Overnighter in Pontypool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
The Big Lebowski invited me for an overnighter near his place in Pontypool, so I could try winter hammocking for the first time, and I was up for the challenge. Possibly the mention of some of Al's venison stew had something to do with my enthusiasm.

The weather was blustery but largely dry, so we set off on the epic 200 yard trek from Al's place to the site (Al made 4, count them, 4 trips back to the house over the course of a single night), and got ourselves set up

Al's set-up. I forgot to take a shot later when he had the hammock up as well, but he was helping me with mine.
6743877835_4285f29903_z.jpg

My effort (before the wind did things to the guy lines and redistributed my nice new titanium tent pegs!). I wasn't using an underquilt as i don't own one, but a second sleeping bag as mat worked really well, and it wasn't a cold night anyway.
6743880559_bf5d24bba5_z.jpg

Al crafed a nice little cooking set up. Note the dutch oven with enough venison stew to feed 4, pre-cooked so it just needed heating and the addition of some salami dumplings. I've had a few of Al's campfire offerings, but this was one of his very best.
6743884025_73b907855f_z.jpg

The stew was for later though. First I rattled up a quick brunch of smoked bacon, scrambled eggs, and scones (we had no bread), and that went down passably too. We were using what I think Al called a Dakota fire pit. Whatever, it worked, although with damp wood it struggled to stay alight at times.
6743874167_f263537095_z.jpg

Shortly afterwards we were suddenly invaded by a bundle of Jack Russel terriers, as a couple of guys came past on their way for a spot of rabbiting. They knew the landowner, and had permission, so that was ok. We had a chat and they moved on. An hour or so later they returned, and asked if we wanted a rabbit, as they had had a good day. We accepted their offer, so after removing the head (for the ferrets, he said) we were given this little beastie to play with.
6743886641_5f943ac0b2_z.jpg

Al not being one to miss an opportunity foraged some tomatoes, onion, and balsamic vinegar (as you do), and we had rabbit Italian-style as a starter.
6744054939_a95bbfa916_z.jpg

Then we settled down for the main activity of the late afternoon and evening - drinking. I brought some sloe gin, some gin flavoured with wild thyme, and a bottle of homemade cranberry vodka. Al brought a tawny port. When we ran out, it was time for bed. Oh, and at least in principle, we were supposed to be carving some lime logs that A had brought along. I got this far along with an attempt at a bowl. Note the artistic bloodstains when I scraped my knuckle. Al settled for sharpening my knives (again) and making pine pitch.
6743890619_caf6096630_z.jpg

We had one of those really enjoyable relaxing evenings, just sat round a fire talking and doing little things. Apart from a short visitation from an enormous ravening beast - well, Al thought it was and was momentarily terrified - it turned out to be a large German Shepherd dog belonging to the landowner that had followed us up (your face was a picture Al :lmao:), it was really mellow.

I slept really well, and was very warm and comfortable.

Just a good night out. Thanks Al.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
What a superb night out - great stuff, like that bowl with the "artistic" colouring.

what hammock are you using btw?

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Sounds great! Nothing better than chilled night out-of-doors with good company.
I'm yet to try winter hammocking as I've always been a bit of a ground dweller. But just got some carabiners off e-bay with a hope of re-fitting my DD and taking to the trees this year.
Thanks for sharing!

Harvestman

May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
What a superb night out - great stuff, like that bowl with the "artistic" colouring.

what hammock are you using btw?

DD Hammock (2010 version with a zip only on one side) and the DD XL tarp (which is ginormous).
The bowl is nowhere near finished but I'm happy with its progress.

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Apart from a short visitation from an enormous ravening beast - well, Al thought it was and was momentarily terrified -

You didn't notice two huge green eye's, several inches apart running/crashing towards you at high speed...!
I'm man enough to admit I came close to having a 5'th visit home for a new pair of undercrackers :p

For once, just a few piccy's to add.
It was a good night bud, thanks for joining me and the many good conversation over the stay! Oh, and all the wonderful concoctions to sip!!

My woods (well, my landlords and all out nice bloke).
FUUCc.jpg

Mike tending the fire.
U7NOR.jpg

Mike dossing in me hammock while I adjusted the rigging for a new set-up.
One of the few things you just cant do by yourself!
NETgk.jpg

Arty shot of Dumplings being browned... First time I've used the DO as a DO!
wEovA.jpg

Thanks Mike, a very chilled night (minus the hound) indeed...

Last edited:

The Big Lebowski

Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
You just have to be careful of the odd golf ball Rich LoL, but I realize I'm very lucky to have access to woodlands so close to home :)

Bigrich

Jan 26, 2011
Malvern
Looks fantastic guys, a very chilled evening - great preparation Al having a house so near your camp spot - great sounding grub and drinks too :)

Thanks for sharing

Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE