Outdoor Teddies?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
Rummaging through various threads I've spotted a few teddy bears involved in outdoor pursuits.

I've also seen a few when out about, accompanying walkers, backpackers and so on - little heads and floppy bunny ears poking out of rucksacks and pockets.

It seems mostly to be those that go solo that have these little companions.

So what's it about? Someone to talk to? A lucky mascot?

Care to introduce us to your cuddly pal?

I usually go out solo but I don't have one of these little guys. I want one and have been eyeing the dog's teddy pile!

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Maybe its a Mascot thing or just the fact that some carry a Teddy for fun. It is perfectly normal for some adults to still sleep with a Teddy,although some may disagree.
I lost my teddy when i was 11 yrs old:sadwavey:
Cheers
Darren

Last edited:

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
I like the mascot idea - a character or "semi-person" that is associated particularly with a certain aspect of your life - bushcrafting, hiking or whatever.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Rummaging through various threads I've spotted a few teddy bears involved in outdoor pursuits.

I've also seen a few when out about, accompanying walkers, backpackers and so on - little heads and floppy bunny ears poking out of rucksacks and pockets.

It seems mostly to be those that go solo that have these little companions.

So what's it about? Someone to talk to? A lucky mascot?

Care to introduce us to your cuddly pal?

I usually go out solo but I don't have one of these little guys. I want one and have been eyeing the dog's teddy pile!

Teddies are great, hard working social bushcraft companions. After a day of walking they still got the energy to make camp and dinner, don't whine or afraid of the dark. They are all trained in first aid - specialized in large bleedings, which all bushcrafters suffer when working with axes and knives. Everyone has one - they're a real outdoor must have bit of kit :p

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46727 post #6

Welcome to the forums btw :)

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
I was worried by the title of this thread... I had visions of beardy chaps in hammocks wearing small items of ladie's night attire!

Snozz

Dormouse

Tenderfoot
Jul 15, 2010
UK
@ Ahjno - Thanks for the welcome. It was QDanT's wonderful pictures that prompted me to post this thread. His Teddy has to be the smartest I've seen - his trousers are ironed and everything!

@ snozz - Yikes! That's put images in my head that I'll never shake off! The horror!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I was worried by the title of this thread... I had visions of beardy chaps in hammocks wearing small items of ladie's night attire!

Snozz

Thank heavens it wasn't just me :D

Never did get the anthropomorphising of stuffed toys.........absolutely hated it as a child when an Aunt gave me a green gonk for my birthday......still haven't got a clue what on Earth I was supposed to do with it ?????

cheers,
M

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
I had a friend many years ago who travelled extensively and was always accompanied by a small bear. She was shipwrecked on a remote island in the south pacific and had to resort to eating her bear - he was filled with lentils! On her return, his preserved hide was laundered and carefully filled with a fresh filling of lentils.

Z

Snowfire

Forager
Jan 10, 2010
Cotswolds
My original teddy is called Fred Bear - and he's too worn to take out now.

So for outdoor excursions I have a rat called Septic Infection. He's in the photo in my avatar. His whiskers used to be a bit straighter but he went face down in the mud once when I slipped coming down a steep hill and after a quick wash and tumble dry they drooped. I think the Mexican bandit look suits him :)

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Well this is Little Ted - he was given to me when I was about 6/7 when I was in Hong Kong. He Has been every were with me, He bags Monro's, came with me to war been on every detachment I went on in the RAF. Sad but true :)

LittleTed.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Although I do not have a current "travelling Teddy" I do have a collection of soft toys and the sheep "Rosco" (Lamb-rosco - a week and fizzy wine/whine...OK a poor play on words but naming your pal is a tough job) and the Dragon "Dylan" have both been around the world with me, strapped onto my pack, - but they are both retired now.
Captain Bob the Bulldog lives in my Van along with "Tiny Teddy" and a couple of Action Figures (both called John) and "The Godess" an armless female figurine...and "Skelly" the skeleton......
I would be lonely without them!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE