Optimus or Primus (no transformers content!)??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Omnifuel.
I've had one for a few years and it's never let me down.very robust and well made. I do use gas, as well as all the other fuels, so I like being able to use whatever I need to. It takes all of about 30 seconds to change the jets, so it's not as if you spend ages messing around with them and there is a pocket in the storage bag to hold the jets.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
MattW said:
Stop going on about 111's!

OK mate, how about a couple of pics instead....

optimus111000.jpg

...and here's mine doing what it does..

optimus111001.jpg

The 111c is an awesome stove. 10,000 BTU's mmmmm toasty. :D

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
skybandit said:
Hi again guys, and thanks for yet more helpful info!

Hmmm so the decision of primus vs optimus seems to be ability to burn gas vs need to change needles..and the nova vs. nova+ is price/easier adjustment vs. safer adjustment.

There is nothing unsafe about the nova simmer control, they just updated it with a different design. A lot of people prefer the old one. It folds out in use and it very easy to control. I doesnt look quite as sexy as the new one though...

Here's mine fitted inside a trangia cookset (did I mention there is a £10 adapter for this?)....

trangnova9.jpg

You can see the simmer control lever is well away from the flame.

A pic of it running...

trangnova02.jpg

...and on simmer...

trangnova01.jpg

If you see a cheap one, snap it up. Lot of stove the nova.

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Martyn said:
The 111 runs on parafin, but the 111c is multifuel, it runs on anything. ;)

I know I may well be asking a daft question but have to make sure...
Even diesel? As in, the same stuff as my van runs on?

That would be handy.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
There are different types of 111, you have the 111b, which burns coleman fuel the 111 which burns kerosene, the 111t and the 111c (C stands for the Cobra burner fitted to it) silent burner which burns coleman, kerosene and meths. I have all of them (about 13 in total I think) but my overall favourite is the roarer 111 kero burner :) This seems a good deal, don't know what the postage to the UK is though

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Optimus-111-H...2QQihZ009QQcategoryZ87136QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I you like the little 8r, but want the fire power of the 111, try and find an Optimus Ranger, same size tank as the 8r, and same same size case, but with a 111T multifuel silent burner onboard :cool:

If you want a bigger 111 type stove, go for a British Army No.12, kerosene and diesel burner, all brass, stainless steel and aluminium construction, bomb proof, large fuel tank, and sounds like a rocket engine when going

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Thanks guys - all interesting stuff and an initiation into the world of stove collecting. I had never imagined it would be so popular! Now I know the answer to this really i suppose, as I guess it's the same as any other thing that you get a bug for, be it knives, cars, watches, cuff links or whatever, but how do you develop such an interest in stoves? and how often do you use em? I;m not trying to take the **** here, by the way, just genuinely interested in an interest I didn;t know existed!

cheers!

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
skybandit said:
Thanks guys - all interesting stuff and an initiation into the world of stove collecting. I had never imagined it would be so popular! Now I know the answer to this really i suppose, as I guess it's the same as any other thing that you get a bug for, be it knives, cars, watches, cuff links or whatever, but how do you develop such an interest in stoves? and how often do you use em? I;m not trying to take the **** here, by the way, just genuinely interested in an interest I didn;t know existed!

cheers!

My interest started back in the 60'swith the School climbing club, all we used were old Primus stoves, then a few years ago I was looking for spares for a stove that took my fancy in a junk shop and came across the stove site/forum. I use my stoves whenever I can, I've had 6 camps since January 1st this year and should manage another 6 before the year end so about 30 - 40 nights in total, and try and use different stoves depending on where and when I go. When the weather is good, I'll fire up a stove or two and cook out back

Army 12 and a SIGG Tourest cookset designed to fit the SVEA 123, all good fun

W

woodlanduk

OK guys this is not SPAM i thought that a video show a little more than the odd picture http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGomIOsNO-s
Now i find using Unleaded Petrol not only cheap but easy to find on any UK road so when im out i pull in to fill up with diesel and pop a gallon can of the Unleaded petrol on the boot for the cooker now i use an old 1 ltr sigg fuel bottle for my stove so it seems to last for ages and with a gallon / 4.54 ltrs i get 9 time the fuel for £5:00 unlike coleman white fuel at £7:00 per 500ml thats like around £63:00 per gallon............ i would rather put up with a bit of servicing and cleaning my mess tin than pay that sort of money for fuel when in area you cant build a fire and yes Diesel does work too so if you can get RED DIESEL either from a farmer the local boat yard or even building site its only 63p/ltr just DONT put it in the car or HM customs will not be happy bunnys :lmao: but its ok for the Boat,Generator or your combine if your a farmer.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Any version of the 111 is good news

111 running on Kerosene..... loud and hot.....

P1010081-1.jpg

111T running on Kero

P1010119.jpg

111B at full chat on white gasoline.....VERY LOUD and VERY HOT

P1010117.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE