Pack Recommendation to fit USMC Modular Sleeping System

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

WiPPaH

Mar 30, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Hi All,

I have just started out and purchased a USMC Modular Sleeping System (which is awesome by the way!) however now I am looking for a pack that will be able to contain it.

I have an old 65l civie Karrimor kicking about, but when the stuff sack is in the main compartment there is pretty much no room left! On my first trip I strapped it to the bottom of the pack, which seemed fine, but I would rather have it inside.

I was looking at the Highlander Range, perhaps the 55l, do you think I will have problems? What do other USMC sleeping system owners use?

I did pick up this item: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270571443860 recently to give me a clue on how small they should compress and allow for better attachments to the bottom of a smaller pack if needed.

Thanks in advance,
Chris

WiPPaH

Mar 30, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Hi Launditch1,

I did look into those but they look HUGE(!) and didnt want to get into the habit of overpacking as from what I have read its very easy to do :)

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
Heh..yeah they are huge..they go with the mss which is the size of a house too!
I love mine but i havent hauled it any real distance yet so cant recommend a pack.Ive just had it strapped to an old alice pack.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I use an MSS all year round. I just use an other arms bergen in the winter, compress the MSS right down and it'll fit in the bottom of the pack.

http://www.britishmilitarysurplus.co.uk/shopscr70.html

They're cheap as chips and easy to find and fit everything I need in the winter. I do have loads strapped to the outside though as the MSS takes up nearly half the pack. Roll mat and tarp on the bottom, mess tin and biners on the front, water bottles on the sides and my axe on the top, rag and boneman styles.

I wouldn't say they're the most comfortable packs, I've got better but they're bigger and I tend to overpack with them so this limits what I take a bit. Might be worth a punt for a tenner and you can put plce pouches on it as well if you want. I don't think many people like them though to be honest with you, but it works for me...

WiPPaH

Mar 30, 2010
Hampshire, UK
Thanks Sasquatch I will look into that pack.

Out of interest how small do you get your MSS bag? Also how do you pack it? I started off by having it setup fully (black in green, green in bivvy) and rolling from the foot end to the head, but its pretty big!

I then read that people stuff in the black first, then green, and pack the bivvy separately. This did make it smaller but not really sure if stuffing is a good idea, plus it means I now have 2 items to pack instead of the 1 compression sack with it all in.

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I just put it all together into the compression sack. I don't bother with the 3 straps running horizontal, just kneel on it and do all the vertical ones as tight as you can. I can get them near enough all the way, the bag is then a bit bigger than a basketball. I obviously don't store it that way, I compress it just before I go and give it a good shake when I take it out. If you do it all this way in the bivvi bag you could hang it under your pack to free up space if you want as it shouldn't get wet...

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
IIRC, stuffing is the way to go with these as it reduces "bunching" of the insulation and is also recommended for goretex to prevent undue wear along creases.

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
I've used MSS or components of it; for most of the trips out/meets I've been to.

Up until recently I used to roll up the bits I was using i.e. bivi and bag, with self inflating mat and slide it into the compression sack as a kind of 'bed roll' strapped on top of my Alice pack.

On site I could just drag the lot out and job done.

I've got one of the MSS carriers you recently bought from eBay. It's now attached to the bottom of my Alice pack and frame and holds bivi, Z bag and other kip related bits.

Our friends across The Pond call it a Hellcat mod or ALLE pack.

Used it at the North Wood meet and was well happy with it. I'll dig the link out if you want a looksie.

Here you go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/alle1.jpg

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I've got one of the MSS carriers you recently bought from eBay. It's now attached to the bottom of my Alice pack and frame and holds bivi, Z bag and other kip related bits.

Our friends across The Pond call it a Hellcat mod or ALLE pack.

Used it at the North Wood meet and was well happy with it. I'll dig the link out if you want a looksie.

Here you go:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/caneyforkoutfitters/alle1.jpg

I didn't realise you could get those, thanks for that Neil! Are they expensive to get shipped from the States or did you get it from our Ebay?

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
I didn't realise you could get those, thanks for that Neil! Are they expensive to get shipped from the States or did you get it from our Ebay?

Only cost about £6 on US eBay Chad but the postage soon boosted that up :eek:

Had to be done though and it's rare they come up for sale here.

Only took a week for it to arrive and I had some other items from the same seller so the shipping was combined.

WiPPaH

Mar 30, 2010
Hampshire, UK
That's very cool nolightweight!

I was almost considering getting a Molle II pack imported, but the shipping is just crazy! There's also the import tax to think of :(

Will also try ignoring the horizontal straps when stuffing!

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
That's very cool nolightweight!

I was almost considering getting a Molle II pack imported, but the shipping is just crazy! There's also the import tax to think of :(

Will also try ignoring the horizontal straps when stuffing!

Thanks WiPPaH :) That's a pic from one of the US forums; not of my pack. Mine is set up pretty much the same.

I almost bought the MOLLE pack from Surplus and Outdoors last year but the ones they had in weren't in great condition (I went to the shop)

As you say; shipping etc would be outrageous. Not too bad on parts of the system though.

As for the MSS just pack the parts you need.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE