Paddle on Loch Ard

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Paddled on Loch Ard today, (a small loch in the trossachs,near Loch Achray) loadsa large black dragonfly, blue small dragonfly, one landed one my arm but could not get a photo. Also very small silvery flies skidding around in circles near the watersedge. A buzzard hovering over some reeds as well. Not many lillies in bloom but plenty of tall reeds. It is certainly the best way to see river and loch wildlife and flora.

Blue dragonfly/damsel flyone of these http://www.cirrusimage.com/damselfly_northern_bluet_.htm
or http://www.dragonflysoc.org.uk/photos/ledrym1.jpg ?????? Any ID experts ?

Couple of photos.

Nick

1242627524_6c50949e76_m.jpg

1242612112_65ded8de7e.jpg

1241544165_16a13ba2d3.jpg

1241541829_e93ef3e1c4_m.jpg

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
My family love the pics on SOtP, may take a trip up sometime.Had this chap cadging a lift to the pub last time I paddled the Suffolk Stour.

P1010361.jpg

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
Hi there, Similar question to John C also would the Loch be suitable for an inflatable canoe or are there likely to be snags or other hazards that you are aware of where you access. Any permission required or saught. I believe from a Scots magazine that there isone of Rob Roy's caves visible and accessible from the loch do you know of it?

Is ther a particular put-in point you'd recommend? Or good place to leave the car?
Turn left at Kinlochard post office and the wee blether cafe, the put in is just behind the shop, safe parking too...

A buddy and I were at the next loch Up hammocking on an island over the weekend (Loch Chon...) and by eck that was some wind on Sat night...:eek: nuts in a hammock!

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
Hi there, Similar question to John C also would the Loch be suitable for an inflatable canoe or are there likely to be snags or other hazards that you are aware of where you access. Any permission required or saught. I believe from a Scots magazine that there isone of Rob Roy's caves visible and accessible from the loch do you know of it?

It's an okay loch for canoes of the blowup variety. No real permission up here needed.
The cave is obvious. The rocky island near it is a cool wee brew stop. I prefer the put in at the eastern end of the loch. Gives more options if the weather is windy.

www.songofthepaddle.co.uk has a blogg section you can search thru for photos etc from other paddlers trips there. It's 45mins from my house so I like that loch. Can still get a evening paddle in after work thru the week.:D

Nick

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE