refurbishing old knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
I've got old Finnish Marttiini Leuku that I inherited amongst other knives from my father http://www.marttiini.fi/epages/MarttiiniShop.sf/en_GB/?ViewObjectID=10912...but it is VERY used and abused condition...it was his everyday multitool :rolleyes:
I think the blade is still rescu-able condition but it needs new handle...wood is knackered and cap missing. It is old type Leuku that wasn't made with stainless steel. I propably would be able to deal with blade myself..but it would be nice to have it done 'properly' , easier then for me to look after...
I know next to nothing about making handles and although I do tinker with wood..it is definitely out of my comfort zone. I have looked Briza's site for 'handle tutorial'..and nope...I don't have time nor recources getting anymore new 'hobbies' and equipment.
Now do you know anybody who deal with 'making up old knifes'..is it generally worth it? ..can handles be renewed?
I do understand it is cheaper to buy brand new one than to have old one 'done'...but there is always that 'sentimental value' that bonds one to particular tool.

Any thoughts welcome to help me decide what to do...or to do nothing..

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Looks a nice little project knife :)

First thing I would say, dont use anything abrasive to remove the rust, myself I would take it a part,

To remove the rust use a water/Molasses mix, for a couple of weeks... you will then see the signs of use on the blade.. keeps teh interest in it.. :)
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109314&highlight=Molasses

If the wooden handel is so dirty and you want to clean it up you can soak it in bleach... followed by a good few days soak in water, it will lighten the wood, and will take out most of the dirt.. have done this on a few handles I have had then, let them dry, to rehydrate the wood as such, just use oil or Bees Wax, but warm the handle first so the Bees wax melts into the handle, you can stain the handle before finsihing.. if its split then epoxy it together with some tyraps around to hld it together.

Hoeps this helps in some ways..

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Wow..thank you for your good comments and advice. The handle is still solid as such..it is just worn away bit in the end where the cap was and on the other side that doesn't show on photo there is small bit missing.
"signs of wear on blade"...heh...well there will be plenty of those...particularly when the daft man decided to treat himself to table grinder...that month, we had anything and everything sharpened in the house and tool shed that was possible to receive such a treatment....now that particular knife is not quite as big as it used to be...:rolleyes:..everything he sharpened was 'rough job'...yes they were 'sharp' but there were no room for finishing touches. He did learn to master the grinder though.....
I think I just might have a little 'play' with the knife myself at first...see how it comes out...and perhaps eventually get it done 'properly'. I have to admit I have secrectly set my heart to see something 'pretty' on the handle..sort of combination of 'old' bits as memory of him and something new for the daughter as new 'abuser'..:rolleyes:
Before he passed away he did buy himself new Leuku...all shiny like in the link..but it lacks the 'soul'. So it is more and less unused..even I don't like to use it, but still reach to the old knife when what ever DIY job needs doing..it might look rough but it will still cut...

Last edited:

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
Me again...and after 12 hrs 'TLC' knife looks like this now...
100_1809.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

goodlife

Jan 12, 2014
Notts.
After reading the 'molasses' tip..my brain started 'ticking' (very dangerous thing when it happens...) I once had little kitchen 'accident' with sourdough bread starter that didn't stay in bowl but bubbled over onto stove...where the fermenting starter touched the metal ring around hot plate, it cleaned it clear!!
SOOOO....talking about fermenting..I have Kefir fermenting in kitchen (fermented milk stuff..kind yogurt stuff)..so I decided to do little experimentation before trying to find out the old molasses jar somewhere in kitchen :rolleyes: I poured the kefir over the metal bits and left it to soak...after an hour there is already black stuff coming out!!!!!:eek:...quick wipe over to see what is happening..covered it over again and left it over night. This morning the blade didn't look too bad at all! Happy so far...
Then came out THE bleach bottle..little bit of that on ..left for a few minutes..rinse and dry..and you can see results..:D
This time I have taken the photo from the other side of the knife...trying to show the bit that is missing from the handle. This 'little' project is really, really trying to hook me in...but..so far I'm resisting. Now I'm playing with idea (if it is possible to do)...to take little bit off the length of the handle, the worn out bit (doing it myself or getting it done)and attach new end....possible? This is really been first time that I've really paid attention to the knife and really looked at it...and noticed one fault that is now bugging me..the handle as it is now is too short! Even with the original cap on..it would have been too short and compaired to the other Leuku I have, it doesn't measure right. So if it possible to do partial 'new' handle..that would 'sort' that out too in same time...we talk about 1/2 inch or so length difference..
So..Oh great ones...what do you think...my brain tells me that it needs an inch or so taking off from end of the handle...new 'bits' on with added 1/2 inch length and new cap on? That would give me chance to get my 'stamp' in and add little 'girly' touch to the knife too...;)
Thing is that I've seen lovely red stained curly birch blocks...and I do fancy bit of that....:lmao:

Last edited:

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Thats looking great after a few hours work;)

Ive never really thought about owning a leuku but im seriously thinking of buying a blade and putting my own handle on:)

Keep up the great work!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE