Over-nighter by the sea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Minstrel

Forager
Feb 9, 2009
Hartlepool
This weekend was a long time coming: we’d arranged dates twice before but Andy’s previously documented health problem had flared up and put things on the back burner.

Once healthy, Andy was determined to get out for some fresh air. The diaries came out and the date was set.

Now, the shout went out to the usual suspects but everyone else was busy – we hadn’t figured on the bank holiday or other activities taking place...hey ho.

So, we decided to get off early. I’d got a hundred plus miles to Andy’s place but, from there, it was just a short hop into Pettico Wick where we’d have an over-nighter right by the sea.

Last time I visited Andy we went to Lumsdaine – a brill site but a pig of a walk in!

When I got to Andy’s he was champing at the bit; I could tell it had been a while since he’d been let off the lead ;)

We drove down to Pettico Wick jetty and sussed out the site – I’d been promised a short, sharp walk in, and quiet solitude. The walk in was short and sharp, the solitude wasn’t to be so accurate!

IMG00366-20110430-0856.jpg

View across the bay from car park height

On the mooch around when we got there we walked down the landing jetty for the old lighthouse, as we looked out across the small bay the surface broke and a grey seal appeared with a massive fish in its jaws – could have been a Wrasse; a magical sight and welcome and a real pity that the phone cam didn’t pick it up.

IMG00367-20110430-0911.jpg

Seal's fishing ground

After a wander round we had a brew and got worked out where we’d get our heads down later on.

IMG00370-20110430-1036.jpg

Andybysea and brew kit

IMG00372-20110430-1040.jpg

Big log

Refreshed we set off round the freshwater loch and on to the coastal path to bring us in a big loop back to camp. Time for lunch.

After lunch we did some scrambling round the rocks and searched for crabs and prawns in the beautiful clear water. Had it been a tad warmer I’d have been tempted to get in!! (about 10 degrees warmer that is!)

IMG00377-20110430-1557.jpg

Andy met his match

IMG00378-20110430-1600.jpg

!!!

Throughout the morning and into the afternoon it was clear we weren't going to be left alone; from the get go there was a constant new arrival of divers in the bay, a number of peeps risked the dodgy descent to invade - of the three, one threw a beer can in the rocks :aargh4: , one a ciggie tab :yuck: , and the other took a pee on our hill :(
Other than them, we had a dad and his lads come through the camp too.

So, the day passed by. The weather was fab. Company was good; we put the world to rights and some...
As for bushcraft...well, I guess we were camping more than 'crafting. I did have a go at the bow drill but thank god I took a lighter along :lmao: Andy whittled a crackin' wood sprite, and we made some stone stacks.

As evening drew in we sorted out our grub and had a beer before heading over the other side of the bay for a chill out and beach fire - there's tons of driftwood over there.

IMG00383-20110430-1956.jpg

We were treated to a gorgeous sunset and then we scooted back to base for a few more wets and some star gazing to finish off a great day.

IMG00384-20110430-2026.jpg

Thanks for arranging, recceing and remembering all your equipment and provisions Andy - I wouldn't have survived without your bacon, chorizo and tea!!!

On my way back to Hartlepool I visited Lindisfarne and sneaked another night out of the trip with had a stealth camp in the dunes north of Seahouses.

IMG00395-20110501-2200.jpg

Me and my stealth noodle

I planned to visit The Farnes but will save it for later in the year as the Terns aren't there in any numbers yet.

We'll be up and at it again in the coming weeks/months if anyone fancies a trip over that way.

Apologies to anyone in Newcastle/Sunderland etc... I didn't spot the post about getting a meet together up on the borders...I had room in the car, I just haven't been on the forum much over the last weeks.

Last edited:

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Good to see the pic's,the sun was so bright could'nt see them properly after they'd been taken,Cheer's John for coming up twas great to get out for a overnighter, its a great little spot to get to compared to my other place,down side being as John mentioned a couple of idiot's and there littering problem(must have been the sun bringing them out!) Hopefully be getting a few more this summer!The one big shock i got was the price of a pint! id not been to a pub for the best part of a year,and John and me decided to go get a beer in the village, i felt like id been violated when they told me how much the cost was,or maybe im just a tight old sod.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great stuff lads, and good to see Andy back on his feet again.

How was the wind on the east coast ? We had it bad in the eastern fells in the Lakes

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
Looks like a great chill out time, thanks for sharing the pics.

Good to see you out n about Andy, looking forward to getting over to the east coast, you never know, maybe even with Tam

atb

Dave

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
i,ve been dreading seeing this thread!! hahahaa

i WILL make one eventually,...

looks like a beauty as always ,,,,Well done boys,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE