Packing eggs

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
Has anyone successfully managed to pack fresh (unboiled) eggs for, say, two days in a rucsac. Mine break with everything I've tried!

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
Hey,

Last time I took eggs in my rucksack was last friday. A breakfast isn't a breakfast without a fried egg...

Anyway, it's not very bushcrafty, but I just wrapped them in bubble wrap. It was the first time they havn't broken!

Dan

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i've got a plastic egg carrier i got in a camping shop that does the job. i think you can still get them. they look like plastic egg boxes

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
:)
harlequin said:
Has anyone successfully managed to pack fresh (unboiled) eggs for, say, two days in a rucsac. Mine break with everything I've tried!

:) We always bring eggs on canoe trips. We usually cook them the first or second morning. We have some of those plastic carriers, but most often just use the carton the eggs come in from the store. We tape it with duct tape, and place it in a large zip-lock bag. Part of our food strategy is to have a cardboard box inside the food pack. We always place the eggs on top and are very careful with the food pack (it's not a chair! :banghead: ). Though we had one cracked egg (still useable) on a trip last summer, I can't remember the last time we broke an egg to the point it was not useable.

PG

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi Harlequin,have you considered taking dried whole egg powder instead of fresh eggs. I use this instead,the powder i use is made by Supercook, i got it from Asda. Anyway just a thought!

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
Tor helge said:
When I bring eggs I usually crack them in a wide mouth plastic bottle before leaving home. That way I don`t worry about breaking the eggs.
The fried content is however more of an omelet :) .

Tor

Good idea Tor :)

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
We now use the plastic egg trays available but when I was younger we used the cardboard egg container padded with crumpled newspaper. The food goes in a chuck pack and either hung out of the way or in an canoe tethered from shore (bears). CG :yo:

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
Tupperware "beaker" container, and use oats for padding..... Could use something else that is suitable for padding like sugar, milk powder etc, and still suitable for other purposes...

Daniel

Nomad
Apr 20, 2005
Berkshire
innocent bystander said:
Tupperware "beaker" container, and use oats for padding..... Could use something else that is suitable for padding like sugar, milk powder etc, and still suitable for other purposes...

What a great idea, using another foodstuff for padding the eggs. :)

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
innocent bystander said:
Great idea!
Hope you remember to wash the eggs though, we all know where they've just come from!:)

hollowdweller

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
appalachia
I have this six egg container (see pic) It works pretty well. You can take one of the eggs and put it in the little flat teapot and boil an egg and your tea or coffee at the same time.

Do you all like fried or boiled eggs? Normally I like fried, but sometimes if I am going to be hiking hard eating fried stuff for breakfast or lunch burns my stomach.

gear3.jpg

harlequin

Aug 8, 2004
UK
innocent bystander said:

Thanks IS my egg packing problems are now over. I also like porridge!
:You_Rock_

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
I'm not that big a fan of fried eggs - I prefer them boiled in some way, or scrambled. Also makes less of a mess.

I'd agree with the porridge - the ultimate breakfast!

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
Slightly off topic [but only just]........ does anyone know where I can get powdered whole egg from?

I've asked before, and the usual supermarket suspects came up- Tesco, Lidl etc etc....... but I've been round them all with no success......... I even tried a commercial bakery to no avail........ any suggestions?

nooky

Nomad
Oct 26, 2005
Watton, Norfolk
Don Redondo said:
Slightly off topic [but only just]........ does anyone know where I can get powdered whole egg from?

I've asked before, and the usual supermarket suspects came up- Tesco, Lidl etc etc....... but I've been round them all with no success......... I even tried a commercial bakery to no avail........ any suggestions?

I just got mine from Sainsburys in the baking section - but if you have tried your local and they cant help then you could try here:
http://www.1940.co.uk/acatalog/Miscellaneous.html
Just scroll down until you find the tube of powdered eggs.
P&P is about £1.50 according to the site.
hope this helps.
Andrew.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE