Pace counting

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madfaxman

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 27, 2007
Belfast
www.vocalireland.com
Telegraph poles in the city are 25 mtrs apart so 4 makes 100 mtrs

Also they are numbered. So if ur lost on a country road walk between 2 of them ...if the number go's down then ur heading towards town.

You can also look at the ground and figure out how many football pitches will fit into the space. So 4 pitches - 400 mtrs and so on, the only prob with that is if you cant see all the ground between you and your "target"

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
madfaxman said:
You can also look at the ground and figure out how many football pitches will fit into the space. So 4 pitches - 400 mtrs and so on,

Not in the UK mate - In real football not all pitches are the same size..

The length of a pitch must be between 100 yards (90m) and 130 yards (120m) and the width not less than 50 yards (45m) and not more than 100 yards (90m).

Variations abound....UEFA and FIFA require all pitches to be a 105 metres long and 68 metres wide for International standard and Champions League games

:)

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Does anyone know of a reliable feature (street lamp, road marking etc) that is 100m or a multiple of 100m apart?

Cheers

Shaun

The running track at your local sports centre could be useful.

Pace counting is something I used to know when I was about 14/15, but have long since forgotten (and obviously my stride has changed)

I used to use a length of string with knots, pull the knots through a button hole in my jacket.

madfaxman

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 27, 2007
Belfast
www.vocalireland.com
Not in the UK mate - In real football not all pitches are the same size..

The length of a pitch must be between 100 yards (90m) and 130 yards (120m) and the width not less than 50 yards (45m) and not more than 100 yards (90m).

Variations abound....UEFA and FIFA require all pitches to be a 105 metres long and 68 metres wide for International standard and Champions League games

:)

Thats true but for the purpose of estimating distance if you use 100 yrds as the general rule for the size of a football pitch it makes it just that little bit easier.

Just remember that if you cannot see all the ground between you and your target (Dead Ground) that the estimation will be out. So estimate the distance to the dead ground and then again from the other side of the dead ground.

We used Telegraph poles (for city streets) and 100yrd football pitches (countryside) as general distance way back when i was in the Army (British Army).

Ben Trout

Nomad
Feb 19, 2006
Wiltshire, GB
I walked with our 45 Ten Tors team last Saturday. One of the checkpoints was Combestone Tor. We approached on the road from Hexworthy direction. The Tor is just off the road, about 300 metres after crossing a river. There were a couple of minibuses parked up at the car park, with the shape of the Tor visible through the mist. We walked past, I thought OK where are you going to take me? We got as far as Venford Reservoir, best part of two kilometres, before the team realised that they had missed the Tor. Hopefully that is lesson learned on the value of pace counting and timing.

Like a lot of navigation tools, counting is good but is worth combining with other techniques. I tend to go for both pace counting and timing (set the ETA on the watch bezel). I have a very poor short term memory so counting is not very reliable for me (dyslexics have more fnu).

Athletic tracks are probably the best bet for measuring your pace. As mentioned before I have this on my rucsack;

SANY0120.jpg

I'm pretty good at estimating my walking pace, thanks to lots of comparing with GPS.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE