Packing up tarp single handed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
I was sorting through some of my stuff and for reasons not even known to myself I opened up my tarp.

I checked over it to make sure all was well and then came the time to pack it up.

As I was on my own it was a bit of a struggle - I'm glad I was indoors and not out in the wind.

What do you do - fold up or just scrunch it into a bag???

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
Some people scrunch it up into it's stuff sack, easy with the issue ones becauzse they're small.
With larger ones like an Andywinkk 4.5m x 3.5m i find it better to roll it up
Some people roll it in such a way as to leave all the guys on it so when it comes to setting it out you just lob it up.
Bushblade put up an excellant tutorial somewhere.

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
depends.......

if it is wet (and i'm not going to have to set it up again) i just stuff it in a drybag

if dry i'll fold it up, initally with it still tied to the trees i concertina it up then undoing one side fold it up and wrap tightly with the cord - it is easy to make it tight as you can pull against the tree as you wrap it round

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
I was out in the woods last week and i had to pack my tarp up single handed as my other hand was bandaged due to a slight slip with my Axe. I opted for the stuff in the stuff sack method. And the teeth and leatherman methos for untying some of my knots :)

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
depends.......

if it is wet (and i'm not going to have to set it up again) i just stuff it in a drybag

if dry i'll fold it up, initally with it still tied to the trees i concertina it up then undoing one side fold it up and wrap tightly with the cord - it is easy to make it tight as you can pull against the tree as you wrap it round

What he said...

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
depends.......

yep +1 for me for this method

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
at least its not my porched tent, which has no sane mathod of folding.

(Now you know why I like my Vango Force 10, as it folds just like my sheets...How i hate folding sheets on my own!)

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
My usual pack has an enormous mesh pocket on the back, perfect for quickly stuffing a tarp into if the rain is lashing down or it's a bit windy. Stops the rest of the kit getting wet by association :) When conditions are a little calmer I usually simply fold the tarp into a small bundle, mostly to keep the guys tangle-free.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I concertina it up along the ridgeline, roll it up into a sausage shape and then wrap the cord around it.

Have a look for Bushblades hammocking tutorial which shows it really well.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
I concertina it up along the ridgeline, roll it up into a sausage shape and then wrap the cord around it.

This would be my 'normal' way of packing it up. If I have an extra pair of hands to help.

I think if I'm on my own the scrunch it up method would be best - into a dry bag if wet.

I'd love to see someone try to do a neat folding job in a gale!!!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
This would be my 'normal' way of packing it up. If I have an extra pair of hands to help.

I think if I'm on my own the scrunch it up method would be best - into a dry bag if wet.

I'd love to see someone try to do a neat folding job in a gale!!!

You can always chuck it on the floor once it's folded up and then roll it, I have to do this with my bigger tarps anyway as there's too much fabric to grab hold of.
I've found having a bigger dry bag is useful too for when it's blowing a hoolie and you just want to ram it in and pack up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE