Opinel troubles/project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robin DuBois

Apr 29, 2013
nfa
be great to see the finished item. a belt sander for sure, and a new ring from opinels website perhaps. i love restoring these knives, the tips so often break but can be resurrected by an amateur like me, very satisfying indeed.

wow......i'll be interested to see this after the overall:)

I'll keep you posted ;) I'm wondering whether to replace the ring or keep it off, make it legal for UK on my person (folks like saying EDC these days)

Easy clean up refurb Job :)
I'm new to this refurbishing business! It's an adventure! 6 months ago I would have chucked this old thing.

About 15 minutes with a belt sander will sort that :)
No belt sander or any power tools im afraid, I have a set of files, barely any money, but I did just order a dremel and a few attachments for xmas eve! :D

be great to see the finished item. a belt sander for sure, and a new ring from opinels website perhaps. i love restoring these knives, the tips so often break but can be resurrected by an amateur like me, very satisfying indeed.

I'm having to make do with hand tools it seems, will keep you updated. I am hoping to use my neighbours bench vice so I can work on it properly.

I'll have to look into electrolysis, as for Molasses.. Where the heck do I find that? :p

I plan on re-shaping and sanding the handle, and perhaps staining the wood before giving it a few soakings of linseed or something along those lines.

I found another opinel too, only in far better condition with the tip snapped off, I'll put up pictures of both when they are finished too.

Going to quickly try stabbing a potato for 24 hours, apparently it has similar effects to molasses in that it contains a gentle acid.

here ya go :)

Oh and thanks dude! :D

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
A bottle of cheap coke will do for the Molasses, or Syrup, Treacle. Here's a Billhook I refurbished. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110198

Coke also cleans by using an acidic it got Carbonic acid in it, think the PH of Cokes ranges from about 2PH to 4PH.., not only will it act as a cleaner and will remove parent metal...

The easiest to find is Black Treacle found on supermarket shelves or of course molasses that can be brought for animal feed as well, Golden Syrup I have tried but not had such a good result.

Heres a link I did about De-rusting with Molasses..The Softer Option.. :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109314&highlight=molasses

Last edited:
Coke also cleans by using an acidic it got Carbonic acid in it, think the PH of Cokes ranges from about 2PH to 4PH.., not only will it act as a cleaner and will remove parent metal...

The easiest to find is Black Treacle found on supermarket shelves or of course molasses that can be brought for animal feed as well, Golden Syrup I have tried but not had such a good result.

Heres a link I did about De-rusting with Molasses..The Softer Option.. :)

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=109314&highlight=molasses

ok, doing the molasses option, once I finally remove the blade (+ the old axe head I have etc.), the pin is seriously troublesome, I've tried nigh on everything to remove it, drill next, then if that fails, i'll make myself a brand new handle. Seems like a lot of work for acheap old tool, but I figure it's a good way to learn how to refurbish old stuff.

I have however kept at it with the files and removed almost all the nicks ensuring gentleness to the blade. Should be a nice one when it's finally done. In the meantime I have 2 more Cigar Box guitars to make.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE