Out for a little instruction today (dialup beware!!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
My nephew had the week off from school, so I decided to take him out today & show him how to put up a hootch with a poncho. Also, wanted to run my new swedish stove :).

It was about 20F today, in the woods. We had a fresh coating of snow courtesy of good ole mom nature last night. Winds were REALLY gusty today, but, that didnt deter us. We started off the day geocaching, but, well, that didnt work out too well.
Too much snow cover, and we didnt feel like digging all day. But, without further ado, here are a couple of pics:

Me drinking cocoa
outside004.jpg

Our little setup; we sat on the pine boughs.
outside003.jpg

My stove, hard at work: 15 mins to boil a complete tin. Not bad, actually
outside002.jpg

Another shot of our setup.
outside001.jpg

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You are so lucky to get snow like that all we get here is a sprinkling if we are lucky, except Scotland, but most of the time it just rains.

That looks like a really nice bit of woodland.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
This was actually our only 2nd snowfall of the year. the first storm, about 2 weeks ago, gave us about 8"; last night was merely a dusting.
As for the woods; yes, it is a state forest. I could get lost out there for days. In fact, our SAR team had to go find a hunter out there last fall :). This is where I do my primary bushcraft overnights. I simply find a stream, & follow it offtrail till I find a nice little spot. All are welcome to join me whenever!

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
oldsoldier said:
This was actually our only 2nd snowfall of the year. the first storm, about 2 weeks ago, gave us about 8"; last night was merely a dusting.
As for the woods; yes, it is a state forest. I could get lost out there for days. In fact, our SAR team had to go find a hunter out there last fall :). This is where I do my primary bushcraft overnights. I simply find a stream, & follow it offtrail till I find a nice little spot. All are welcome to join me whenever!

If only the wife would let me!!!:lmao:
Cool place man!!

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
oldsoldier said:

Sorry, my US geography isn't that great but MA = Massachusetts? I heard it is a really beautiful state but can be pretty wild in the winter!

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
Yep, MA is massachusetts. And, yes, winters in new england can be harsh. Heck, even the indians migrated!
The best part about living in new england is that, with a 4 hour drive, you can pretty much experience almost every climate on earth; from windswept mountains to dry desert areas. But, here in MA, I like my woods. I've been to the desert several times, all with the military, and I've come to one conclusion all on my own; deserts want to kill me. So, I'll stick with my deep, dark woods :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE