Outer Hebrides advice needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Guys I need some help and advice. After having to delay a trip to the Outer hebrides in June, I've now booked it for Sep. The plan is to bring my truck over and wild camp. I'll be starting at Barra and driving/ferrying up to the Butt of Lewis with some fishing planned in the Uists and hopefully Harris and Lewis. Whilst I've read the Lonely Planet guide, which tells me where to eat and sleep in glasgow it's info on the OH was pretty scarce and to be honest a little scathing. What I need is some recommended spots for camping with scenery and any touristy bits such as neolithic tombs or anything else along the way that might be of interest. If anyone even knows of a good guide book that would be great. Thanks in advance.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Let me think.

The museum at port of Ness is good and they do nice teas.

Do be sure to sample the black puddings and smoked fish in stornoway

Most settlements have a small shop

The chippy in Tarbet is nice. (I liked Tarbet)

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
The campsite in the picture from Angus's link is at Seilibost on Harris, its very nice and right on the beach. Its possible to get across to Taransay from here, (I think the chap who runs the site may be able to help you with this?) The white iso container is the showerblock.

I would reccommend a walk up Clisham or some of the smaller hills next to it, they are all straightforward with great views. From Claismol it is worth walking to Sron Ullandale, this is a huge overhanging megalith of rock around 400m high, it has quite a malevolent feeling to it!

The Callanish Stones are worth a visit: http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/lewis/calanais/index.html there are three different sites close together. Lewis is quite flat peat country where as Harris is rough and rocky, the change is quite amazing between the two islands.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
The campsite in the picture from Angus's link is at Seilibost on Harris, its very nice and right on the beach. Its possible to get across to Taransay from here, (I think the chap who runs the site may be able to help you with this?) The white iso container is the showerblock.

Yep camp site at Seilibost (Horgabost) is a good one now £5 a night for a tent shower £1 also you can charge batteries, phones and there is a wee shop.

Craigeam

Sep 3, 2005
Na H-Eileanan an Iar
If you are looking for places of interest a few worth considering to get you started are:

The museum at Kildonan on South Uist, well presented and very interesting.
The chambered cairn at Barpa Langass (you can crawl into the chamber in the cairn - not for the claustrophobic), near the turn off for Langass Lodge on North Uist, also the nearby stone circle of Pobull Fhinn (Finn's People), there is a nice wee walk between them over Ben Langass.
Near Lochmaddy there is the hut of shadows (a camera obscura) again a nice walk round to it.
On Harris the church at Rodel is well worth a visit as is the beach at Luskintyre and as already suggested a walk up the Clisham.
On Lewis head down to Uig the beaches at Valtos and Ardroil are stunning and you can camp close by, also the Abhainn Dearg distillery at Carnish is well worth a visit better to check that it is open so there will be someone to show you round, if you are lucky it will be Marco (the owner).
If you head to the North end of Bernera there is a reconstruction of an iron age house at Bosta, also the possibility of camping on or near the beach there.
The stones at Callanish have already been suggested but there is also the Broch at Carloway, the blackhouse village at Garenin, the Norse Mill near Shawbost and the blackhouse at Arnol.

As I said just a few to get you started, if you are looking for walks try to get "Walks: Western Isles" by Luke Williams or "Walking the Western Isles" by Mary Welsh if you can't find them anywhere else you might get them in the Tourist Information shops or on the ferry.

Enjoy your trip

Cheers

Donald.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Guys thanks very much, I bought the Charles Tait book on Angus' recommendation I had looked at it previously but was trying to save, probably stupidly. I'm looking forward to it and I'll post some pics. Pray to the Gods for dry weather

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
I loved Uist great people great place loads of places on all the isles to camp and as said showers and water waste disposal dotted around. I wasn't as keen on Harris and Lewis myself too many people!!
Oh and we had Gail force winds and rain which didn't help!
Have a great trip it's an awesome place.
Got to get to Barra and islay next
F

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
Callanish is amazing, very atmospheric and not so many people about.

I travelled on my own in the islands for quite some time in 1996, briliiant.

I stayed a lot in the Youth Hostels of the Hebridean Youth Hostel Association.

Dont know if they are still going strong, but they are situated in the most astounding and remote places, many of them Black Houses and well worth visiting.

I NEVER shared with any one else all the time I was there, admittedly it was October, but they were wonderful.

fantastic place to visit, even better to live........if you have a job or plenty of money that is!

Alan L.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE