Opinions on a Marttiini knide

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 19, 2013
Finland
So guys, since there are some pretty good experts on knives to be found at this place, can you give me some opinions on this one please?

It's a Marttiini full tang knife (factory made sure, but still).

http://www.marttiini.fi/epages/MarttiiniShop.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=10873

The idea is to find, not make, a reasonably priced knife, but a bit more than a Mora... At this price range it would be annoying to lose it or break it, but still not devastating, just annoying. Will propably have it ID engraved just in case (for 1,70euros it's no difference) as MrMurphy tends to make sure that if you prepare, then nothing happens :)

To be used as an allrounder, woods, camping, fishing and such tasks.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Is the full back of the handle steel? Wouldn't be great in very cold weather if so. Apart from that it looks ok. There are other bushy knives at that price point too.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
Yes, steel back.
Don't do camping in winter, so not seeing much use in freezing temperatures.

One of their dealers is selling it for 36,95 and have a shop in my town, so might need to go and see ho it feels.
The one review there was on the shops site said it was heavy and poor to sharpen, so must see about that too.

Do put up a link if you have ideas of equally good/better knives (for a girls grip). Full tang and way under 50 including shipping.

And sorry about the typo in the heading.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
May I ask what you are going to use it for?

That knife shape does not really lend itself well to whitling for example. It's too big and the ricasso is too long on it. That is a hunting knife, not a bushcraft knife in my opinion.
For bushcraft even a Condor Bushlore or whatever it's called would be a better choice even if those are said to require some work before they are usable.

Also think of this.If you actually use the knife as a knife, rather than pressing it into service as an axe, you have a whole range of knives in your price bracket that will serve you well as bushcraft knives, including those from Martiinii.

I would have chosen this one from Martiinii for bushcraft http://www.marttiini.fi/epages/Mart...jectPath=/Shops/MarttiiniShop/Products/127012

Or even better, this one: http://www.marttiini.fi/epages/Mart...jectPath=/Shops/MarttiiniShop/Products/230010

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wrote this review for Gun Mart magazine if the wood handled version [h=2]MARTTIINI: FULL TANG CURLY BIRCH KNIFE[/h] The new full tang, curly birch handled knife fromMarttiini of Finland is a strikingly handsome item that combines contemporarygood looks with great cutting power.
The 4.5” blade is made fromapproximately 4mm thick high chrome stainless steel, the tang of whichcontinued into the handle, flaring over the ricasso and back of the grip toapproximately 12mm wide, yet returning to approx 4mm under the finger side ofthe handle. The handle is approx 5”long. The Scandi ground edge has afairly full “belly” while the shoulder between blade and ricasso is smoothlycurved and blends into the bolster. Allthese curves look great and allow you to comfortably “choke up” your grip onthe knife for close work, while the curly birch handle slabs, held in placewith 3 stainless pins, incorporate a forward “finger choil” for a positivegrip. The sheath is made from brownleather, with a protective plastic insert and incorporates a securing strapthat slots though a cut-out to pass over the finger choil and snap closed on afront stud, and unusual triangular ring and loop belt loop hanger. Although the knife looks great, Ifound the fit of the wood to steel less than exact and all the handle edgessomewhat too angular for comfort in sustained use, while the blade arrived farfrom razor sharp, requiring extensive and time-consuming sharpening before use. The blade held its edge well once sharpened,and the heavy weight of the knife – approx 250gms (mainly in the handle) - madethe knife good for heavy cutting. Italso handles well for fine work. The Marttiini Full Tang CurleyBirch Knife is very stylish and retails at around £70.00. For more information visit www.whitbyandco.co.ukTel 01539 721032

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I wrote this review for Gun Mart magazine if the wood handled version MARTTIINI: FULL TANG CURLY BIRCH KNIFE

The new full tang, curly birch handled knife fromMarttiini of Finland is a strikingly handsome item that combines contemporarygood looks with great cutting power.
The 4.5” blade is made fromapproximately 4mm thick high chrome stainless steel, the tang of whichcontinued into the handle, flaring over the ricasso and back of the grip toapproximately 12mm wide, yet returning to approx 4mm under the finger side ofthe handle. The handle is approx 5”long.The Scandi ground edge has afairly full “belly” while the shoulder between blade and ricasso is smoothlycurved and blends into the bolster. Allthese curves look great and allow you to comfortably “choke up” your grip onthe knife for close work, while the curly birch handle slabs, held in placewith 3 stainless pins, incorporate a forward “finger choil” for a positivegrip.The sheath is made from brownleather, with a protective plastic insert and incorporates a securing strapthat slots though a cut-out to pass over the finger choil and snap closed on afront stud, and unusual triangular ring and loop belt loop hanger.Although the knife looks great, Ifound the fit of the wood to steel less than exact and all the handle edgessomewhat too angular for comfort in sustained use, while the blade arrived farfrom razor sharp, requiring extensive and time-consuming sharpening before use. The blade held its edge well once sharpened,and the heavy weight of the knife – approx 250gms (mainly in the handle) - madethe knife good for heavy cutting. Italso handles well for fine work.The Marttiini Full Tang CurleyBirch Knife is very stylish and retails at around £70.00.For more information visit www.whitbyandco.co.ukTel 01539 721032

Did you breath at all when you wrote that? I assume its a fault in the editing/forum software between Gun Mart mag and here that's removed the spaces.

Jan 19, 2013
Finland
"Also think of this.If you actually use the knife as a knife, rather than pressing it into service as an axe"

I have several blades on me when I go out, so looking for something that can be used as an axe or a brush cutter if need be or gut a fish. Something a bit more robust that will take some abuse without breaking.

Sure I could up the price and get a F1 for 120euros, but would I want to abuse it? Propably not, so no point in getting something you don't dare to use as you will and end up carrying the axe too.

And about the handle, I've cut my hands enough times to know I need a handle withe a finger guard of some form. All it takes is that I'm cold, tired, my hands are cold or wet or covered in fish slime or all of the mentioned.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE