Pain in the neck

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I was using a adjustable back system rucksack,with it definately sat on my hips, belt nice and snug and i still got cramped trap's,granted i had the shoulder straps pulled tight,but any loosening of them caused the pack to drop further down and that felt very awkward and unnatural on my back, like i said earlier i think because i had'nt done much distance with a heavy-ish pack for a while that added to problem, but even in my younger fitter days long distance stuff always got my traps more than anywhere else,could possibly be a genetic/body shape type thing?

I'm used to having the pack as high up as possible, probably because I wore one with webbing. Your trap's will get used to it though.

Although I like the look of the old school knapsack shape, unless they had an external frame I've never really got on with them as I found these pulled downwards.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Well that answers that one, yes it does, and I had wondered if I was an odd shape. Slackened off the shoulder straps to drop the hip strap down and found the webbing strap (for want of a better word) started chafing on my armpits. Will look into redistribution of weight. and see if that helps. Maybe I should just man up and push through.

Hi,

From your discription it sounds like the back length on the pack is too short for you. Opening up the shoulder straps allows the pack to drop down so the waist belt is lower but you then get problems with the webbing shoulder strap adjusters rubbing..

I took a look at the webtex website last night and from what I could make out they only offer one size of back length on the Copy PLCE bergen they produce..

I reckon you'll be better off adjusting the shoulder straps for the best fit and forgetting about the waist belt. Getting some weight out of the pack will undoubtedly help a bit. But it sounds as if with that current pack you'll end up carrying most of the weight on your shoulders.

If I lived closer you'd be more than welcome to come over and borrow something from the hire / group kit I have.

What a PITA.....

John

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
as andybysea said get the heavy stuff in the middle or top of the bergan if you can, test and test un till you get it right....

dont have things diging into your back or to top heavy but have enough heavy kit in the top to balance the load so you can move around with ease.....

make sure your top straps are nice and tight, get them right and then tape the remainder of the webbing up so it wont slip after 10 miles and become loose which will cause back rub and get very sore after a while or when you start to run...

as for extra padding, forget it, i have tried it and after a while it was worse than before.

use the waist belt, have it tight, this will keep the bergan from swinging about if your going over rocks and rough ground, also keep it high up on your back hence the tight sholder straps.

all you can do if your going to be useing this bergan alot...... TAB TAB TAB TAB TAB, you could also try working on your traps in the gym by doing shrugs and sholder exercises, this will help a bit, you will still be sore though untill you get used to it....

been tabing all my life (army) and never realy have a problem untill i start to run when the bergan bounces around a bit which nacks ur sholders that much quicker......

hope this helps..

chris...........................

sandsnakes

Life Member
May 22, 2006
West London
Ditto nomads comment. Went for a yomp last year with an issue bergan, the padding on the straps was very iffy, felt like iron bars on the shoulders. Spent the cash and got a 'forces rucksack' (highlander clone) from Endicotts. The difference is sublime!

Some things you do need to spend the cash on.

S

Left Turn

Dec 14, 2009
US (northern california)
For me, I find that the conventional wisdom of the heavy load near the middle of the pack (internal frame) or top of the pack (external) does not work for me. The heaviest item I carry (most dense) is a bear cannister full of food. It goes on the very bottom of my pack. Otherwise, I feel like I'm being perpetually pulled backwards by the pack.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Did 13 miles on Sunday and was quite surprised that the legs lasted, just the shoulders let me down.

I've just re-read your first post Jack.

Lots of good advice in this thread, notwithstanding;

Your legs lasted 13 miles - you've been using them since you could walk. Your shoulders and mine haven't even come close to that kind of use.

Liam

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
I've just re-read your first post Jack.

Lots of good advice in this thread, notwithstanding;

Your legs lasted 13 miles - you've been using them since you could walk. Your shoulders and mine haven't even come close to that kind of use.

Liam

lol. I know what you mean, should have maybe pointed out that the old legs have taken a few knocks over the years. Still recovering from a broken ankle 7 years ago.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Thanks for advice guys. I altered the weight to the belt as recommended and was able to carry more, with less pain! Thumbs up! (and to think I been carrying my rucksack incorrectly for 15 years!, no wonder I got back problems)

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Well all done and dusted. Am now sat in Glasgow airport after a full on weekend learning to navigate in the mountains. Got my pack weight down to 18 kilos, packed it a bit different as per all your suggestion and just roughed it out. Couldn't have been luckier with the weather. We had sunshine and clear skies all day Saturday. And as we were camping above 650 metres, quite a frost in the morning. Sunday started off great and only started raining once we got back to the car. On the drive back down today we came through snow and rain most of the way.

Pictures to follow if the camera survived the cold.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE