Out and about in my local patch

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
The weather here has been great for the last few days and I've been out and about most days. Yesterday I went out without any plan at all - just to wander about and see what I could see. After my last thread http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30166 that got shifted because of gore :) this is a wholesome family thread :)

So what did I see?

Well there was a bramble patch where I spent about an hour watching rock pippets, linnets, and a stonechat family:

Mr Linnet (in winter colours still):

292256969_SZDAm-M.jpg

Baby Stonechat:

292256986_CYCL2-M.jpg

Mrs Stonechat:

292257014_WSu88-M.jpg

Mr Stonechat:

292256944_Nrrna-M.jpg

Next post ... moving on round to 100 acre meadow ....

100 Acre Meadow is a place where I would normally expect to see plenty of wildlife, but it was strangely quiet - hey, that's ok though, let's stop and look at the new plants that have sprung up. That's the great thing about the change in seasons - there's always something new to look at:

292257355_EPt4B-M.jpg

292257331_Gz4Vc-M.jpg

Hey, this is nice, but the sun is a bit hot ... time to move to the woods:

The trees are filling out with leaves now and I can hear the birds, but they are getting more difficult to see - definite sightings of blue tits, coal (hmm possibly willow) tits, great tits, a long-tailed tit an unidentified warbler and best of all a pair of bullfinches - no photos though :( - its difficult to get photos of things through leaves ... so lets look at what's on the leaves instead:

292257080_oLxxw-M.jpg

292257090_eYWiq-M.jpg

292257060_tb9a5-M.jpg

Ah, its been a good day - my watch is broken too and so I have no idea of the real time, just been taking my cue from the sun and my belly ... which is now telling me to go home and get some grub.

I'm not the only one to have been enjoying the day. Nor is it necessary for people to be bushcrafty to enjoy the outdoors ... but it probably helps :)

292257390_QErun-M.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pictures and the (brief) narrative folks :)

Simon

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Good stuff Simon, it's always great to get a feel for what people are doing and especially what they're seeing. Some great pictures there :You_Rock_

Good stuff Simon, it's always great to get a feel for what people are doing and especially what they're seeing. Some great pictures there :You_Rock_

Cheers Tony :)

Cracking photo's there, I really like them all, and a good write up.... Thanks for sharing...

:) Glad you like them :)

I love the last photo, the detail is fantastic.

I really need to buy a good lens for my own camera & try for shots like that.
:)

Tree

Thanks - don't rush into spending money on a lens though. I've got much better images with a much cheaper lens ;) Ultimately its what you do with it that counts. Having said that, I don't know what you have at the moment - I'd be happy to give you a suggestion or two if you want to PM me.

How did you get the photos so crisp? Maybe I need brighter light, or to use my tripod more, but I can't get photos that sharp.

Or should I have a drink to steady my hand!?

I normally try the drink route first ;) - nah, seriously though. It's a combination of things. It very much depends on what you are taking a photo of and what you are using.

The rule for handheld shots is that the minimum shutter speed is one over the focal length of the lens ... so for a 50mm lens you should have at least 1/50 second shutter speed.

Using a tripod is the single best way of getting the most out of your lens, but using a tripod is not always an option. Learning to hold the camera properly and actuate the shutter smoothly helps a great deal.

However, for web display ... a HUGE aid to sharpness, is sizing the image to the size you want it displayed before you apply sharpening ... but we are getting technical here, so if you want to know more PM me and we can avoid boring the others ;)

Superb pics Simon, what kit are you using?

Heheh, a variety of stuff Matt - these images were taken with either a 400mm tele or a 100mm macro on a couple of different bodies.

Glad you like the pics :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE