outdoor kitchen

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
Hey guys,
So I've acquired a piece of land, but unfortunately not yet acquired any diy skills. Looking to build an outdoor type kitchen, Thoughts and ideas appreciated! Thinking of this one ( ), but have a few questions:
- how easy would it be build something like this. A few breeze blocks, some stone, some cement...
- does the design look good? Seems the flat top design wouldn't allow you to actually use it as the fire would burn yer legs!
- what materials to use for the flat top to ensure the heat actually comes through? And what is the actually flat top material?
Thanks all!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
There's a Canadian fellow on Youtube who has built his outdoor kitchen nearby to his cabin.
Sean someone or other. My Self Reliance, iirc.
I'll find a link.
He even built a bread oven on his :)

That flat top might well be slate. It was used to make bakestones (like the cast iron girdles used here) so we know that good slate can take the heat.

M

p.s. link...

Reactions: Sawyer

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Excellent idea, I like outdoor kitchens :D

You need to think about what you want to cook, do you like grilling, using pots, will you do any reflection stuff, baking etc Then you can work out what you need to be able to incorporate into your kitchen space. Be generous with your space, make sure you've got prep space as well as cooking space.
Great link from Toddy! There's quite a few of those vids so you might want to skip through them a bit...

it can be as fancy or simple as you want, I've no idea of your access into the woods but getting materials in could be a consideration as well...

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Well, what do you want to do?

You wouldnt have a gadget in your kitchen indoors you wouldnt use?

I would start simple, a barberque, (Easily found or made)

Then get a dutch oven.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What you show us on the photo in my opinion doesn't belong like this in the woods. If you have a piece of land which is surrounded by an ancient wall it would be a nice idea to add such a kitchen in it, next to the gate with a little shed perhaps.
Or that could nicely blend in a mountain area in between some rocks.
But I wouldn't construct such a monolithic barbeque memorial in my forest.
(I guess it's on top illegal in Germany)

I think in a forest belongs a stone circle with wooden tripot, perhaps a Dutch oven, a barbeque roast on three or four stones, low benches in a circle around the fire place, a pot stand like this here https://www.petromax.de/px-produkte/pfannenknecht/ but hand forged if possible, I have seen such stuff somewhere in a bushcraft forum offered by a Smith, perhaps a wooden Table attached with ropes between two thicker trees, perhaps a Skandinavian type table- 2 benches eating place, so located that you easily can tension a Tarp over it.

It has simply to be as it was in Robin Hoods camp or how it was in the viking camps. Old local tradition, no modern indoor kitchen outside.

;)

In my opinion things we put in the landscape have to blend in perfectly and the best is to make them nearly exclusively with the materials we find in the place.

Last edited:

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
Excellent idea, I like outdoor kitchens :D

You need to think about what you want to cook, do you like grilling, using pots, will you do any reflection stuff, baking etc Then you can work out what you need to be able to incorporate into your kitchen space. Be generous with your space, make sure you've got prep space as well as cooking space.
Great link from Toddy! There's quite a few of those vids so you might want to skip through them a bit...

it can be as fancy or simple as you want, I've no idea of your access into the woods but getting materials in could be a consideration as well...
but that one looooooks sooooooo cooool!

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
What you show us on the photo in my opinion doesn't belong like this in the woods. If you have a piece of land which is surrounded by an ancient wall it would be a nice idea to add such a kitchen in it, next to the gate with a little shed perhaps.
Or that could nicely blend in a mountain area in between some rocks.
But I wouldn't construct such a monolithic barbeque memorial in my forest.
(I guess it's on top illegal in Germany)

I think in a forest belongs a stone circle with wooden tripot, perhaps a Dutch oven, a barbeque roast on three or four stones, low benches in a circle around the fire place, a pot stand like this here https://www.petromax.de/px-produkte/pfannenknecht/ but hand forged if possible, I have seen such stuff somewhere in a bushcraft forum offered by a Smith, perhaps a wooden Table attached with ropes between two thicker trees, perhaps a Skandinavian type table- 2 benches eating place, so located that you easily can tension a Tarp over it.

It has simply to be as it was in Robin Hoods camp or how it was in the viking camps. Old local tradition, no modern indoor kitchen outside.

;)

In my opinion things we put in the landscape have to blend in perfectly and the best is to make them nearly exclusively with the materials we find in the place.

It's a 1.5 acre piece of land with about 20% forest. The bushcraft/cooking area would sit outside the little forested bit

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
So, a semi wild garden with recreational areas?

(Cant see the picture BTW)

As I said, work out what you want to do and start with the basics.

The puffin squire

May 19, 2020
Kent
e9916e4a4e1ae4de9b3a7f6770a7bd83.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
It does not look a bad set up to me, having the fire and associated embers raised up makes life so much easier, I may have tried to get the fire area on the left a bit larger, so you are able to move heat around to set up different cooking zones. The flat prep area on the right looks handy too with a little nook under to store dry wood/kindling. It looks similar to some I have seen in a few different countries.
Louis

Sawyer

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2010
somewhere
It does not look a bad set up to me, having the fire and associated embers raised up makes life so much easier, I may have tried to get the fire area on the left a bit larger, so you are able to move heat around to set up different cooking zones. The flat prep area on the right looks handy too with a little nook under to store dry wood/kindling. It looks similar to some I have seen in a few different countries.
Louis

Thanks for the thoughts. Yes maybe make that fire area bigger. No idea where to get a grill rack that size though. Amazon just brings uo standard over or bbq grill racks.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks for the thoughts. Yes maybe make that fire area bigger. No idea where to get a grill rack that size though. Amazon just brings uo standard over or bbq grill racks.
Just buy a sheet of expanded metal and cut it to size. If the area’s so large that it says then reinforce it with either rebar or angle iron. If that’s beyond your comfortable skills ask a local welder.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
You can buy welded wire mesh in large sheet sizes from metal merchants. We get them at work. Simple angle grinder to cut to size. The wire diameter can be picked to sit as can the wire material. Obviously you pay more for the better mesh but if it's stronger at high temperatures it'll pay off perhaps.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The flat worktop looks like what we call a patio paver block. Sizes up to 24" x 24".
They are all maybe 2" thick mortar/concrete. Colors as well like red, green and brown.
Pretty cool idea. I wonder how long it will sit level as the structure settles.

Take a look at the wire racks out of kitchen ovens. Usually bigger than grill racks.

I want much more control over the fire. Maybe a keyhole design as a source of cooking coals.

Orientation: Figure out the directions of the prevailing breezes in the site.
I won't cook in the smoke and I don't need the tent filling up with smoke, either.
To that end, I'd work on a propane gasser for some time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE