Oyster Mushrooms

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
The Morels are over here now mostly, along with 'Mousseron' or St Georges Mushrooms (Calocybe gambosa) :( But the'Girolle' or Chanterelle (Cantharellus cibarius) will be around soon enough in woodlands, hiding under the leaves usually ;)

I visited a local wood at the weekend where I have picked Oyster Mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus) in the past from a large fallen beech, and sure enough, after the recent rains and warm temperatures I picked a couple of kilos :) They are most often found in the autumn and winter when it is milder. Here are a few photos I took.

Oyster mushrooms often grow on fallen or dead/dying deciduous trees but especially beech. As this is quite a recent fall, I reckon it will keep producing for a few years yet and a site I have noted for future visits ;)

nat-pleurote_grandmas-05.jpg

Typically hanging off the trunk in groups. Colour varies even on one tree from dark dun brown to quite a yellowish tinge to the gills as they grow older.

nat-pleurote_grandmas-01.jpg

Close Up View. If you look closely you can just make out the white mycelia (the vegetative part of a fungus, consisting of a network of fine white filaments (hyphae)) around the area where it is growing out of a crack in the tree bark.

nat-pleurote_grandmas-04.jpg

Detail. Shows well why they are called 'oyster' mushrooms ;) Note how it is growing out of the cracking bark. The mycelia grow under the bark and into the rotting wood where they gather nutrients from the dead tree. The mushroom is the fruiting body of the actual fungi and it carries on living even if the mushroom is cut off. I always leave older specimens to allow them to spawn.

nat-pleurote_grandmas-02.jpg

Under View. You can see this is an older mushroom and the spores have begun to release and darken the gills underneath. The edges are starting to shrivel. Still OK to eat but do leave some and only take what you need. I also take a couple of older ones and rub then into cracks of other beech around hoping to spread these delicious treats :)

nat-pleurote_grandmas-03.jpg

There is little to confuse them with, but check the link above for decent identification information and any decent mushroom guide. There is another species of Pleurote which is also equally good eating and grows also on this tree too but not at this time called Branching Oyster (Pleurotus cornucopiae). As with all mushrooms If In Doubt, Leave It Out! Here in France anyone can take their mushrooms to a local pharmacy and they will check them for you. Very sensible. They are widely cultivated now and sold in supermarkets in the UK and France now, but nothing beats picking your own organic freebies :)

Before eating check for any insects which like to hide in the gills and cut off any woody part where it was cut from the tree (I never wash mushrooms to retain as much flavour as possible, just brush off any moss, dirt etc). On older specimens check for maggots.

I ate the first picking with a stir fry of chicken and black bean sauce and rice. The second, sliced and served in a creamy sauce with some fresh coriander with chicken again.

happy foraging :)

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Simon, we have a similar harvest of Oyster Mushrooms in Epping forest. For many years its been one of my annual tasks to pop over and harvest a few.

I love em cut into slices and then fried with bacon or ham and served with a little side dish of nettle puree. Wash it down with a glass of mead and you have a happy person.

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Gary said:
Simon, we have a similar harvest of Oyster Mushrooms in Epping forest. For many years its been one of my annual tasks to pop over and harvest a few.

I love em cut into slices and then fried with bacon or ham and served with a little side dish of nettle puree. Wash it down with a glass of mead and you have a happy person.
A glass of mead sounds a nice addition Gary :) What time of year do you usually visit? I was pleasantly surprised to see them now, usually I would check in the Autumn.

Marts

Native
May 5, 2005
London
I found a beech tree covered in them this weekend. Didn't realise what they were at the time so only brought a few back. I shall have to get back there soon and collect more. :)

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Nice one Marts :)

It is interesting that they are associated with the cooler months but with the right combination of warmth and humidity they can appear any time.

These are from the same tree as before (see previous photos), only taken a few weeks ago back in June.

nat-pleurote_juin_2005.jpg

Remember that there are two species of oyster mushrooms both equally as good and found in the same places, sometimes together, Oyster Mushrooms (Pleurotus ostreatus), the one often cultivated and sold in supermarkets and Branching Oyster (Pleurotus cornucopiae). See earlier post for links for more details.

in the 300 or so species of wild mushrooms i've eaten during the past four years, the only one to make me vomit was the oyster mushroom. i was walking someone's dog (let's call him Guts-o'-Iron) in Olympic National Park (Washington State, US) one morning when i decided that it was time for a spot of breakfast. having no food with me, i spied some oyster mushrooms growing on Alder or Big-Leaf Maple (can't remember which). at that time, i was also experimenting with eating raw mushrooms* (got about 100 species behind me so far), so i popped a few into my gullet, on an empty stomach. tasty. fortunately so, because after 15 minutes i got to taste them again--coming out. after dislodging the offending fungi, Guts-o'-Iron wolfed my offering down. kinda like a mommy bird feeding a baby bird. no wonder i'm a cat person...

i've also eaten a related species of Oyster Mushroom--the Angel Wings (Pleurotus porrigens):
angelwings.jpg

*don't try this at home..unless you want to or you have a spare liver hanging around...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE