Opinions on loadout appreciated...!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ejcb

Dec 29, 2012
UK
I'm looking at renewing some of my gear at the moment, and having been out of the loop for a little while, decided to seek the knowledgeable masses of the forum!

I apologise in advance as I'm sure many of this has been asked before but also I'm not sure what section to post in...!?

Here it goes!

TW 3x3 Tarp x 2 - One for shelter, one as a ground sheet.

Hammock - The TW offerings like the green hornet with mosquito netting, I think there's another option that can be used on the ground also.

Para cord and pegs for fixing the above.

Bivvi Bag - I'm mainly concerned with waterproofing, I'm not sure of the best option.

Sleeping Mat - I expect these are much of a muchness, or am I wrong?

Folding Saw - Laplander - I'm not sure if the blades are replaceable but these seem good to go.

Wood Gas Stove - seem like a good option with loads of available fuel.

An alternative stove for an alternative fuel source would also be wise.

Gas / meths / etc...?

Cookset - would like something relatively compact but need to be able to make the brews and cook the beans and sausages...

Mugs - probably included above.

Cutlery

Axe - I'm thinking a gransfor, probably a 3/4 size camp style axe. A lansky puck for sharpening.

Thanks!

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
Re cutlery - I find I can get by with only a folding titanium spork for most trips, cooking ( I mainly do pre-packed camp food pouches), brewing up etc.
Cooksets - if your interested on keeping the weight down Evernew or Snowpeak both do solo cooksets in titanium a bit pricey but worth it in my opinion.

As for stoves, either a Trangia/Evernew type meths burner combined with a pocket stove (or similar ) should suit, that way if you run out of meths you've still got use of the wood burning stove.

My last couple of trips I've been using an Mkettle for brews and using the base unit for cooking on with a trivet to support the Pan you dont have any control over the flame this way, but if your only heating up pouch meals and you keep the food moving around the pan you dont have any problems with burning the food.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
I expect these are much of a muchness, or am I wrong?

Would you like to elaborate on that sentence, my foreign self does not quite understand the meaning of it ^^
Other then that it is also a bit of an aesthical taste game, I always carry hand made wooden spoons with me and the Knife I always carry, which I think is a great tool I seems to be missing.
As far as a camp axe I dont think you can go wrong with a nice Gransfors Small forest axe, I am not familiar with that sharpening stone so can't say anything useful about that.
And indeed your cookset is really dependent at what you wanna cook, I usually cook really Burgundian meals, so nice meat with a strong wine or ale with some fried potatoes, thats the reason I'm carrying huge pans but they are worth it to me, but might you go with the freeze dried, dehydrated food packets then you don't need a 2000 gram cast iron pan ^^.
As far as the Saw, Laplander is a great tool there was a discussion thread on here recently about laplander or the Silky Saws and it came down to Silky being the more quality tool but laplander being the mora under the saw( aka does a great job for a ridiculously low price), and yes the blades I think were replaceable but not very cheap.
I would also second guess that tarp as a ground sheet, but that also depends on what type of tarp it is, is it a 400 polyester tarp with a silicon layer you wouldnt have to think twice about it and it would be fine but a very thin light weight nylon tarp might be trouble as it can tear under you.
and other then that I'd say looks about good, but one question why double the shelter, the hammock and the bivibag, or do you just want other abilities of shelter, or were you really planning to put that all into the same shelter?
Also be aware that most bivibags are nothing more then a shell and you do still need a sleeping bag

Yours sincerely Ruud
awaiting response ^^

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'd go for a stout '58 pat poncho or a thick orange survival bag for ground sheet. Then you have multiple usage from them ;)

Ejcb

Dec 29, 2012
UK
Much of a muchness is an English idiom suggesting they're 'pretty much all the same'.

I use a uk issue jungle and arctic sleeping bag dependent on conditions, one of those orange survival bags seem like a good plan - light, waterproof and compact.

I was thinking that a hammock could add to the variety of sleeping arrangements, especially as the TW green hornet has an in built mosquito net, and the unit seems ideal for using on the ground also - flexibility really.

lathe dog

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Middlesex
I was thinking that a hammock could add to the variety of sleeping arrangements, especially as the TW green hornet has an in built mosquito net, and the unit seems ideal for using on the ground also - flexibility really.

Another option to look at might be the DD Travel Hammock which according to the available info can also be set up on the ground.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I'd be cautious of using the traveller on the ground. I've got one, and the material doesn't forgive harshness or mistakes :eek:

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Groundsheet look at the orange silve space blankets. Insulation and visual properties.
Issue bivvybag is as good as owt.
Accessory cord is good enough for guy lines and takes up less room than paracord.
Sleeping mat, go for foam its lighter and cant be punctured.
Cookset. Mmmm trangia 27 with burner as a backup stove.
Axe? Do you need one.

roman-soldier

Settler
Mar 7, 2012
colchester
I use a wildstoves woodgas mk2 , cat litter burns for ages in it with a trangia meths burner as a backup which fits nicely inside.
Groundsheet a small cheap camo tarp from Ebay bought by mistake has eyelets in the corners to stake it down. Just large enough for your bergan and standing or sitting It if you may go to ground then a foam mattress.
Cutlery, I use a spork and my Mora.
Mugs, I have a US metal mug but find it too hot to sip tea from even with tape on the rim, going back to a collapsible mug.
Midge netting, I've seen some good diy info on forum.
DD now do a 3*4m tarp which allows more of a windscreen, I think the XL is too big.

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I'd be very careful about using a groundsheet at all- the quickest way to get wet in my experience! If you must, then the alternative suggestions (which have a significantly lesser footprint than your shelter tarp)- space blanket, survival bag etc mentioned above would be a far better option than a duplicate tarp. Groundsheets are very good at channeling water straight under a tarp and to the lowest point of a shelter (which will inevitably be occupied by yourself!) when rain blows under the edge of your tarp, or you shifting in the night pushes the edge of your groundsheet outside. Almost all sleeping mats/roll mats etc are waterproof, and as you have a bivvy bag on your list- job done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE