Optimus 111 modifications?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
I am lucky enough to be the proud owner of an Optimus 111 stove which was given to me a few years ago by a neighbour after her husband past away.

I have used it quite a bit now but it has developed a leak around where the spindle goes into the main burner casting and after stripping it to clean I discovered the graphite bearing was looking a little rough around the edges and was obviously not sealing properly. The spindle was also worn slightly where the bearing sits.

So my question is does anyone know of a reason why a couple of silicon o-rings in a turned carrier could not be used to replace the original graphite bearing?

I'm sure rik_uk3 will have some ideas about this. I suppose I could just get a new spindle and a couple of bearings from Base-Camp but I was wondering if a modern substitute would be more durable.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I am lucky enough to be the proud owner of an Optimus 111 stove which was given to me a few years ago by a neighbour after her husband past away.

I have used it quite a bit now but it has developed a leak around where the spindle goes into the main burner casting and after stripping it to clean I discovered the graphite bearing was looking a little rough around the edges and was obviously not sealing properly. The spindle was also worn slightly where the bearing sits.

So my question is does anyone know of a reason why a couple of silicon o-rings in a turned carrier could not be used to replace the original graphite bearing?

I'm sure rik_uk3 will have some ideas about this. I suppose I could just get a new spindle and a couple of bearings from Base-Camp but I was wondering if a modern substitute would be more durable.

If I was burning parrafin I'd be inclined to give it a try. With Parrafin if your mod let's go the result will not be as potentially spectacular as it would with 'petrol'.

The burner gets very hot in use so I'm not sure even silicone o rings would stand up to the temp but worth a go. Just be careful and run it outside on the first few goes..:):):)

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I am lucky enough to be the proud owner of an Optimus 111 stove which was given to me...

Lucky fellow!

It's as much a seal as a bearing. It's a good design, don't try to improve it.

It gets pretty hot down there. I'd worry about the temperature. A sudden large leak could be very dangerous.

I suppose I could just get a new spindle and a couple of bearings from Base-Camp but I was wondering if a modern substitute would be more durable.

Treat yourself. It's worth it. I would expect modern substitutes to be LESS durable. My 111B is probably 40 years old, and in the 20 years I've had it the only thing I've had to do is replace the non-return valve seal and leather washer. If you treat it well it will reward you with a lifetime's service. Mine goes with me everywhere.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Give Rik_UK3 a PM... He's a stove collector and knows his stuff. I'm sure he'll be able to tell you if this is a good idea, or where to get parts if it's not

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Looks just like my Hunter 8R stove. Is there any difference between the 111 and 8R?

If it has the silent domed burner fitted then its multifuel Nat, burns paraffin or Coleman and with an adaptor will burn meths. The fuel tank is bigger and has a pump to pressurise the stove, a LOT more heat than an 8R; it also simmers very well. If it has the roarer burner fitted its either paraffin or coleman type fuel.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
If it has the silent domed burner fitted then its multifuel Nat, burns paraffin or Coleman and with an adaptor will burn meths. The fuel tank is bigger and has a pump to pressurise the stove, a LOT more heat than an 8R; it also simmers very well. If it has the roarer burner fitted its either paraffin or coleman type fuel.

Oh, that's alot then.
Got my 8R from the father in law and he's had a donkey's age, Original jobby aswell but i darent' use it :confused:

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Thanks for the feedback folks.

Looks like I'll probably just replace the parts.
I wasn't concerned too much about it as I only use paraffin in it but the little flame that appears out of the spindle opening was annoying.

Lee Wright

Forager
Mar 9, 2009
Nottingham
I've got the same issue with a 99, not stripped it down yet so glad this came up, I know what I'm looking for now!

Kind of off topic but the threads that my jet screw into are well off centre causing the flame to be much stronger on one side of the spreader than the other. Tried adjusting the spreader to counter it but its still a long way off. Any ideas if this is normal or how to go about rectifying it?

Cheers, Lee.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've got the same issue with a 99, not stripped it down yet so glad this came up, I know what I'm looking for now!

Kind of off topic but the threads that my jet screw into are well off centre causing the flame to be much stronger on one side of the spreader than the other. Tried adjusting the spreader to counter it but its still a long way off. Any ideas if this is normal or how to go about rectifying it?

Cheers, Lee.

Have you tried another jet in the stove?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE