Outside cooking on a new level :D

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Corfe

Dec 13, 2011
Northern Ireland
We have vocational farming offered in high school and as a university dergree. But neither is required, nor any license. And generally real estate taxes are lower on farmland than on residential or commercial property (an exception being a residence actually on the farm and the option is available to claim homestead exemption which is cheaper still) No other taxes are levied as such.

I have 73 acres in Mississippi with mixed timber and farmland with 2 farm ponds. Currently in pasture with cattle. The last actual cash crop having been watermelons. Total property taxes were a bit over $200 (127 pounds) last year. What I do on it is not regulated in any way.

I envy you your freedom - God's Own Country

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
That is just a great outdoor setup. One day I will build one of those.

Russ
Well worth the effort it is... :)

About the Guelder rose, I had a look on some forums and indeed it's a "miracle" plant. You need to pick them after they have been cold bitten, or you need to boil them, that makes them free of toxins they have. Of what I read it the first remedy you should use if you got cough. It has a lot of relaxing properties so therefore to be used when you feel unwell, have a heart pains, high blood pressure. Usage is simple, just make a tea out of the berries. 3 cups a day. You can mix berries with honey too, but I doubt about the taste. I should give it a go, but there are no one ill at the moment. :) Anyway, I got 5-6 bushes to be planted in spring, and then many more to be grown from cut offs.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
This is a range Millius

View attachment 12599

A form of open fire cooker with other cooking arrangements (ovens etc.)

Lovely things - but messy indoors
They are lovely aren't they?
Ours is almost identical but oven on the other side.I only really use it at Christmas as it makes the room so hot, but the oven is superb for bread as well as for those long slow braises.It's the reason I bought the house ; there are hardly any houses with functional ranges left.If banked up properly it will keep burning slowly all night and just need feeding in the morning.I love it but I'd love another one outside.
Andy , that is a great resource : you won't be lonely with party space like that! I need one :pirate:
Cheers , Simon

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Your setup looks brilliant... part of me loves that its open and easy to clean up (Rain washes it) and part of me would want a cover but either way i'm so jealous- you have done an amazing job!

I'm considering investing in one of these for the end of my garden...

$T2eC16JHJIIE9qTYI5T8BQ5u1gM3vg~~60_57.JPG

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Squidders, good idea.
If you do though you will need to get a shorter peel (the "paddle thingy" to put stuff in & out of the oven)
It only needs to be about 1m long for a domestic setup like that.The longer they are the harder they are to control.
I used to have a 20 ton wood-fired oven and the peel was 6.5 m long! It was lethal!
But definitely your garden needs one of those.
Cheers , Simon

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Your setup looks brilliant... part of me loves that its open and easy to clean up (Rain washes it) and part of me would want a cover but either way i'm so jealous- you have done an amazing job!

I'm considering investing in one of these for the end of my garden...

That is awesome!!! There's everything you could wish for in the outdoor kitchen. Some ideas like a water supply is great improvement to the whole thing. P.S. I got an order to build one for a customer next summer so I might be borrowing a few things from this photo too :D :D

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Ok, so I've done a little more on my kitchen :)
New roof is on and it was first time I had a play with wooden shingles.

1044988_10201314259088774_1173971791_n.jpg

It was great to fit them on the roof as every one is little different and requires attention, but flexible, so you can make any kind of shape. Good stuff, really on my favorites from now own, I only wish I had the time to hand split them myself.

970067_10201314258768766_1797238988_n.jpg

Now some basic floor and some sitting would be great... one day :)

Attachments

• 970067_10201314258768766_1797238988_n.jpg
    970067_10201314258768766_1797238988_n.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 20

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
sad isn't it?... In Lithuania if you live in rural area and have a farmers license you can build a HOUSE up to 80 square meters with no permit what so ever....and no one gives a damn what you do in your own back yard.

I want to move to Lithuania.

I love this set up! I am the missus, so it is now just a case of persuading the husband to make it! I have already sent him the pictures ;)

Thanks for posting.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's amazing milius - absolutely love the shingle roof. Are all the uprights set on stone to avoid rotting?

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
Thanks everyone! :) If you need help with the build just give me a shout ;)

BR, cheers! Yes, wood rots quickly here because of the moist so all of them are raised from the ground, unless you got some oak, then you could charr it and it would insulate it from rot.

Later on I'll make some floor there from stones or bricks so this aint the end yet ;)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you have sweet chestnut there mate? Its used here (in a marsh) for fence posts as it is naturally very rot resistant. I like the stones though - has a lovely traditional look

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
BR, we only have horse chesnut here, but Aspen is used for fencing and roofing. The shingles I used are from Aspen and they do not need any treatment what so ever. The only problem is that this tree twist like no other when drying in the sun, so selection of straight tree is vital. Yep. Stones are great, but I live in a stone poor area, where land is good, so it comes at a ridicilous price... These has been gathered around though..

Stevie13, it's just a couple of ideas put together, I haven't seen any blueprints for this but it works great :D :D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Years ago we put whole barns on stone mushrooms called staddle stones milius - like these

800px-Staddle_stones%2C_Somerset_Rural_Life_Museum.jpg

Looks odd - but rats can't get into the grain

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Years ago we put whole barns on stone mushrooms called staddle stones milius - like these

800px-Staddle_stones%2C_Somerset_Rural_Life_Museum.jpg

Looks odd - but rats can't get into the grain

We still have some houses built raised off the ground that way (or very similar) with a crawlspace under them. Not to be confused with the ones built high on pilings to escape frequent flooding.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE