ozpig

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

heath

Settler
Jan 20, 2006
Birmingham
that looks fantastic. My wife wants to get a chiminea for the garden but I'd much rather get something like that. Does anyone know where you can get something similar from the UK?

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Looks fantastic and likewise I'd love to have one rather than a chimena. Only issue if you were to make it yourself was the safety implications of cutting open a couple 9kg gas tanks. You'd have to make sure they were totally inert and empty or you're gonna have real problems......

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Hmmnnn could you use something like this.....

Helium is inert so messing about with something here...maybe a cheapo (massive dutch oven? Or brazier?)

I just cant help myself when people are throwing things away!
Dave

Huon

Native
May 12, 2004
Spain
Why this dislike of chimineas? They work fine in the garden, look good, you can smoke in them as well as grill and bake and the kids are less likely to damage themselves if they brush against hot ceramic as opposed to hot metal.

You don't need the portability (comparative) of the pig in the garden.

Cheers,

Huon

Looks fantastic and likewise I'd love to have one rather than a chimena. Only issue if you were to make it yourself was the safety implications of cutting open a couple 9kg gas tanks. You'd have to make sure they were totally inert and empty or you're gonna have real problems......

TobyH

Forager
Apr 4, 2006
Deepest, Darkest Suffolk
I'm sure I've heard about a chap down in devon that makes burners out of old gas bottles, can't remember where I saw it but apparently they are selling very well...

dr jones

Feb 21, 2007
west wales
I saw these at the Dorset Steam Fair last week superb bits of kit and really well made and the suprising thing is they light to carry when dismantled . i was chatting to the guys on the stand with one lit and it gave off next to no smoke ! apparently they are made from pressed steel so if you need to put it out in a hurry you can chuck a bucket of water over it and not have to worry about buckling or cracking ( he claimed)

I'm sure I've heard about a chap down in devon that makes burners out of old gas bottles, can't remember where I saw it but apparently they are selling very well...

My son made a gas bottle wood burning stove earlier this week. He salvaged an old gas bottle he found dumped in a hedge.

Here he is at work - I think he's cutting a wee piece to cover the hole in the top in this picture - the large metal thing (that looks to me like an old laundry basin) was also something he found lying in a layby.

He made the chimneys from the pole from our old whirlygig..

We tried it in very high winds last Tuesday. It took a while to work out how much to open the lower ash door and fire doors to get a good draught to get a roaring fire.

But we eventually got some heat in it. (The wheelbarrows are propped up to provide a wee bit shelter from that awful wind i mentioned!)

When the fire had died down a bit I stuck the kettle on and it was blowing a head of steam in no time.

He's now scraped off more of the red paint and plans to give it a lick of black fire paint.

Deerman

Aug 29, 2009
North Yorks
www.hcleathers.co.uk
I saw these at the Dorset Steam Fair last week superb bits of kit and really well made and the suprising thing is they light to carry when dismantled . i was chatting to the guys on the stand with one lit and it gave off next to no smoke ! apparently they are made from pressed steel so if you need to put it out in a hurry you can chuck a bucket of water over it and not have to worry about buckling or cracking ( he claimed)

that was either me or Tim you spoke to and yes the will go out with a bucket of water and not buckle of crack we put the demo one out every day after the show like that.

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I like the look of these very much indeed... even SWMBO thinks it would be good in the garden in the summer, and then I can "borrow" it for the Lavvu in winter... just need my flat to sell first... Are there any stockists north of the border at all, not that it really matters, just curious.

ATB,

KP

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE