Parachute shelter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Hi

Right got parachute and clingons. What sort of length do you make the guys?

I'm thinking about 30' but is that too long or not long enough.

Would welcome advice

Thanks

Roger

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thats a lot of cord, are you just going to hang it or make a shelter from it?

[video=youtube;sNBNqxp2wcU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNBNqxp2wcU&list=UUOno kVCrKrlsQbsLIzV-Y4A&index=4&feature=plcp[/video]

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
I didn't bother with guy lines on mine.

I just ran a perimeter rope around the area where the chute was suspended and then used bungee cords out to the rope so the ground was clear of guy lines and the chute was tensioned where you wanted it to be, not dictated to by the surrounding trees :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Buy an expandable clothes line pole for £3 from Wilkinsons and your not dependant upon having a handy tree, you have a quick Tipi rig.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It's handy having some length on the centre cord for chucking over branches and tying off, for the rest of them it depends on how high you plan to pitch it. I don;t own one but I've strung up Toddys and Grooveskis plenty of times, I'd say about 10' on each tie out will do you.

You'll want some big pegs too because they can catch a lot of wind sometimes, I got some beauties made by WhittlerKev for my giant tarp but I think these guys have 18" marquee pegs

DSC02468P.jpg

Last edited:

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Nice steep pitch there Shewie, I have made some 18 inch pegs for Neil 1s set up at Broadstone out of hazel, a joy to make they were.
You'l be needing something sharp Roger to cut the guy lines, I have a couple of sharps that should be with you by the weekend mate, just want to show them to somebody before I say Adiós to them. :cool:

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
We just peg round the base with no guys. This is a pink cotton medical supply chute we use as an inner (£25) that goes inside a green cargo chute. Poles are old gazebo poles from the bins at B&Q.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I just have loads of bits of paracord and guyline and use what is needed where it is needed depending on the availability of nearby trees...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE