Otters where you are?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 27, 2007
essex
I found some signs Otter in Essex recently. They have been on the increase for a while. I'm used to seeing them up North but it's always a nice surprise to find them this far South.

Has anyone else had the pleasure of noticing an increase?

Kris

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I noticed Otters in the river windrush for the first time last year! I first saw one at night off a bridge - at first I thought it was an enormous Pike, but then realised it was an Otter swimming underwater! I have however also found a few dead Barbel, some of decent size with their heads bitten off, which apparently has been down to the Otters.

D

Deleted dude 7861

I had a young male otter walk past my house down the lane here in Gloucestershire, I nearly did a double take! He was clearly unwell as I managed to go outside and he let me in a few inches of him, anyway later on that day he was still around and was being mocked by crows so he was caught and taken to a rehabilitation place and they said he was too young to be on his own. He was released back into the wild a few months later. I've seen them up in Scotland but not here so was a nice surprise.

Intertidal

Forager
Jan 26, 2008
Cornwall
I did a days course on otter signs a few weeks ago with Cornwall Wildlife Trust. We found fresh and aged spraints during the course, together with tracks. Since been back and found very fresh spraint and jelly.
Apparently Devon & Cornwall rivers are at capacity for otters.
I didn't realise that an otter territory covers up to 40km of river.
Haven't seen an otter down here yet tho'

Sep 27, 2007
essex
It does seem they are more common all over now. I'm lucky as I have them living near me where I work and where I live. But, they are rarely seen although I do know of some real hotspots.

Sadly one was killed on the road near me last year. I think many people see mink and call them otter as they were said to be on a reserve I look after, but I have only ever seen mink there with no sign of Otter.

Kris

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
For a number of years, the State of Iowa had a DNR program to re-introduce them into the State. The program worked so well, and the "habitat" is so good, that two years ago the State started a very limited trapping season. This year was the second year. Only so many animals are allowed to be trapped each year, then the season closes.

Well, they also had an unforseen side-effect to getting the otters back. They have been cleaning out all the hatchery raised trout the DNR have been stocking in the local trout streams! Those yuppy big-city trout "fishermen" are really p*ssed about that - because their money is being used to raise and stock those trout for THEM to catch, not to feed some furry rodents! They actually were one of the big lobbying groups to get the trapping season set up. Unintended consequences - leading to anti-fur/trapping advocates to lobby the legislature to institute a trapping season.

Of course, stock trout in some of these streams has come close to causing the extinction of some of the native minnow/chub populations. More Unintended Consequences.

I haven't seen any otters through here personally, but I've seen some signs - tracks/slides. A friend flies a plane for the Minnesota DNR doing counts of otter slides along the rivers. Their populations are increasing rapidly here in the Upper Midwest in the U.S. Few or no natural predators with great habitat and food supply quickly leads to that.

And a few fish farmers have had to put up electrified mesh fencing around their ponds - to try to keep the otters out.

Just a few humble observations to share.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Sep 27, 2007
essex
Those yuppy big-city trout "fishermen" are really p*ssed about that - because their money is being used to raise and stock those trout for THEM to catch said:
I know the type. My local river is now out of bounds because a fishing club some 40 miles away decided to use it for their club, and now 'ban' anyone from using it. When will they realize nobody 'owns' nature.

The only trouble we have where I live are from the mink as they do cause havoc with our native water voles.

Kris

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
I used to see them regularly in Aberystwyth Marina. Not now in Devon, I head that a mother and cub were caught in a poachers fish trap up the river recently which is a real shame as they most have only recently moved back in to the area.

Sep 27, 2007
essex
I used to see them regularly in Aberystwyth Marina. Not now in Devon, I head that a mother and cub were caught in a poachers fish trap up the river recently which is a real shame as they most have only recently moved back in to the area.

I think that was a crayfish trap? Shame, poors things don't have much luck.

Kris

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE