Parachute...

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
So, I've had a full military parachute for years now and have never actually got round to using it...thought I'd use it for the camp all the time but it just so happens someone else had one so mine stayed in its bag...
Now I'm thinking of cutting it up to have something made...
I've thought about a hammock but I'm more of a ground dweller these days and also a lightweight smock...both obvious ones.

So the question is if you had a spare parachute to make stuff with what would you use the material for??

All suggestions entertained...:)

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
I'd keep it intact and put it on the market or donate to your local scouts.

Parachutes are made from lots and lots of funny-shaped panels and these panels are sewn together very well indeed. Dismantling a 'chute to re-use the cloth is not worth the effort IMHO and is the sort of job they would have had convicts doing in days of yore. The alternative is to spread it out and cut the pieces of the new project out of it, treating it as on big piece of fabric, but then you end up with seams running all over the place, patches where there's half-a-dozen thickesses next to a single thickness, abrupt changes of colour etc. It's not waterproof and I'm told it's not particularly downproof either. They're not made of silk any more so there's no killings to be made in ladies underwear.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The best use would be to find a skydiving school and take lessons. But I believe they no longer use military surplus chutes like we did back in the day.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
LOL. Then put it to it's intended use and upgrade your license. Unless you're already at the D level.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi greg have a word with baucefilis of this forum he made a tarp out of one for redhandshane works pretty well from when i saw it regards dave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE