Out with kids

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Last sunday one of my friends called and asked if I wanted to take my daughter with me for a little walk in the forrest. He would take his son with him.
I said yes and grabbed my rucksack and we drove off to meet them in Heggmoen, an area I frequently use for recreation (along whit many others). There were many cars at the parking place, but no people in the “our” part of the wood.

27776119.jpg

27776081.jpg

As we had our kids with us we didn`t walk very far but just long enough to feel like we was in the wild (about 15-20 minutes from the car).
We lit a fire using birch bark and dry pine (fatwood), and the kids tought it was great fun to participate.

27775985.jpg

We grilled sausages, drank cocoa and soft drinks, and we adults made us some good coffee.
We played hide and seek with the kids and they tried a little very basic whittling (knife handling). I just had a horn handled sami knife and my daughters fingers came too near the blade for my liking during use, and she borrowed one from my friends son. A scouts knife with guard. It fitted her hand better.
I have a nearly finished knife in the drawer for her, looks like I have to finish it soon.

27776196.jpg

It is fun to have the kids with you in the woods. They still see everything as an adventure. When shown an animal track they have lots of questions about what animal it is, will it eat us and where it is now. And a small field of spruce is a Troll forest.
And they are in the age (4-5 year olds) that they become intrested in “bushcraft” too. Making fire, whittling, studying animal tracks and fishing is great fun.

27776167.jpg

Tor

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
:D
She is a lucky girl is your daughter :approve:
Memories like these stay with you for life.........I still believe my Dad knew lots about everything and could make anything he decided to. :cool:

Thank you for sharing :D

atb,
Toddy

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Looks like you all had a great time Tor. On the last pic it's hard to tell who's had the most fun. My wife and kids are coming over to visit me in Sweden next weekend, and I can't wait to take them out in the woods, especially with the beautiful colours at this time of year.

Cheers, Michael.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Looks like your little ones really enjoyed themselves! Lucky them, and lucky you for being able to share the beautiful environment.

Great pictures. I'm always glad to see other fathers taking their daughters to the woods. I always took my oldest before but now she is 16 and discovering other things so doesn't go with me as often now. My youngest is 4 though so I'm starting all over again with her. I have been waiting all year for this Autumn...less snakes and such.

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
Looks like a great bonding trip. It really is great to see kids getting out and about . We are off upto Scotland at half term and we have some white water rafting planned , geocaching, and firelighting skills etc. I cant wait.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE