Outdoor Toileting Best Practice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
No kidding, Parks Canada post these instructionals in public latrines now.

Screen-Shot-2020-08-06-at-10-54-05-AM.png

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
My primary question remains largely unanswered though: is anyone aware of any online best practice advice for outdoor toileting?

I don't know, but is this the kind of thing you mean, Thoth? https://campsandtrails.com/go-to-the-bathroom-when-camping/

There's loads of them from different individuals and organizations out there; all with pretty much the same advice. (Do I get a prize for being the idiot that bit now :lol:)

Reactions: Thoth

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Biological decomposition is better than cosmetic appeal.
I can buy a "turdstool" which comes with a roll of plastic bags.
While not a back-packer's dream, for day trips with vehicles, just about ideal.

At the same time, there are simple pit toilets scattered across the landscape.
You learn where they are as you learn the landscape. Best bring your own bog roll.
I suppose it was the Forest Service that put them up. Well maintained and relatively clean.

Woodygirl (#14) pointed out a scattering of 50 fire sites in one district.
All along, I have advocated substantial stone fire pits. Far and away better than nothing.
It's a subtle way of directing a consumptive landscape use.

Back country etiquette here shows that fire pits are not disturbed.
In fact, they are likely the best indicators of the good camp sites!
They easily control the potential scatterings of fires.

I hunt the same logging roads in the same valleys 10-20X per season for decades.
I notice with amusement that some fire pits have been deliberately "enhanced"
with gut-busting load after load of new stone.

Of necessity, all these campsites are remarkable spotless. There's nothing of attraction.

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
The 50 fire scars were in a 500yard stretch. Work that out how far apart they were!
Massive environmental damage.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
Just came across this interesting post as it’s something we all do?
I did a weeks bushcraft course in Scotland a few years back..the latrine was a hole about a foot deep & 8’wide.(communal).well away from the water course & human habitation.( something strangely nice about squatting listening to the birds)

I help build a triple pond/ Reed filter system for our commune compost toilets.. 24 yrs later it’s still going strong with an abundance of life in & on it.

however if you are out in the open or well used wood/ Forrest, I would say take it away with you if possible. or bury it as deep as you can.Do not just throw a Boulder or log over it as wildlife will dig it out.
Another interesting fact.. during the Middle Ages, paupers would literally burn human waste to keep warm.
so maybe Chuck it on the fire last thing at night.. just an idea?

daveO

Native
Jun 22, 2009
South Wales
Something else I’ve learned thanks woody girl. (biodegradable doggie bags). Never heard of them.
Just a tip. Biodegradable bags generally break down into microplastics. You can get fully compostable bags which are more like the food waste bags the council provide you with and are made from plant starch. I used to use the compostable bags but they're not as strong and are more expensive. They have an advantage in that they're breathable so the contents can dry out but this is also a disadvantage if you have to bring the bags home with you in a hot car as they let the smell out for a while. My council now burn all our waste in their waste to energy plant so I've gone back to the cheaper bags. Personally I think the biodegradable label just encourages people to throw them in the bushes because they think it'll just break down harmlessly in a few days.

Reactions: MrEd and henchy3rd

bearbait

There is a book called "How to 5h1t in the woods" by Kathleen Meyer.

See https://www.amazon.co.uk/How-****-Woods-Environmentally-Approach/dp/1984857134/ref=sr_1_1

I have an older edition than this one so it's likely upgraded as advice is refined.

(NB replace the 5h1t in the title above with 'that' word. And the 4 asterisks, although the link works correctly as shown.)

punkrockcaveman

Jan 28, 2017
yorks
I'm limited on experience with this, but the best way I have found is to find a fallen log (no pun intended!) Dig a whole on the uphill side and take in the view on the downhill side :) sometimes you get lucky with fallen pines and some of the rotten stumps of branches make great big roll holders, and usually contain a bit of fat wood in them!

Reactions: Woody girl

GSW

May 16, 2021
Carmarthenshire
Thanks for comments posted so far. There seems to be agreement that the subject needs to be discussed at least. I agree that in some locations and circumstances human waste needs to be packed out. In other instances a cat hole an appropriate distance from watercourses (30m, 50m, ?m) is okay with toilet paper being either packed out or burned if it is safe to do so. My primary question remains largely unanswered though: is anyone aware of any online best practice advice for outdoor toileting?

I'm subject to mobility problems so, my days of yomping off road are well over. However, for those also limited in going wild, you cant beat a builders bucket lined with a kitchen throw-away bag. After use, stick it in another similar bag and if left for days before final sensible disposal, a little cat litter added goes a long way......

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Cat litter is a good idea, cats swear by it.

(Except ours, who is mostly an outdoors cat).

(The one time there was an unfortunate event during a stormy night when he would not go out, he did it in the bathroom on a hard surface, so I think if he was confronted with a theoretical kitty tray, he would know what it is for...Most cats, even very young ones, do not need instructions with an obviously suitable substrate).

Woody girl

Mar 31, 2018
Exmoor
I've made a lightweight portable toilet from a second hand 3 leg green stool(sorry pun not intended) camp stool folks!
I bought it for £2 in the charity shop, then cut a circular hole in the middle, pop a biodegradable carrier bag into the hole, and hook it over the stool sides, pop some kitty litter of the wood type rather than the granuals, though either work, and there you have it. Sawdust can also be used .
Dispose of in the first dog bin I come across, or take home to dispose of by burning or the bin where you would normaly dispose of kitty litter.
To transport home, I have a brightly coloured cheapo dry bag I got from home bargains in their summer festival camping section a couple of years ago(lime green.. no mistakes!)
So this will be my go to toilet at camp as I have no car, so it needs to be compact and light to carry.
I'm toying with the idea of making another removable canvas seat cover, that can be popped off for use as a loo, and double up as a normal stool the rest of the time.
This came about as a bucket is impractical when you have to carry everything.
Be warned! Its a pretty small hole, so you have to target which bit of you is over the hole and accidental misses are not made!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My place? Sure. Wander off a little and dig a hole. As some po.sters have pointed out, Britain is really crowded. Any fresh hole likely digs up the memories of another intrepid bush crafter.

Reactions: punkrockcaveman

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Surely it is no great hardship to dig a toilet hole, a fairly deep one, not a scratching of the surface. Just bury it, toilet paper as well. Since when has this not been common practice?!
Keith.
A deep hole hides the matter, a shallow hole of no more than 6 inches promotes decomposition because it's generally only the first 6" of soil that is alive with the bacteria needed to assist in the breakdown of the fecal matter. Personally, I usually burn toilet paper at the edge of the hole and bury the ashes (if it is safe to do so, e.g. no fire ban).

demented dale

Dec 16, 2021
hell
Just dig a hole and bury it. Wipe your bottom with organic matter and put that in the hole as well. It is only human waste after all said and done and burying it is dealing with it responsibly. I either compost mine in camp or bury it when I am on the move. Obviously the advice about not near a water course is sound and I would also add not near a place where dogs are let off loose as they can and do dig up **** pits.

• Love
Reactions: Le Loup

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Great discussion and lots of useful information/ advice. I bought a copy of “How to **** in the Woods” decades ago when I lived in Canada. It has been a very useful guide and one I’d recommend.
The Ray Mears / Paul Kirtley / Scout idea of a secluded trench for groups or longer stays seems to be very effective. So long as it’s back-filled by each contributor and a designated person makes sure it’s closed as the group departs, it seems to be ideal. I have revisited a site used about 4 years ago and investigated the state of the trench. The ground no longer appeared disturbed and the contents were not discernible visually or otherwise. (If I hadn’t marked it with a crossed stick (a la Baden-Powell guidance) I doubt I’d have found it.)
Just my 2d worth. Thanks again to everyone who’s added to the thread.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE