Osprey Aerial 65L Women's Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
No problem looking forward to seeing them :)

Once you've got the required skill set (shelter building, firecraft, trapping and foraging etc) give it a shot it's surprisingly rewarding! Although mine will be less man vs wild and more fat bloke sits under a bush in the rain eating blackberries :lmao:

Hey you know what I've learned from being fat? You may get tired quicker, and you may move slower, but you'll be a damn sight warmer in that cold weather! ;)

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
+1 to that in all fairness it was a good informative no BS review video no reason not to like it

Not even watched it tbh mick. It was more the thought there was some sort of anti female element on here that made me post (rachel, if there is i haven't spotted it)
It'll just be some lone idiot, fret ye not

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Not even watched it tbh mick. It was more the thought there was some sort of anti female element on here that made me post (rachel, if there is i haven't spotted it)
It'll just be some lone idiot, fret ye not

Oh I'm sure there isn't. In fact, the chances are it's not even a regular member. It's most likely some lurker or passer by who is so bored they feel the need to downvote videos. I've met more than a few of those in forums lol.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Hey you know what I've learned from being fat? You may get tired quicker, and you may move slower, but you'll be a damn sight warmer in that cold weather! ;)

I like to think of it as not having to waste pack space on spare food. I've got about a month or 2's worth of calories round my waste should something go wrong and I have to fall back on survival skills in the wilds...

J

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I like to think of it as not having to waste pack space on spare food. I've got about a month or 2's worth of calories round my waste should something go wrong and I have to fall back on survival skills in the wilds...

J

:lmao: with you on that one Julia! More room to feed my tea addiction. I struggle without tea.

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
:lmao: with you on that one Julia! More room to feed my tea addiction. I struggle without tea.

Oh I know what you mean. I've adapted recently to 'tea without milk' for my trip. It's not so bad. But WITHOUT tea? Nooooo *British wailing* ;)

J

I know you're kidding but in all seriousness, a few extra lbs never hurt anyone on such a trip. Imagine if Chris McCandless were 50lbs heavier. He may not have looked as handsome, but he certainly would've survived longer than 3 months!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Rachel ?

I would rather not remove your link; I honestly don't know anyone here who would be so asinine. The forum literally has thousands of hits every single day though, it could have been anybody :dunno:

Hopefully folks here will see the review and they'll help wipe out the cretin's stupidity.
Sometimes we just have to accept that there are some utter fundamental orifices around who really do need a cranium extraction from aforemetioned crevice.

Nice to see a review from the persective of a female who doesn't quite fit the standard 'athletic cut' of much modern outdoor gear.
Reality is curves :)

M

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK

J

Rachel ?

I would rather not remove your link; I honestly don't know anyone here who would be so asinine. The forum literally has thousands of hits every single day though, it could have been anybody :dunno:

Hopefully folks here will see the review and they'll help wipe out the cretin's stupidity.
Sometimes we just have to accept that there are some utter fundamental orifices around who really do need a cranium extraction from aforemetioned crevice.

Nice to see a review from the persective of a female who doesn't quite fit the standard 'athletic cut' of much modern outdoor gear.

M

Hi Toddy,

If you wish to leave it, that's ok :) I must admit my post was made 'in the moment'; I just couldn't quite understand it. I know trolling exists etc, but I believe that in this day and age of the internet people have started to say 'meh, just a troll' as a way of explaining genuinely nasty and horrible people. Maybe I am old fashioned lol. In 'my day', people were only ever mean if they were REALLY going out of their way lol.

But thank you; I am so, so far from the typical hiker (4 foot 11 inches tall, and currently weigh approx. 198lbs), but I do love walking long distances, I do it as often as possible!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I'm 5'2", it's always been a struggle to find a well fitting backpack. In the end I bought a Lady Berghaus with the adjustable backplate and it's as small as it can be to fit me. I don't just have a bust, I have a backside too, and a difference of twelve inches between hip and waist and the same from bust to waist. Hip belts aren't comfortable either and chest straps are a nightmare of accommodation :sigh: even when wearing nobounce sports bras.
I haven't been straight up and down since primary six :eek:

Best of luck with your trip and it's planning :) and if you do get up to Comriecroft, let folks know; it's a favourite site for many of us up here.

cheers,
M

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK

J

I'm 5'2", it's always been a struggle to find a well fitting backpack. In the end I bought a Lady Berghaus with the adjustable backplate and it's as small as it can be to fit me. I don't just have a bust, I have a backside too, and a difference of twelve inches between hip and waist and the same from bust to waist. Hip belts aren't comfortable either and chest straps are a nightmare of accommodation :sigh: even when wearing nobounce sports bras.
I haven't been straight up and down since primary six :eek:

Best of luck with your trip and it's planning :) and if you do get up to Comriecroft, let folks know; it's a favourite site for many of us up here.

cheers,
M
OMG you are officially my spirit animal! hehehe

I have an 11 inch differene between mine; despite my larger size for my height, if you poked my waist you'd feel ribs!!!

The adjustable settings on this Osprey have saved me. The S/M size would not fit round me, but the M/L did, and after adjusting the back height, the shop dude found it formed around my shoulders better (once weighted of course)

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Steph is eagerly awaiting hers now! She said the ones that suit me are no good for her, for all she's quite tall (about 5'11") she too is quite well endowed so finds some of them uncomfortable so worth every penny if it's more comfortable for her

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Oh I know what you mean. I've adapted recently to 'tea without milk' for my trip. It's not so bad. But WITHOUT tea? Nooooo *British wailing* ;)

I found that the solution is Dairy Stix I've been using them for over a year now and they've been really good when out and about. I find one sachet is just the right size for a 300ml mug of tea...

I know you're kidding but in all seriousness, a few extra lbs never hurt anyone on such a trip. Imagine if Chris McCandless were 50lbs heavier. He may not have looked as handsome, but he certainly would've survived longer than 3 months!

I'm not actually kidding. I don't bother carrying extra food beyond my planned food for the days I'm hiking. As long as I can keep drinking water, I'll be fine...

Rachel ?

You'll find my [thread=135402]Páramo review[/thread] interesting then...

Hi Toddy,

If you wish to leave it, that's ok :) I must admit my post was made 'in the moment'; I just couldn't quite understand it. I know trolling exists etc, but I believe that in this day and age of the internet people have started to say 'meh, just a troll' as a way of explaining genuinely nasty and horrible people. Maybe I am old fashioned lol. In 'my day', people were only ever mean if they were REALLY going out of their way lol.

Unfortunately for a woman, an opinion works the same on the internet as as a mini skirt does in the outside world...

Fortunately this forum has been very good for tolerant sensible people.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have an 11 inch differene between mine; despite my larger size for my height, if you poked my waist you'd feel ribs!!!

And in a nice demonstration of how the varied women who hike/bushcraft are. the difference between my measurements is <5", but the various bits appear to be offset in different directions... It makes buying clothing a right pain...

J

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Unfortunately for a woman, an opinion works the same on the internet as as a mini skirt does in the outside world...

Whilst I understand you're being supportive Q, you don't really believe that do you?

Rachel, truth of the matter is there is a nasty element to the web... because people can act anonymously for the most part, as Alfred said to Batman "Some people just want to watch the world burn". Whoever it is posting up to the YouTube in particular needs to have a thick skin and largely ignore the votes and the comments because you can guarantee you'll be offended. I watched an interview recently with Matt Damon where he explained that he rarely read reviews, but in this day and age an actor must read them to gauge public response. He followed it up by saying that he never, ever reads comments and detailed his reasons why.

Forums, particularly this one, are a little different. There are so many people here who have met in person or exchanged goods/services, and there seems to be an underlying respect for an opinion as well. There are debates, but they are incredibly civilised and if a thread starts to turn towards something that isn't pleasant, it is moderated appropriately. Someone has come across your link who has decided it'd be fun to make a couple of down votes, but frankly, I'd ignore them... the best way to tackle it is to get more involved with the good people who inhabit this forum, make some friends and enjoy what is possibly one of the few 'safe' environments left on the web where abuse and trolling isn't really tolerated. Its just not that sort of place.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Whilst I understand you're being supportive Q, you don't really believe that do you?

Unfortunately I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary. You only need to see the amount of abuse people like Laurie Penny, Mary Beard, Sue Perkins, Dr Jack Monroe and Caroline CriadoPerez get when ever they commit the heinous crime of speaking to realise that it is true. You don't see if often, but even on this forum I've had replies to threads where it is an attack. I've been online long enough to know what happens. Sure it ain't pretty, but it's the price you pay for freedom of speech. Doesn't make it right tho.

Rachel, truth of the matter is there is a nasty element to the web... because people can act anonymously for the most part, as Alfred said to Batman "Some people just want to watch the world burn". Whoever it is posting up to the YouTube in particular needs to have a thick skin and largely ignore the votes and the comments because you can guarantee you'll be offended. I watched an interview recently with Matt Damon where he explained that he rarely read reviews, but in this day and age an actor must read them to gauge public response. He followed it up by saying that he never, ever reads comments and detailed his reasons why.

Rule 1 of the internet, never read the comments...

Forums, particularly this one, are a little different. There are so many people here who have met in person or exchanged goods/services, and there seems to be an underlying respect for an opinion as well. There are debates, but they are incredibly civilised and if a thread starts to turn towards something that isn't pleasant, it is moderated appropriately. Someone has come across your link who has decided it'd be fun to make a couple of down votes, but frankly, I'd ignore them... the best way to tackle it is to get more involved with the good people who inhabit this forum, make some friends and enjoy what is possibly one of the few 'safe' environments left on the web where abuse and trolling isn't really tolerated. Its just not that sort of place.

Very well said.

J

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Only if you're in the notion to believe in a little middle aged sugarplum fairy shaped one :eek: :eek:

:D

:rofl:

M

Oh, if only i could upload the image in my head now :lmao:

Theres a sugerplum fairy on top of a ziggurat, with a coyote face (simpsons), and a scottish accent :lmao:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Unfortunately I've yet to see any evidence to the contrary. You only need to see the amount of abuse people like Laurie Penny, Mary Beard, Sue Perkins, Dr Jack Monroe and Caroline CriadoPerez get when ever they commit the heinous crime of speaking to realise that it is true. You don't see if often, but even on this forum I've had replies to threads where it is an attack. I've been online long enough to know what happens. Sure it ain't pretty, but it's the price you pay for freedom of speech. Doesn't make it right tho.

The same could be said for their male counterparts though. You only have to look at the abuse given to Ronnie Pickering, the unfortunate fella that experienced a spot of road rage. The Internet has made mincemeat of him in a matter of days. Anyone, and I do mean anyone who puts themselves forward, even inadvertently on the web gets stick and I don't think gender really has much to do with it.

I can't speak for all you've mentioned, but I had the pleasure of debating with Laurie Penny before she started to write commercially. She is impossible to debate with as everything said was twisted around. Apparently I was misogynistic and juvenile for disagreeing with her on the most basic of points, and this continued throughout the debate with many others. Whilst I don't claim to know her in real life, she misrepresented some very fair-minded individuals simply because they were male. Not cricket at all and PennyRed as she was known then was quickly ostracised from the community because she couldn't hold a conversation without claiming that anyone who disagreed with her was an outright sexist and misogynist.

From what I can gather Jack Monroe was a victim of her own success, much in the way of Justin Beiber. She had a very marmite personality and viewpoint, and very quickly suffered the 'Attack of the Trolls'. Think about the way people talk about Beiber, how quick they are to abuse him (I do it myself) and compare it to what happened to Jack. Success, especially success from someone who could have been your next door neighbour breeds contempt and for some reason hatred.

In a previous life (not literally) I put myself up for scrutiny by expressing some heartfelt views, I shared the same platform as Laurie and I can tell you that the abuse I received, the personal threats and the character assassination (especially about my physical appearance) was vicious. I dared to express a view, a view that is held by many people but wasn't quite to the liking of several thousand people who took to the web to tear me apart. I took the abuse, I carried on writing and only stopped when I realised that the trolls were outweighing the genuine readers, so I decided not to continue. What tipped me over the edge? They chose not to just attack me, my appearance, my so-called status, but instead to target my children and my wife.

I'm afraid that when the old BBS network crumbled and the Internet arrived, the world became a much crueler place for those who have an opinion on the world. For every good the web has had on our society, for all the benefits of social media and the amazing advances in technology, what we've really done is unleash a dark side of what would normally be good people. A cruelty and a wickedness that only anonymity allows.

I hope I haven't offended with this, wasn't my intention... but what has happened to Rachel happens to millions everyday on the social network of YouTube. It isn't right, it isn't how the majority would act, but its people like me who wished and willed the Internet to be born, to expand and spread without realising the cradle of knowledge could turn into a monster just as easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE