Optimus or Primus (no transformers content!)??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Hi guys.

Having seen my friend's optimus himalaya in action I immediately set about coveting his nice bit of kit (we always seem to buy the latest bit of kit that the other has just got!), and of course considering buying one. However now that I look into it, I see that Optimus also make an equivalent to the Himalaya omnifuel; the Nova and Nova+. Making things worse is that I understand MSR are good too.

Which to go for? I'd love to hear your experiences and advice.

Cheers
Pirran

mojofilter

Nomad
Mar 14, 2004
bonnie scotland
I have a Nova and love it, its a brilliant stove! The Optimus (there are various models, remember) also has the option of burning gas as well as liquid.

There is very little to choose between the two of them, but both are a better choise than the MSR, which don't simmer well, and have a cheap and nasty plastic pump compared to the metal one on the Swedish offerings.

Here's mine being put to a bit of domestic use. :D

P1030489.jpg

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I grew up using MSR petrol stoves. They're a little more expensive than the Primus variety but they have some unique features such as automatic jet cleaning needles built into them. You just shake the stove body up and down and a small needle inside does the cleaning for you. The only I don't particularly like about MSR stoves is that they fuel pumps are plastic whereas on Primus stoves they're metal. But other than that I'd say that MSR makes a far superior stove.

I don't know if that helps you at all Pirran, but you might consider looking into it.

Cheers mate,

Adam

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
addyb said:
I grew up using MSR petrol stoves. They're a little more expensive than the Primus variety but they have some unique features such as automatic jet cleaning needles built into them. You just shake the stove body up and down and a small needle inside does the cleaning for you. The only I don't particularly like about MSR stoves is that they fuel pumps are plastic whereas on Primus stoves they're metal. But other than that I'd say that MSR makes a far superior stove.

I don't know if that helps you at all Pirran, but you might consider looking into it.

Cheers mate,

Adam

All the stoves i have owned from optimus and primus, had a cleaning needle. I personnaly prefer optimus and primus above MSR, due to it's beter design and beter more durable materials.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Oh yes, I know that they have cleaning needles but all the Optimus and Primus stoves I've ever seen either had a manual needle used to ***** the jets or one that you activated by turning the burner control back and forth a la' the Optimus Hunter. However, modern MSR stoves use an automatic 'shaker jet' needle which is a little simpler and easier (to me at least) than the manual variety. But to be flat out honest, I still prefer a Trangia. :)

Opinions matter because everyone is entitled to their own, mate.

Have a good one,

Adam

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
addyb said:
Oh yes, I know that they have cleaning needles but all the Optimus and Primus stoves I've ever seen either had a manual needle used to ***** the jets or one that you activated by turning the burner control back and forth a la' the Optimus Hunter. However, modern MSR stoves use an automatic 'shaker jet' needle which is a little simpler and easier (to me at least) than the manual variety. But to be flat out honest, I still prefer a Trangia. :)

Opinions matter because everyone is entitled to their own, mate.

Have a good one,

Adam

The optimus nova has a cleaning needle that is activated by a magnet. The magnet is part of the adjuster tool that comes with the stove and you pass it under the stove to "pop" the needle up and down to clean the jet. You can do this while the stove is lit if necessary. Or you can just shake it when the stove is off like the msr.

The optimus nova also has just one jet for all fuel types, whereas you have to change jets with the msr if you chage fuels.

The steel pump of the optimus nova is way better than the plastic pump of the msr.

The simmer function on the optimus nova actually works, unlike the msr with gives you two options, full power and off.

The optimus nova is the better stove by a country mile.

Just my opinion of course.

;)

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
wow thanks guys for such helpful responses! First sorry for the confusing post - I have just re-read it and it should of course be "primus himalaya" - anyway, I think you understood!

It seems the general consensus is Optimus/Primus over MSR (sorry addy!) but that I won't be going far wrong whichever I plump for. I will be using it for cooking and not just boiling, so the flame adjustability is an important issue for me too.

I'm getting drawn towards the nova, but as you say mojo, there are two models, the standard and the plus. is the plus really any better?

Great photo mojo!!

Thanks again guys; interesting to hear the techy issues too, which aren;t really discussed on the manufacturers' websites!

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
skybandit said:
wow thanks guys for such helpful responses! First sorry for the confusing post - I have just re-read it and it should of course be "primus himalaya" - anyway, I think you understood!

It seems the general consensus is Optimus/Primus over MSR (sorry addy!) but that I won't be going far wrong whichever I plump for. I will be using it for cooking and not just boiling, so the flame adjustability is an important issue for me too.
I dont own an omnifuel, but they look very good and review very well against the nova, I think they are very evenly matched stoves. As a pure petrol stove, I think the nova may have the edge, but the omnifuel can also burn gas - gotta think about that, it could be a big plus. Whichever, they are both excellent.

there are two models, the standard and the plus. is the plus really any better?
The plus is an update to the nova. The nova came out first and they changed the fuel line system for the plus. The main difference between the two is that the plus has the simmer control on the hose, whereas the regular nova has a additional tap located on the burner itself. Aside from that they are identical. The plus is the latest version of the nova. If you find the regular nova for sale, it's probably old stock, but it's functionally the same. If you can find one cheap, I'd snap it up, otherwise buy the plus. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Flip a coin between the Nova and the Omnifuel, both great stoves and better built than the MSR. As Martyn said, you don't need to change jets between fuels with the Nova. The Nova plus is a little more tricky at simmering than the original, but is just as good when you have practised with it for a while. As a stove collector, I've got the Nova, Nova +, Omnifuel and Varifuel, and my pick would be the Nova (or +) as I do change between Naptha and paraffin and don't burn gas (although I've got a few gas stoves as well :rolleyes: )

If your solo camping, don't rule out some of the older smaller stoves like the Optimus 8r or Svea 123, they do a grand job, although not the lightest stoves by modern standards

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
MattW said:
Well, while not an actual Optimus, I've just bought one of these http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320113831851 apparently a Russian copy of an Optimus 8r (?).

Obviously not a lightweight backpacking stove and I'm sure it's a long way off Optimus quality but for £22 delivered, it has to be worth a play :)

cheers

Matt

A good buy Matt, your stove (the r8 as collectors call them) are a good bit of kit, I've dealt with that ebay seller a few times, he is a good chap, I've always sent him cash in the past without problem. Take some foil as a windshield and practise in the garden with the stove to get used to its simmer abilities, you should be able to boil say a litre of water and then simmer on for about another 50 minutes on a tank of fuel. I use panel wipe in all my petrol stoves, it burns much cleaner than unleaded and is a LOT cheaper than Coleman fuel. The price of panel wipe varies on which motor spares shop you use, cheapest I've had is £8 for 5 litres, some I've read pay £13, its still cheaper than £60 for 5 litres of Coleman :eek: So a 5 litre can will give you around 40 fills, a lot cheaper than gas ain't it :approve:

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
rik_uk3 said:
A good buy Matt, your stove (the r8 as collectors call them) are a good bit of kit, I've dealt with that ebay seller a few times, he is a good chap, I've always sent him cash in the past without problem. Take some foil as a windshield and practise in the garden with the stove to get used to its simmer abilities, you should be able to boil say a litre of water and then simmer on for about another 50 minutes on a tank of fuel. I use panel wipe in all my petrol stoves, it burns much cleaner than unleaded and is a LOT cheaper than Coleman fuel. The price of panel wipe varies on which motor spares shop you use, cheapest I've had is £8 for 5 litres, some I've read pay £13, its still cheaper than £60 for 5 litres of Coleman :eek: So a 5 litre can will give you around 40 fills, a lot cheaper than gas ain't it :approve:

Thanks for the advice Rik :) - it was actually a post from you that prompted me to get one (can't remember the thread now!). I've always fancied an Optimus 111 or Hunter, but never quite managed to make myself spend the money!
Do you happen to know if standard Optimus spares fit these Russian models?

sorry for the hijack!

Matt

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
MattW said:
Thanks for the advice Rik :) - it was actually a post from you that prompted me to get one (can't remember the thread now!). I've always fancied an Optimus 111 or Hunter, but never quite managed to make myself spend the money!
Do you happen to know if standard Optimus spares fit these Russian models?

sorry for the hijack!

Matt

I think the filler cap is a different thread, not sure about the burner jet cleaner (never needed to work on one) but the filler cap seal is the same. Which model 111 are you after, the silent burner multifuel?

MattW

Forager
Jun 2, 2005
Warrington, UK
rik_uk3 said:
I think the filler cap is a different thread, not sure about the burner jet cleaner (never needed to work on one) but the filler cap seal is the same. Which model 111 are you after, the silent burner multifuel?

Thanks Rik,
I guess I should get plenty of use out of it before I need to worry about spares :)

Yep, the multifuel 111 is the one I'd like!

cheers
Matt

skybandit

May 1, 2007
sussex, uk
Hi again guys, and thanks for yet more helpful info!

Hmmm so the decision of primus vs optimus seems to be ability to burn gas vs need to change needles..and the nova vs. nova+ is price/easier adjustment vs. safer adjustment. I doubt I would ever need to use gas/not have access to other fuels, but I suppose famous last words and all that....

Interesting martyn that you say to snap up a standard nova if cheap; I have just checked ebay and there is one on there (though now that I have told you no doubt it will go for more!)! I do always have a problem buying an old model if a new one is available (sad I know), even if it is cheaper! Must admit though I am a bit dubious as to how well twisting the fuel line could adjust the flame - doesn't this mean that if you nudge the set up there is a very real chance of the flame setting altering itself?

Rik, hi, and nice to meet a stove collector (didn't know such a person exisited!)....thanks for the suggestions, but you don't make a choice between the nova standard and the plus; come on, which would it be if being a collector was outlawed and you were only allowed to keep one?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
skybandit said:
Hi again guys, and thanks for yet more helpful info!

Hmmm so the decision of primus vs optimus seems to be ability to burn gas vs need to change needles..and the nova vs. nova+ is price/easier adjustment vs. safer adjustment. I doubt I would ever need to use gas/not have access to other fuels, but I suppose famous last words and all that....

Interesting martyn that you say to snap up a standard nova if cheap; I have just checked ebay and there is one on there (though now that I have told you no doubt it will go for more!)! I do always have a problem buying an old model if a new one is available (sad I know), even if it is cheaper! Must admit though I am a bit dubious as to how well twisting the fuel line could adjust the flame - doesn't this mean that if you nudge the set up there is a very real chance of the flame setting altering itself?

Rik, hi, and nice to meet a stove collector (didn't know such a person exisited!)....thanks for the suggestions, but you don't make a choice between the nova standard and the plus; come on, which would it be if being a collector was outlawed and you were only allowed to keep one?

The Nova, no real reason, I just like it more. You can pick them up for about £50 from the states http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Brunton-O...ryZ16036QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

even if you do get stuck with tax, its still cheaper than the UK. Marketed by Brunton, it is a 100% Optimus stove (Optimus, Silva, Brunton I think are all part of the same group)

As to stove collecting, well, its a world wide hobby

www.spiritburner.com

I'm not a big collector now, only around 40 stoves reduced from almost double that, some people (like oops56) have shed loads of them literaly. That said I have old Primus stoves that are 80+ years old, and burn just as hot as a Nova ;)

L

lukeuk2

i perfer the optimus 111 load burner, although it is a bit heavy its a cracking stove and can cook food for 2 or 3 poeple. second to that has to be the trangia although it takes a bit longer to burn its realible in most weather.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
lukeuk2 said:
i perfer the optimus 111 load burner, although it is a bit heavy its a cracking stove and can cook food for 2 or 3 poeple. second to that has to be the trangia although it takes a bit longer to burn its realible in most weather.

Thank you my son, you learn well, trully, the stove force is strong with you :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE