Paper Kettle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The mother-out-law was telling me about kettles/pan that they used to make out of newspaper. Take several sheets and fold in to some sort of box with handles, then hold over a fire. The dampness of the paper stops it burning.

Anyone know how they are made?

She called it a Rupert Kettle as she learnt the method out of a Rupert the Bear Annual when she was a kid.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
This is something that I remember being discussed on a diferent forum a few years back. There were people who had done it.

If I remember rightly it has to just be embers and I don't recall if it had to be multi layered or not. I always assumed it was single layered.

There is a box that I can fold that I just somehow know how to fold (one of those things that you learn and never forget) and I tried to heat it on the fire. The paper ended up splitting and putting the fire out! :-?

Haven't tried it again.

I've just done a quick search and come up with a couple of pages. I haven't tried either of them out.

This one seems best

This seems a it more complex but it might be sturdier

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I used to do that with a bunsen burner at school. Thin cardboard, folded into a box shape and secured with paperclips. Sit it on a tripod, burner underneath. The card can't get hotter than 100C is the idea...

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
When I was in the cubs, Akela took a paper cup, filled it with water, and held it over a candle flame until the water boiled.

The point is, that you *do not want* a great thickness of paper. Too much insulation, and the outer layer can reach its flashpoint and start to burn. You need a thin enough layer, so that the outside surface is kep below its flashpoint by conducting the heat to the water inside the cup.

Keith.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
A single sheet of paper folded into a tray shape, with fat or candle wax rubbed on the inside to prevent the water seeping though can be held over a fire without burning and the water inside will boil

you can also boil and fry on bannana leaves

the boiling point of water is lower than the flash point of the paper, and the water is drawing all the heat away from the paper

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Yeah water is a nice conductor of heat.

:bu:
If you want to see someone put their fingers in a bowl of molten lead (and not have them burnt) then click this link and scroll down to Hot Stuff!

The other videos are quite good too, but they go on for a bit.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Won a bet with this one once. Use a square of ordinary white writing paper, fold it into a paper cup (beginners origami model - type 1 !) fill it with water and boil it over a gas stove.

It's a bit hard to hold a soggy piece of paper with no handle, but it proved the point. Thin paper is good - to stop the paper drying out. Strong is good - otherwise it falls apart as soon as it gets wet.
I think it's important that the water can soak into the paper since this is what draws the heat away and stops it charring.

:biggthump Alick

TheJim

Feb 14, 2012
UK
The best type of paper to use is from a paper potato sack!
Multiple layers ends up being water-tight and strong. The worst the outer layer gets is a bit crispy as long as the flames/heat are hitting the part of the paper holoding the body of water.
i.e. any flaps of paper or twists at the top of the vessel that you can hang it from a stick that the water body does not deflect from will burn!

Enjoy!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You can also fry up bacon and eggs in a paper bag - do not let the flames toutch the greasy paper though or it will catch fire!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE