osage shortbow

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
hi. heres a sinew backed osage shortbow i have just finished, its made from a stave i bought off ateallthepies of this forum, it has a python skin over the sinew and has zebrano tip overlays. it pulls 50# at 24" heres some pics.

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
thanks everyone. most snakeskins dont add strength but this python skin is so thick it will act like a rawhide backing. giving it some strength. it is mainly on to protect the sinew from moisture and for the decoration. i got it from a friend who worked in a petshop it had died.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Just noticed you are struggling with string alignment on the nock there? Statics are a nightmare to line up.

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
thanks everyone. yes dwardo string was off i only strung it for the pic and hadn't checked it. i didnt shoot it like that tho thank god. i wish timber yards would stock it i would love to get my hands on some more its great stuff.

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
thanks. i learned by watching youtube vids and plenty of reading also primitive archer forum has alot of great build alongs. im still a novice myself and always learn more with each bow.

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nice work mate :).... looks to have "followed the string" a little though.. Bet it shoots quite smoothly.

Last edited:

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
thanks yes it has followed the string a little, most of it happened before sinew as i tillered it most of the way then sinewed, but it shoots fast and smooth so im not to worried. :)

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
thanks everyone. yes dwardo string was off i only strung it for the pic and hadn't checked it. i didnt shoot it like that tho thank god. i wish timber yards would stock it i would love to get my hands on some more its great stuff.

I have done the same except actually shot it losing the string followed by lots of swearing
A tip I have come up with for stringing statics is to put an elastic band around the string at the deepest part of the recurve, keeps the string in the right place whilst you string it.

Nice work since again.

danny358

Tenderfoot
Jun 8, 2011
bolton
cheers for the tip i will try that one. with this bow i have started to use a bow stringer and am well happy i have its so much easier. the last recurve i made used to be a nightmare to string wothout one.

dwardo

Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
cheers for the tip i will try that one. with this bow i have started to use a bow stringer and am well happy i have its so much easier. the last recurve i made used to be a nightmare to string wothout one.

I would like to use a stringer but there is just something inherently wrong with stringing a bow towards your face :Wow:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE