paracord bracelet for sale...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
...£22!

http://www.firebox.com/product/2388/

for a fiver's worth of materials and ten minutes of weaving! after reading through the reviews, getting steadily more depressed, i decided to write my own:

A friend just showed me this page, and I was shocked! This is daylight robbery! You can make two of these of the same quality for half the price with materials from your local craft shop and outdoor store (or ebay) and instructions freely available around the web. It's a pleasant way to spend a free half hour, and you get the satisfaction of having made it yourself.

This, to put it bluntly, is for posers with more money than sense.

i have a funny feeling it won't get accepted, but i tried. the townies will just have to throw their money away.

you can't fault the company, i suppose. if the customers are silly enough to pay £15 more than they need to, then exploiting them is almost an imperative.

on a related note, i'm making one now with these instructions: http://stormdranespbtutorial.blogspot.com/. i figured it would be more productive than internet flash games. :eek:

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
might have a go at making one when i can be bothered to order some stuff lol.
made one last feb and i'm still wearing it has just started to de colour, and that was with the cheapo cord

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
you can always sell stuff to people if it saves them time or they haven't got one!
sad but true!

people have tried to buy, yes BUY natural flint, my area of the country theres so much of the stuff older buildings are made from it including a city wall and hundreds of churches (if not thousands)
go to the coast and there are scenes like this: (yes, its nearly all flint!)
mikefry1.jpg

lol, best way to make money produce stuff people buy!;)

Tye Possum

Nomad
Feb 7, 2009
Canada
Ya that's a bit much for something like that. They're really not hard to make, once you find a tutorial for one that you like, the rest is easy. That closure doesn't look that great either, I'd rather have a button or just a knot there than a big chunk of metal.

Of course some people just don't want to have to bother making one themselves so ordering one is an easier option, but of course if you can't be bothered doing a bit of braiding or weaving or whatever, then how are you going to know how to tie your knots when you really need that paracord.

kINGPIN

Nomad
Dec 14, 2009
Cambridgeshire UK
Whenever i have a quick look on ebay and see king alfred cakes for fire lighting being sold it always makes me laugh. Who buys a natural ushcraft item when they can be found in most woods?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Whenever i have a quick look on ebay and see king alfred cakes for fire lighting being sold it always makes me laugh. Who buys a natural ushcraft item when they can be found in most woods?

Trouble is there are some areas that they can't be found which is why some people buy them

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
The fifth reviewer mentioned Stormdranes tutorial site and received thanks from the seller for doing so.

No one is compelled to buy them, they choose to do so, at that price, its not exploitation, its the free market.

If, as you say, you can't blame the company, why try to ruin their sales?

64 customer reviews, all rating the bracelet highly, and what makes you think that they're all "townies"?

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
heh, had two friends round just before christmas, quick wrist measurement and i had two knocked up in 10-15 mins whilst chatting away. they're both well pleased ;)
because i was practicing them in work a colleague got interested and ended up making one for his m8 (secret santa thing) along with a playing card wallet.

The fifth reviewer mentioned Stormdranes tutorial site and received thanks from the seller for doing so.

No one is compelled to buy them, they choose to do so, at that price, its not exploitation, its the free market.

If, as you say, you can't blame the company, why try to ruin their sales?

64 customer reviews, all rating the bracelet highly, and what makes you think that they're all "townies"?

huh. i missed the link, my mistake.

i figured i'd help save some people some money and gain a skill at the same time. the company's profit margins aren't my concern; if they can rip people off and get positive reviews, more power to them.

because if they all bought the bracelet from there, it means a) they didn't shop around to find a version for less than a fifth of the price, b) they didn't already know the (low) value of paracord, and c) didn't see from the picture that it was actually a fairly simple weave that would most likely be found in books or on the internet. a combination of laziness, ineptitude and ignorance that has evolved in the people who choose to live in the places where everything is handed to you... cities.

Last edited:

Wallenstein

Settler
Feb 14, 2008
Warwickshire, UK
because if they all bought the bracelet from there, it means a) they didn't shop around to find a version for less than a fifth of the price, b) they didn't already know the (low) value of paracord, and c) didn't see from the picture that it was actually a fairly simple weave that would most likely be found in books or on the internet. a combination of laziness, ineptitude and ignorance that has evolved in the people who choose to live in the places where everything is handed to you... cities.
I wonder how many posters on BCUK are posting on computers they bought off-the-shelf from PC World or Dell etc, rather than ones they built themselves from scratch components?

Certainly hope yours is all built from individual parts, as if it's not it means a) you didn't shop around to find the parts for much cheaper prices, b) you didn't already know the (low) value of PC components, and c) didn't know that it's actually a fairly simple task that you can find online or in books

We've been over this before - just because someone chooses to buy off-the-shelf and not spend the time making their own knife/hammock/boots/stove doesn't mean they are an ignorant townie - any more than a gamekeeper who buys a PC from PC World isn't an ignorant rural bumpkin (which a lot of the tech-savvy townies I know would suggest).

;)

Still, always worth posting the stormdrane link again.. I have 100ft of paracord arriving next week, so I think I'll have a crack at a bracelet or two.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
the company's profit margins aren't my concern; if they can rip people off and get positive reviews, more power to them.

The "people", their customers, did not get ripped off, customers that get "ripped off" do not post positive reviews!

If, as you say the company wanted to exploit and rip off their customers, explain why they allow a link to Stormdrane's Tutorial website, and thank the customer whom posted it. You will notice that even this customer did not post that he felt exploited or ripped off!

Check review #4, which clearly shows that the company allow reviews which openly question the cost, and advise others how to make their own. These are hardly the actions of an unethical company.

The only thing it means is that the customer bought what they wanted, from whom they wanted, at a price they were obviously happy to pay!

Your utterly ignorant remarks about the customers serve no constructive purpose, other than to nurture your evidently low self esteem!

I wonder how many posters on BCUK are posting on computers they bought off-the-shelf from PC World or Dell etc, rather than ones they built themselves from scratch components?

Certainly hope yours is all built from individual parts, as if it's not it means a) you didn't shop around to find the parts for much cheaper prices, b) you didn't already know the (low) value of PC components, and c) didn't know that it's actually a fairly simple task that you can find online or in books

We've been over this before - just because someone chooses to buy off-the-shelf and not spend the time making their own knife/hammock/boots/stove doesn't mean they are an ignorant townie - any more than a gamekeeper who buys a PC from PC World isn't an ignorant rural bumpkin (which a lot of the tech-savvy townies I know would suggest).

;)

Still, always worth posting the stormdrane link again.. I have 100ft of paracord arriving next week, so I think I'll have a crack at a bracelet or two.

i'm posting from a customised dell laptop as no one made a laptop to my specification, but you make a valid point. i should know better than to generalise.

i think it was the shock of someone making a blatant 500% profit on something and still getting a large number of rave reviews. ;)

this reminds me, i'm going to get a picture of the bracelet i made last night while i'm thinking about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE