Opinel No9 knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Brown Bear

Forager
May 12, 2009
Cambridge
I read some fascinating stories of the history of Opinel's folding knives. Knives that had been passed down generations, people swearing alliegence to the only knife they had ever needed etc.....so I bought one. A number 9.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I can't see the appeal. Sure...it was only £9, but it's got some serious design flaws in my opinion. The blade locking collar slips and allows the blade to fold on your fingers after just a few cutting motions. When folded and 'locked' with the collar, the blade can still open enough to stab you in the leg through your pocket. The blade cutting edge came sharp but rough, almost like a micro serration edge, so it rasps through a cut rather than slices. The back edge of the blade has such sharp angular edges, you can cut your thumb pressing on it. The blade is hinged between wooden faces, rather than steel, so it has some flex and play at the joint.

Some of the above can be remedied by a little modification, but in my opinion, it's a dissapointment. Ok for cutting your fromage et sausison perhaps, and it does have an enviable iconic style. I'll be using mine as a picnic tool only.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
they are the best knife i have come across so far for getting sparks from a ferro rod. i agree they are a bit rubbish but i always have one in the car (in the boot in a bag with a couple of other bushy things because it is technically a locking knife), and it has found a fair bit of use when i have forgotten a knife on a weekend away or to somewhere with any kind of bushcraft-able stuff. much prefer a mora or svord peasant at that sort of price.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You're right they're the carry all knife for everyone living outside a big town. They do a multitude of jobs but mostly cutting their bread cheese and sausages etc. Most I've handled the blades are as dull as a dinner knife. I guess the upside of having it like that is if it slips you only get a bruise.

I recently bought two at a local bootfair and made a penknife thingy out of the two. It does the job for what I need it for. But as a working knife. It's "Cheval pour le courses"

Doesn't really rhyme but you get the drift. :lmao:

Last edited:

memorire

Jan 21, 2010
Germany
9 pounds for a No9?? thats a tad much i believe. I own a few of them and my food preparation knife when on the go is a No9 stainless. Never experienced the problems you mention. Maybe you have gotten a faulty one? The only thing that I also have s the sharp back (though i dont believe it is that bad with mine as you describe it on yours) but i never rest my thumb on the back while doing food prep so never had a problem with that. But i guess it can become annoying when carving something for a long period of time, but that I do with other knives, though an Opinel is an awsome carver and I have a No8 which i sometimes use for that purpose.

cheers

StJon

Nomad
May 25, 2006
Largs
I've never had any problems with mine, no 8, I did cut a diagonal on the lock ring though so now locks open and closed.
jon

Muddy Boots

Settler
May 27, 2009
warwickshire
I use mine as a back up to the Mora.

Can't comment on it yet as the £8 Mora has never let me down.

I guess it's a bit like carrying round a bike in the boot of your car in case you run out of fuel.

ie pointless and avoidable.

I'll stick it in the swaps for a Woodlore knife as I'm having a slow day and I could do with a laugh.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
They're a cheap, simple pocket knife and I bought mine cheap in France, before the pound crashed.

My Stainless No.8 is now a drop-point, the blade sharpens up well and can shave my arm. i've also smoothed-off the handle and made the finger groove a bit deeper. It is excellent for saucisson and fromage.

Before the No.8, I did have a Carbon No.9, but I (or probably the wife) mis-laid it somewhere.

I use an old, battle-scarred Carbon No.6 as a general workshop/garden knife. It gets hard use and regularly stropped/stoned to bring it back to a reasonable standard. My Clipper is a bit big for small stuff.

The advantage for me is that they are more discrete and less 'intimidating' than something like a Mora. I've a Viking in my desk at work which raises eyebrows (It's not that odd and it comes in handy. We're an engineering firm, not accountants), despite being smaller than the office kitchen knives.

Wandering around with a broad, 100mm sheath knife isn't exactly acceptable in the UK either.

Last edited:

Jus_like_that

Forager
Apr 9, 2008
burton
www.jltknives.co.uk
I have the 7, 9, 10 and a 12 or 13 I can't remember which. all excellent knives the 7 goes everywhere I do pretty much, 9 and 10 are either in my pack or at the workshop and the 12 or whatever it is, is stainless and is a VERY good kitchen knife.

But its all personal taste. I like the idea of the peasant, but i don't like the feel, whereas my dad loves his!

ATB

Adam

DFCA

Nomad
Aug 11, 2009
Monmouthshire
I can't say I've ever been keen on them to be honest - they just don't seem to meet their standing - if that makes sense.

Now the svord peasant, to me at least, is much better. Cheap, mod-able, reliable. As you can tell, I like mine! :)

ATB
Dave

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
hmm, i'm not sure i agree to be honest! They've a solid wood handle which is good for not giving blisters, they've a good quality steel blade which can be kept razor sharp with a normal knife sharpener. Sure they're not that robust but I've found them useful for skinning and gutting fish and other fresh food, they do their job quite well!

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
I have had allot of opinels and seen some really old ones that have been passed down through generations, its cheap and basic, maybe the one you have is defective, i have had some olive wood ones that werent very good but for a few quid who cares buy another

Big Geordie

Nomad
Jul 17, 2005
Bonny Scotland
Hi Guys,

I've had my Opi 9 for about 10 years. I bought it in France and I love it. Its carbon & very sharp. It is simple (rustic) and effective. An exceptional veg knife, the lock works well and the knife is stiill stiff to open. It has never caused me any grief despite being very cheap.
Like a couple of people have suggested, maybe you got a bad one.:confused::confused:

Lagiole knives were a surprise to me and I am still insecure with the couple I have because they don't formally lock.
Atb
G

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
I have an Opi 8 and a Svord peasant. Both are simple yet very capable pocket knives IMHO. I have had no trouble with either, I favour the peasant over the Opi, but for no other reason than it just "feels" better for me.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Look, they're French. They don't necessarily have to work. There's just something about them ... <shrugs shoulders in Gallic fashion>

And they cut Brie really well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE