Out of Date Flare's?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
I know a guy who shot after the reunification every first january red army battle field illumination rockets in the sky of Berlin.

Probably a few people were not amused, but he found it very funny.

:cigar:

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I'm Not worried about other neighbours or people noticing me lighting them, It's more about If well I'm doing it the Flares Decide to light up me. ''BIG PUN'' intended.
cheer's

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
At the risk of splitting hairs ‘ol chap, that is not “legislation” just guidance on the law relating to marine distress flares issued by the Maritime & Coastguard Agency.

A quick bit of g00gle-fu threw up various threads on forums where yachty types were getting blazer buttons in a bit of muddle over this but the closest anyone could come up with was the Merchant Shipping (Distress Signals and Prevention of Collisions) Regulations 1996.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1996/75/made

Regulation 3 sets out the responsibilities of the masters of vessels in relation to distress signals. However, at the time I was disposing of my old signal flares, rather than being the master of a ship, I was leaning out of a window in a flat in central Brum, which is about as far from the sea in the UK as it is possible to get while the sky was lit up with fireworks from bonfire night, Diwali celebrations and (probably), drive by shootings.

Happy to be pointed in the direction of specific legislation relating to letting off flares on land and I’m sure there are potential public order offences if the flares are being used dangerously (IIRC a few years ago someone let off a flare at a football stadium and killed someone in the opposite stand) or to cause a nuisance or to deliberately hoax the emergency services, but in the real world, letting off what is basically a firework during a firework display in the middle of a city 50 plus miles from the sea is unlikely to be of interest to anyone in authority even if they could tell the difference between a distress flare and a Harmonious Mega Scarlet Interplanetary Sky Shredder Delux rocket from the cornershop.

If the OP can find someone to take his old flare away for disposal then great but if not, as he is a long way from the sea or any mountain or moorland and the countryside is as soggy as it can get, next week would seem an ideal opportunity to get rid of them and personally, I would feel far safer letting off an out of date distress flare than a firework.

TBH rather than being worried about the firework police, the sheer number of unnecessary apostrophe’s (;)) on this thread has probably got the grammar police careering around the country with their blue’s (;)) and two’s (;)) on to execute multiple arrest warrant’s (;)).

Not splitting hairs at all imo mate.
The difference between legislation and guidelines is vast!

OP. Worried about the flares blowing up in your face?.......wheres your sense of adventure!? :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Disappointed. I thought this thread was going to be about trousers I've had in the wardrobe since the 1970s.

Now they should be disposed of properly, under the cover of darkness with no witnesses. I dont think even the police would take them :O_O:

Reactions: oldtimer

Bootfox

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2019
Scotland
Evening, I've just found my old ''out of date'' Signalling Flares & Smokers, And I've made the calls to 999 and such, but had no luck and they have asked me to get in touch with the Coast Guards.
So I can get them taken away / make safe.
Any other tips or Methods known.
cheer's

There are companies that deal with out of date industrial pyrotechnics.

Usually the coastguard used to offer a service. But you could try phoning the local cop shop and or fire station.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
There's a coastguard building in Arnside with a big sign telling people to not dump old flares there but to contact your local police. It's their responsibility.

Legal or not to let them off doesn't matter imho they're emergency use only. Irrespective of whether they're likely to be mistaken for an emergency. It is irresponsible, there's guidelines for it, just follow them. The procedure works and you can be guaranteed you're not going to get hurt by out of date pyrotechnics.

Personally I'm against fireworks being available to the general public. Might be called a spoil sport but in light of the injuries caused and idiots who mess around with them I think it's time they got better controlled. Sorry for going off topic but we've had several weeks of fireworks already. With lots of animals in the area... well it does cause distress. Fortunately my terrier hears them and only wants to investigate. Everything's a chase for it.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
No thanks BOOTFOX I wouldn't pass the Flare's on to you, But rest assured The POLICE came out to my house yesterday and Took them Away to be Disposed of for me , And I also got them to take 3 U.K Illegal knives that I found in my Shed when I was putting the stuff back in it that I confiscated when I was doing Door Staffing/Bouncing back in the Old Day's.
cheer's

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Now they should be disposed of properly, under the cover of darkness with no witnesses. I dont think even the police would take them :O_O:

Now's a good time of year to do it. Just pretend they were from a particularity 'orrible Halloween costume and you might get away with it.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I'm referring to the bell bottom trousers, please don't ask for me to link to a photo...

As for the knives, out of curiosity, would it be legal to dismantle them yourself if capable? I'm aware if you wish to scrap say a legally held shotgun you can scrap it yourself and notify the licencing authority.

Bootfox

Tenderfoot
Apr 1, 2019
Scotland
There's a coastguard building in Arnside with a big sign telling people to not dump old flares there but to contact your local police. It's their responsibility.

Legal or not to let them off doesn't matter imho they're emergency use only. Irrespective of whether they're likely to be mistaken for an emergency. It is irresponsible, there's guidelines for it, just follow them. The procedure works and you can be guaranteed you're not going to get hurt by out of date pyrotechnics.

Personally I'm against fireworks being available to the general public. Might be called a spoil sport but in light of the injuries caused and idiots who mess around with them I think it's time they got better controlled. Sorry for going off topic but we've had several weeks of fireworks already. With lots of animals in the area... well it does cause distress. Fortunately my terrier hears them and only wants to investigate. Everything's a chase for it.

Guidelines state if all avenues have been exhausted the coastguard can take them, at their discretion and have the right to refuse.
Having trained alongside my local coastguard, they offer the service, so it seems to be a local policy dependent on region and facilities available.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/disposing-of-unwanted-marine-flares

Completely agree with you on fireworks, should be used at organised events only and by trained and license companies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE