quite a few of your projects before, and gained some great inspiration, thanks.

stuart

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
shaggy, I really appreciate that. I was struggling with the gutted cord monkey's fist; I actually felt it was not up to snuff because its not perfectly "clean" with cord overlap etc..

well to be fair mate, we can all tie knots in paracord when it's still got all it's structure to it, trying to tie knots in string that sometimes acts as though it's flat and sometimes acts like it's round is a slightly different matter. i used to spend quite a lot of time tying "fire-poi" from hollow lamp wick with wooden balls for the centre, luckily i didn't have to worry too much about the neatness of the knotwork because no-one looks that closely when it's all on fire and spinning around their heads, but still, not easy.

stuart

TJRoots

Nomad
Jul 16, 2009
East sussex
wow they are all incredible! i wish i could do stuff like that. i guess i'll just have to buy some paracord and start with basics and work my way up till i can do stuff like that. is there any particular pattern you would recommend to someone who's never done that sort of thing before? something that is easy to understand and would teach me the basics?

Paracordist

Forager
Mar 30, 2011
NH, USA
www.paracordist.com
wow they are all incredible! i wish i could do stuff like that. i guess i'll just have to buy some paracord and start with basics and work my way up till i can do stuff like that. is there any particular pattern you would recommend to someone who's never done that sort of thing before? something that is easy to understand and would teach me the basics?
thanks; this is the best I've found:
http://paracord-projects.blogspot.com/2010/03/monkeys-fist-knot.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE