Osprey Aerial 65L Women's Rucksack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
[ NOTE: This has not been field tested yet. I will update my post when I do ]

I made a quick video review of my new Osprey Aerial 65L Women's Rucksack. It fits like a glove, supports my back rather nicely (it is heat mouldable, so it forms to your shape) and given I am a bigger lady, it doesn't hurt my back when full, or feel cumbersome.

I read the rules and as far as I can tell it's okay I post this video here. Please let me know if I have misunderstood something! :)

My channel is HERE (always interested in constructive criticism!)

[video=youtube;lCfcHuJ7NFQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCfcHuJ7NFQ[/video]

Last edited:

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Think you're good on vid posting rules for anything like that, very informative :) what's it like comfort wise? SWMBO is in need of a new pack so I can drag her round the countryside with me XD

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Think you're good on vid posting rules for anything like that, very informative :) what's it like comfort wise? SWMBO is in need of a new pack so I can drag her round the countryside with me XD

OMG it's SO comfortable. Again, I am a bigger lady - I have my OWN weight to contend with, and I can still walk for several hours with it. After a while you kinda forget its there. The heat mouldable straps and backing mean it conforms to your body (important for a woman I think, since we are more prone to back ache). I would recommend it for her! (or, if she's small, just stuff her in the darn thing so she has no choice hehehehe)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
OMG it's SO comfortable. Again, I am a bigger lady - I have my OWN weight to contend with, and I can still walk for several hours with it. After a while you kinda forget its there. The heat mouldable straps and backing mean it conforms to your body (important for a woman I think, since we are more prone to back ache). I would recommend it for her! (or, if she's small, just stuff her in the darn thing so she has no choice hehehehe)
Good to know that cheers :) the mouldable back padding is what piqued my interest actually, less of an issue for me I favour bags with little padding but using my old Spartan she said it was uncomfortable (way too big, really heavy, little padding) don't think she would get in but maybe good to stuff the ankle biter in if her legs get tired XD. We're all looking at going to the moot (those 2 core days, me longer) so needs a decent pack

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Welcome to BCUK. Nice video of a nice pack. I have the Osprey Tempest 30, which I have [thread=125755]reviewed[/thread]. It looks like the Aerial shares some of the same designs as the Tempest, so you may want to watch out for things like the stretchy pockets (see photos in my review of damage to the pockets).

You describe yourself as bigger lady, I found that with my ample chest endowment that the straps on the tempest did not sit so well when I was wearing just a base layer in summer, you can see my [thread=125924]mods here[/thread]. Make sure you try the pack with just a base layer to see if you have any similar issues.

It's great to see someone else reviewing women's specific outdoor gear. Keep em coming!

Cheers

Julia

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Welcome to BCUK. Nice video of a nice pack. I have the Osprey Tempest 30, which I have [thread=125755]reviewed[/thread]. It looks like the Aerial shares some of the same designs as the Tempest, so you may want to watch out for things like the stretchy pockets (see photos in my review of damage to the pockets).

You describe yourself as bigger lady, I found that with my ample chest endowment that the straps on the tempest did not sit so well when I was wearing just a base layer in summer, you can see my [thread=125924]mods here[/thread]. Make sure you try the pack with just a base layer to see if you have any similar issues.

It's great to see someone else reviewing women's specific outdoor gear. Keep em coming!

Cheers

Julia

Ah yes, I am 'ample chested' like yourself. I find the chest strap does a weird squashing thing (although I think that's just 'one of those', it fits comfortably). I will check out your review, that's interesting about the pockets!

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Ah yes, I am 'ample chested' like yourself. I find the chest strap does a weird squashing thing (although I think that's just 'one of those', it fits comfortably). I will check out your review, that's interesting about the pockets!

Ah the amount of time spent trying to find suitable ways to describe my pair of Parus major in reviews/posts within the rules of the forum... :p

My old Deuter pack the sternum strap would fit underneath, and provide additional support... On the Tempest it doesn't work the same. I don't know if it's the same on the Aeriel, but I could use it being about half an inch higher...

I've been trying to write a review of a jacket, but so far I've got side tracked with a rant about feminism and the outdoors industry... If I can ever steer it back in the right direction, I'll post it...

J

PS I've been trying to find something in English, Dutch or scandiwegian that rhymes with Rachel... failing so far...

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
Does this help?

There was a lady called Rachel
Whose rucksack wish would compel
Through many catalogues to sort
For the best feminine comfort
In a pack size that was also palatial.

:D

Rob, just back from a funeral and had a couple of beers, so blame them not me.

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Um, would a mod mind deleting this post please? Sorry about that -- since posting it here I've been 'downvote trolled' by some asinine being. All of my videos now have 100% downvotes, and since this is the only place it is posted, I cannot help but think some unsavoury individual browsing these pages is responsible. Thank you very much.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Um, would a mod mind deleting this post please? Sorry about that -- since posting it here I've been 'downvote trolled' by some asinine being. All of my videos now have 100% downvotes, and since this is the only place it is posted, I cannot help but think some unsavoury individual browsing these pages is responsible. Thank you very much.

Off to a rough start
If it were me i wouldn't worry about it at all tbh. I take it this is a youtube voting thing?.....i werent even fully aware of any votes that a video got :confused:
Post a link to your channel and i'm sure the voting situation will change

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Off to a rough start
If it were me i wouldn't worry about it at all tbh. I take it this is a youtube voting thing?.....i werent even fully aware of any votes that a video got :confused:
+1 to that in all fairness it was a good informative no BS review video no reason not to like it

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Off to a rough start

I don't mind a negative vote or two if there's a reason (*a comment saying why would help for e.g.), but this is very formulaic and quite obviously done on purpose. I will try your advice, but tbh at this point I am not sure I want to :/ everyone in this tread has been lovely, and welcoming but evidently there are some idiots here just out to ruin someone's day.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
More than welcome Rachel. It would be a shame to stop doing them for a few trolls that have nothing better to do than decry someone's efforts to put across an impartial opinion, you'll always get them. :nofeed: (I've been waiting months to use that little guy!)

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
More than welcome Rachel. It would be a shame to stop doing them for a few trolls that have nothing better to do than decry someone's efforts to put across an impartial opinion, you'll always get them. :nofeed: (I've been waiting months to use that little guy!)

Haha, glad I gave you the opportunity! ;) oh I wouldn't stop making them. I enjoy videos, always have. But I was already a bit nervous about publicly posting my vid (since I am hardly a 'face for tv', as it were, and ppl may see my other vlogs). It's more a confidence thing, than 'letting them win' kind of thing. Call me an optimist: I really hate it how people get off on being negative towards someone who doesn't deserve it. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Haha, glad I gave you the opportunity! ;) oh I wouldn't stop making them. I enjoy videos, always have. But I was already a bit nervous about publicly posting my vid (since I am hardly a 'face for tv', as it were). It's more a confidence thing, than 'letting them win' kind of thing. Call me an optimist: I really hate it how people get off on being negative towards someone who doesn't deserve it. :rolleyes:
I get you on the confidence thing but nothing to worry about, I for one will certainly be following the hiking trips and I'm not the only one here. I've been toying with the idea of uploading some of my exploits, a few people here suggested it for my no gear challenges where people think up more weird and wonderful ways to try to kill me! Unfortunately it'll be a while as your videos showed the go pro May be waterproof, but is definitely not bulletproof. Make of that what you will while I sit and feel foolish mourning my camera :lmao:

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
I get you on the confidence thing but nothing to worry about, I for one will certainly be following the hiking trips and I'm not the only one here. I've been toying with the idea of uploading some of my exploits, a few people here suggested it for my no gear challenges where people think up more weird and wonderful ways to try to kill me! Unfortunately it'll be a while as your videos showed the go pro May be waterproof, but is definitely not bulletproof. Make of that what you will while I sit and feel foolish mourning my camera :lmao:

Oh those videos sound awesome!!! And uh... you shot your camera!? Wut haha.

And thank you :) if you use YouTube I would appreciate a subscription (I hope that's allowed mods, I will edit if not!) No gear sounds so awesome. My pack, base weight (no food/water), weighs approx 14lbs so far. Trying to get that to about 12 if not 10.

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Unfortunately I didn't get to upload any! I was so concerned about not shooting my chronograph I shot the camera instead lol.

Already subbed :) no gear is a laugh in a way but it's definitely a challenge. If only they would allow me waterproofs! Ultralight is easy enough but fairly expensive, unless you're willing to make most of your own gear

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Mar 26, 2015
Birmingham, UK
Unfortunately I didn't get to upload any! I was so concerned about not shooting my chronograph I shot the camera instead lol.

Already subbed :) no gear is a laugh in a way but it's definitely a challenge. If only they would allow me waterproofs! Ultralight is easy enough but fairly expensive, unless you're willing to make most of your own gear

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

Ha ouch, poor camera! :p

Thank you so much for subbing, you're my first subscriber <3 am looking forward to uploading my hikes around scotland next year!

No gear is a bit much for me I think hehe, but I really admire your bravery! Reminds me of Man vs Wild hahaha. (those videos are massively popular you should try that again!)

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Ha ouch, poor camera! :p

Thank you so much for subbing, you're my first subscriber <3 am looking forward to uploading my hikes around scotland next year!

No gear is a bit much for me I think hehe, but I really admire your bravery! Reminds me of Man vs Wild hahaha. (those videos are massively popular you should try that again!)

No problem looking forward to seeing them :)

Once you've got the required skill set (shelter building, firecraft, trapping and foraging etc) give it a shot it's surprisingly rewarding! Although mine will be less man vs wild and more fat bloke sits under a bush in the rain eating blackberries :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE