OT - Taekwondo - got to vent..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I have three daughters, all of them either 1st or 2nd Dan, who competed fairly regularly and successfully at national and international level in the full-contact *** style as youngsters. Its a great sport, but the current furore over the non-selection of Aaron cook for the Olympics has me spitting feathers. For those who don't follow this, Aaron is the current World and Olympic No 1 at -80kg, won the recent (May 2012) Olympics selection competition and the European championships, beating the-then World No 1 in the process. He has beaten 10 of the top 15 ranked competitors in their last meetings, and hasn't fought the others. He is - in short - in top form and one of GB's best chances for a medal at the Olympics.

However, he had a falling-out with the GB Taekwondo organisation a year or so ago over their training methods which he found personally to be too defensively-oriented for him, and set up his own training camp with one of the world's best coaches, funding it himself (no Sports lottery funding as he withdrew from the "elite" scheme). since then he's won pretty much everything, proving he was right to go his own way.

Despite all that, he's not been selected for the Olympics at -80kg, the selection going instead to a very talented youngster, but one who has never won a major international event at -80kg, and who is ranked nearly 60 places below Aaron. The British Olympic association has refused to accept the nomination of the youngster - 3 times - but the GB Taekwondo keep on re-submitting him. The World Taekwondo Federation is now getting involved, but they - like the BOA - appear impotent to block this.

There are no valid grounds for this decision (head-shots is the only item the elite team seem to be putting forward, ironically an Aaron speciality!), and it has all the hall-marks of a political revenge on someone leaving the "elite" training scheme to go his own way. But the impact is much more than just affecting Aaron - the pressure it puts on the youngster Lutalo is immense, and the other three competitors are also being dragged into it as well (particularly Sarah Stevenson, who's married to one of the "Elite" coaches).

Need to take a chill-pill, but this really steams me up!

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
As a complete outsider with no knowledge of the sport, I would say that the situation that has been created puts immense pressure on whoever ends up competing, as they will have to do well, or there will be an inquest along the lines of 'how much better the other guy who wasn't selected would have done'. Unfair on both participants. Terrible management by the selection panel.

However, in the situation that currently exists, I would be inclined to back the world number 1 competitor above the world number 59, just because they have a track record of dealing with the pressure.

Terrible for whoever doesn't compete though.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sometimes you wonder just how much egotism is involved among the trainers and not the athletes. Presumably too, at the end of the day their politics will be severely biased by £££ for increased fees for having trained an olympic medallist ?

Sounds like the kind of thing that the selectors would have 'liked' to have kept quiet........maybe the more the dispute is publicised, with it's reasons, the better result long term for the sport ?

Takes guts and conviction to stand apart from the status quo and it's can't be easy for either of the two young men.

Hope it resolves well.

cheers,
Toddy

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
They (GBTO) know exactly what their doing, they are making a stand against what they think is an underminding of their power all these groups are the same and you'll find 9/10 they arn't/weren't the better Taekwondo players of their generation either....

The real martial artists would want us being represented by the best

woodspirits

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
sorry to hear that Andy although i dont follow taekwondo, everything i have been involved in either work or hobby, there has always been some nobody out to make a name for him/herself on the back of others. its the way of the world mate i cant change that. work aside i try to avoid hierarchy type persuits and stay solitary, then i just argue with myself. :D

Last edited:

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Never been a big fan of TKD personally AndyBB.

For one thing its exorbitantly expensive, most clubs I know are like a franchise and I've only met three followers in thirty years who were actually any good at it.

As for egos? Look at the shenanigans when the competitor at the last Olympics turned on the referee when the decision went against him. The local instructor here has a chip on her shoulder so big it draws more attention than the road and rail bridges where I live.

I feel sorry for your daughters as TKD has always been riven by splits and egos, even way back in the 80's.

Liam

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
The sad thing about it all is that the elite training works for most in the sport, and GB has some very impressive talent coming through as a result. but it didn't work for Aaron, and he spent £100,ooo putting his money where his mouth is, training in a shed at the bottom of his parents' garden. And the results backed his decision. However, if it had been one of my kids becoming No 1 in the world then getting ignored for an Olympics place, I'd have been off to Manchester with a GB forest axe:)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Could be worse - at least he can train in his chosen sport without leaving the country. The UK pistol team - also long term medal winners - are forced to train in other countries - even though special legal exemptions are passed for foreign teams to compete in the very country the UK team are banned from training in!

Now that really is the glory of politics in Sport.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
At least they get to represent GB in the London Olympics if they're good enough.....

If they are rich enough to travel internationally twice a month for sure - personally I don't think that should be a qualifying issue.

Of course they are also competing in a sport that is illegal in this country (except when the government choose to make special dispensations). I personally would rather see all sports allowed in the UK - rather than worry too much about Olympic selection. But then I would rather participate in sport than watch it.

Each to their own.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
If they are rich enough to travel internationally twice a month for sure - personally I don't think that should be a qualifying issue.

Of course they are also competing in a sport that is illegal in this country (except when the government choose to make special dispensations). I personally would rather see all sports allowed in the UK - rather than worry too much about Olympic selection. But then I would rather participate in sport than watch it.

Each to their own.

I don't see it as an "either/or" situation. I do see it as an individual being deprived of something he has worked incredibly hard for, put much money into, and has been deprived of on non-sporting grounds. World No 1, yet overlooked for someone ranked 57 places lower?

Each to his own I guess..........

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do get it Andy - and I understand your frustration.

I just think the whole UK Olympics is a joke these days - particularly because my sport was denied to every UK resident - many many people who had trained for decades were deprived of their sport and had the equipment removed by force of law. But now we admit foreign nationals with the same equipment without even a background check. It does make me very angry.

Doesn't excuse what happened to this guy I agree

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Don't get me wrong - I'm also totally opposed to the ridiculous regulations regarding pistol shooting, which is why I said I dont think its an "either/or" scenario. There is absolutely no sensible reason why pistols couldn't be kept in secure conditions within the UK for competition shooting. Lets face it, its not as if pistols are particularly hard to come by in the UK for the non-law-abiding......

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
Don't get me wrong - I'm also totally opposed to the ridiculous regulations regarding pistol shooting, which is why I said I dont think its an "either/or" scenario. There is absolutely no sensible reason why pistols couldn't be kept in secure conditions within the UK for competition shooting. Lets face it, its not as if pistols are particularly hard to come by in the UK for the non-law-abiding......

a lot of people say that but i bet 95% of the posters here would have difficulty buying a working pistol with ammo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE