Overnight trip in Sørfjord, Norway. (lots of pictures)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Last weekend I decided to go out on a short overnight trip. I drove to the usual area and set to the task.
The weather was not the best as it was raining a little. I started to walk at 12.00 and had plenty of time until it was dark.
The picture below shows the rucksack I carried.

14492438.jpg

The picture is taken during the ”technical break” I use to have after 5 minutes of walking. The breaks purpose is to check gear, adjust clothing and your rucksack.
In the area I was going to there is a cabin owned by the hunting and fishing administration. The trail is therefore reinforced with bridges, making it easier to walk trough the woods.

14493320.jpg

14492702.jpg

14492829.jpg

14493297.jpg

After 1,5 ours (the distance was 3,5 km on the map) I was at the camp site, not a ready made one but just a place I took from the map.

14492990.jpg

14493176.jpg

You could see the camp fire right in the middle of the picture above.

I set up my shelter tarp and started to gather wood for the fire.

14493150.jpg

I mostly burned fresh birch. This is actually an excellent fuel and builds a good bed of coals.
I also went further away and found a dry pine which I sawed down and carried back to the camp. This I laid on the fire at bedtime. The folding saw “broke” when sawing the pine. I lost a pin holding the blade lock. The da*n thing was not peened to the saw. Luckily I had my Wetterlings small hunters axe with me.
I unpacked all my stuff just to show what I carry in the woods (at least on this trip).

14493090.jpg

I mostly carry the same all the time, it is the amount of food I carry that is the difference.
The cal.22 rifle is packed in the camouflage colored roll (wool blanket). I did a little plinking. The only ammo I used was the Remington Subsonic ammo. They worked pretty well, very quiet, even in my auto rifle.
All my gear weigh about 16 kilos (35 pounds).

I made bannocks for dinner, the salty, sweet kind. Yes, I had both coarse salt and raisins in the bannock mix. They tasted excellent.

14493120.jpg

I saw only one other person. I think he was fishing. I really missed my binoculars at that time.
It is dark at 20.00 Hrs, and I went early to bed.

14493202.jpg

At 03.00 Hrs. I abruptly woke. The wind had ripped the tarp apart in one corner and the tarp was slamming in the wind. The headlamp was put to use and the damage was fixed. Picture shows the fix the morning after. I just gathered the tarp material and tied it together.

14493280.jpg

I guess 25 years of service is enough for a thin nylon tarp.
I noticed that the sky was clear and the moonlight glowed over the landscape.
When I woke at 08.30Hrs. the sky was again cloudy and it had begun raining again.

14493252.jpg

I got the fire going and made breakfast.; fried bacons and beans, and of course good, strong coffee. It was the only time my wool sweater was used.
I also had to make a spoon to eat with. I had forgot my cutlery at home. The spoon was simple (but served it’s purpose) and I tossed it on the fire after use.
I fired some more rounds with my cal.22 and then packed my gear. The walk home took 2 ours and it mostly rained the whole time.
Some pics from the area I camped in.

14492903.jpg

14492766.jpg

Some thoughts after the trip:
I had too much food, I didn’t eat half of it. I do this all the time.
While the wool blanket worked fine I could as well used my sleeping bag. I think the weight is actually less than the wool blanket.
I should have taken the Laplander folding saw as this is tested several times, but now I have tested the Jaws saw I had with me and found its faults. That was one of the purposes of the trip, to test gear.
The Wetterlings small hunting axe worked like a charm chopping wood for the fire and when whittling the spoon. A very good axe which I highly recommend.
The light cheap Coleman mess kit is too thin and doesn`t cope with normal use. It was dented after being carried in the pack. Next time I will take my Eagle sharp stainless steel pot and frying pan with me instead.
My tarp needs replacement. It is too old and worn.

Thanks for looking.

Tor

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Good photo's Tor, thanks for sharing, do you go to that area on a regular basis ?, beautiful scenery, with all that space you must feel like the last man on earth.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Good photo's Tor, thanks for sharing, do you go to that area on a regular basis ?, beautiful scenery, with all that space you must feel like the last man on earth.

When I`m camping or canoeing I usually use this area outside the city. The area is called Heggmoen. Just 15 minutes drive from home and lots of land to camp and bushcraft on.
It is a very popular spot and you are seldom alone even though you don`t meet other people you see their tracks.

Tor

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
You're a lucky man Tor to be able to spend time in such lovely surroundings. Thanks for sharing it with us and making us so jealous ;)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks for sharing Tor - I`ve said it before I know but you`re sooooo lucky to have that landscape on your doorstep.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I would second all of the sentiments, thanks for sharing. That area is beautiful and I am so jealous. It looks so peaceful and quiet and you can drink straight from the streams. Your pictures also show that you don't need mountains of kit for a night out, I, like you always tend to take much more food than I need but I fool myself with the just in case arguement and it doesn't really hold up. And If I can't win an arguement with myself what chance do I have with SWMBO?

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Nice bit of improvisation, jury rigging your tarp like that. A simple piece of knowledge to repair a broken tarp in a few minutes, and it didn't weigh anything to carry that knowledge. You don't pack much, much less than what I carry! Stick with the blanket, the sleeping bag wouldn't be as much fun!

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
A first rate post. Superb pictures. Looks as if you had a great time. Really looking forward to the next post like this. :)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Great post Tor, it's made me wish I could go back to Norway, I spent 5 winters (10 weeks each time) in your beautiful country between 1994 & 1998.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE