Opinel troubles/project

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
WP_20131222_001.jpg.html
WP_20131222_005.jpg.html

I found an opinel the other day, completely wrecked tbh, but i reckon I can still save it! :D

I need to do some serious work on the blade, and the handle is going to need an overhaul and an a treating!

Right now I'm struggling to remove the hinge pin, any ideas anyone? I'm feeling frustrated.

Will edit in a few minutes to include photos :D

http://s941.photobucket.com/user/ceryni1/media/Bushcraft/WP_20131222_001.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1
http://s941.photobucket.com/user/ceryni1/media/Bushcraft/WP_20131222_005.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
hey you may find a couple of the Suffolk Guys can give you some advice.. they like their Opinels..

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pretty sure the pin is peened - have you tried popping it into a pillar drill and drilling out the peened part at one end then drifting it out?

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
Take a small needle file and slowly and carefully file away the penning on one side then knock the pin through :).. no power tools needed :)

It really needs to sit in an acid bath ( i was told pickling vinegar does a good preliminary job?) before I take a dremel to it, first a wire wheel then a grinding wheel, and I'm going to file carve and sand and treat the wooden handle afterwards to make it a bit "customised" (I find it funny how people take a hammer to something and it's CUSTOM lol) and then re-assemble but with a brass hinge pin. The blade is so chipped it needs filing and re-working.

been trying for 30-35 mins with a steel nail and a small hammer to push the pin out after i filed the peen off...

Last edited:

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
It really needs to sit in an acid bath ( i was told pickling vinegar does a good preliminary job?) before I take a dremel to it, first a wire wheel then a grinding wheel, and I'm going to file carve and sand and treat the wooden handle afterwards to make it a bit "customised" (I find it funny how people take a hammer to something and it's CUSTOM lol) and then re-assemble but with a brass hinge pin. The blade is so chipped it needs filing and re-working.

been trying for 30-35 mins with a steel nail and a small hammer to push the pin out after i filed the peen off...

the blade may have rusted to the pin.. try putting some penetrating oil on it you never know...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would try an electrolytic approach to rust removal rather than acid - 99p bag of washing soda and a battery charger are all thats needed.

[video=youtube;y4yYF8gSHdA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4yYF8gSHdA[/video]

Then sand back the wood and put some fine brass in for a pin

Big Stu 12

Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I would still de rust it in Molasses and water mix, gentle method that just removes rust and none of the parent metal. and you can put it in with the handle still on, it will just dye it Black. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE