Osprey 58 pattern smell ...

Gagnrad

Forager
Jul 2, 2010
South East
So I recently bought a new one.

It's the genuine thing, made by BCB, not some Chinese copy. It's a classic and has endured for over half a century. So far so good.

OK, as plastics go the Osprey product is pretty innocuous. No BPA. AFAIK, it's high-density polythene (or maybe polyurethane) and fairly stable.

But it stinks. Being new and unused I guess it's still "gassing out" a bit as plastics tend to do. I had one before, but I don't remember that smell.

I'm not paranoid about plastics -- although I do think as a society we should be more aware of the drawbacks than we are -- and one's carpets and electrical equipment gassing out are a bigger issue. I usually use a Klean Kanteen stainless steel bottle, but that only holds about three-quarters as much (and actually less than the Klean Kanteen company claims). Sometimes a bigger bottle is just nice.

But that smell gets me. It's a rather acrid, chemical smell and also reminiscent of fires and smoke.

Washed it and rinsed it. Left it open, since it'll have been shut up in its wrapper since leaving the factory. Still smells though.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
If it's really polythene for food use it shouldn't smell.

Are you confident of the supplier?

You could try soaking it in a solution of bicarb.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They do smell. As said, Bicarb of soda is your friend, teaspoon in, fill with water, soak for an hour and bobs your uncle you will be fine for a time. You will need to do this from time to time. Taking into account the many thousands of people who use them, you too will come to no harm.

kard133

Mar 20, 2010
Bath
I have heard of filling them with boiling water, leaving the cap off and letting them cool, this will speed up the leaching of that plastic taste/smell. Follow this with the bicarb solution and repeat as necessary.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE