Out for a little wander

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
As it was such a nice day decided to go for a little wander :)

The Snow drops are out
And the Daffs are sprouting to
DSCF0057-1.jpg

The ransoms aren't to far behind
DSCF0038-1.jpg

Need to watch where your walking lots of old collapsed mines about this ones about 10feet round and a good 8 feet deep :eek:
DSCF0036.jpg

Teasels ?
DSCF0041.jpg

My fire woods sorted for a while the last lot of strong winds blew down a dead standing willow tree :)
DSCF0040-1.jpg

And not to far away found a life time supply of inner tube
DSCF0042.jpg

Good mix of small Birch
DSCF0044.jpg

My little camp spot
DSCF0045.jpg

And hidden away in a quiet little wood my shelter that's been up for a couple of years now, its just had a face lift.
Some old buildings were demolished near my house and the builders left behind a large section of lorry tarp behind once they had cleared the site :) I know why even this section must weight 35kg easily :rolleyes:
DSCF0056-1.jpg

I stripped all the old thatching off and covered with the tarp and then recovered it all again to make it blend in :)
DSCF0055.jpg

There's room for two people its about 7 feet deep :)
DSCF0054.jpg

Does it blend in OK outside view ?
DSCF0051.jpg

Thanks for looking :D

cheers Russ

Last edited:

Radix lecti

Native
Jan 15, 2006
Gloucester
Great pictures Russ of what looked like a fine day out,like the shelter. Im off out on a wander soon, cant wait. Thanks for sharing.

Daz

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
looks a good spot russ dont have any problem with raggers do you?regards dave

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That looks really sound :approve:, a good burrow :)

If the willow touches damp ground (you're in Fife, it's a lot drier than here, so maybe it won't happen) it can still live. One fell outside our back gate and it just send it's stems straight up from the top of the trunk. Beautiful straight rods for basketry :cool:
The wee birds love the teasels, they really do go for the seeds.

Cracking day out :) Thanks for sharing :)

cheers,
M

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
looks a good spot russ dont have any problem with raggers do you?regards dave

raggers ? I don't think anyone's ever come across it. Its well off the beaten path and the nettles are up to my chin once they get growing.

Toddy That willows well and truly dead think the ground got to dry for them strange I know :)
cheers Russ

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
...Toddy That willows well and truly dead think the ground got to dry for them strange I know :)
cheers Russ

It was after I posted that I realised what you'd said :eek: Sorry Russ.
Though, even taking that on board, the one outside the back gate looked well and truly deid before it blew down, then it suddenly started sprouting straight shoots :cool:

It's a lot drier your side of the country though, the burn runs not thirty feet from the willow here.

You posted a thread when you built that shelter, did you not ? Maybe link to it if the photos are still up ?
It's looking remarkably sound for being there that length of time :approve:

cheers,
M

JAG009

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 20, 2010
Under your floor
Looks like a top wee spot you have there Russ, good shelter as well !
was that a natural clearing your in or did you have to clear some of the rhododendrons?

Cheers

Jason

warthog1981

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Fife
Thanks folks yes I had to clear the rhododendrons to make the clearing I give them a trim every so often :)

cheers Russ

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE