opinel knife not legal in uk?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 16, 2015
Spain
I am moving from spain to the uk. Here I carry a opinel #8 in my pocket whereever I go....
It looks like in the UK this is not possible as it has a ring to look the blade.....
Is this correct? Is police really checking your pocket knives?

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeah, whilst not illegal... you have to have a good reason to carry a locking knife or a blade over 3" in public in the UK.

So think the #8 has a problem on both counts.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
In the UK, in addition to the laws created by parliament there are also regulations which for example the railway operators can set.

You are not allowed to carry a knife on railway property at all. It does not matter how long is its cutting edge, nor whether or not it locks.

Sometimes the British Transport Police will ask people to walk through metal detectors which are occasionally installed at railway stations - usually for only a few hours.

You would be foolish to carry a knife of any description if you were spending Saturday night on a pub crawl in town, and you would probably be arrested if the police found you to be doing that.

Commons sense will usually prevail, but it doesn't always do so.

In the UK, in addition to the laws created by parliament there are also regulations which for example the railway operators can set.

You are not allowed to carry a knife on railway property at all. It does not matter how long is its cutting edge, nor whether or not it locks.

Sometimes the British Transport Police will ask people to walk through metal detectors which are occasionally installed at railway stations - usually for only a few hours.

You would be foolish to carry a knife of any description if you were spending Saturday night on a pub crawl in town, and you would probably be arrested if the police found you to be doing that.

so what would happen if someone decides to go bushcrafting for the weekend and carries a knife in their luggage and wants to use the train?! not exactly encouraging anyone to use public transportation...

mick91

May 13, 2015
Sunderland
so what would happen if someone decides to go bushcrafting for the weekend and carries a knife in their luggage and wants to use the train?! not exactly encouraging anyone to use public transportation...

That would probably fall under the good reason clause. I've never had trouble with it so long as it's INSIDE the bag.
You could remove the locking ring from an opinel and carry the 2 items seperately. Then you're carrying a non locking knife and a metal ring. Although there are some good UK carry knives out there now

And yes Ged that included my rather serious machete in the bag. Not my other thankfully ;)

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
so what would happen if someone decides to go bushcrafting for the weekend and carries a knife in their luggage and wants to use the train?!

As I said, common sense sometimes prevails. But if they're having another crackdown, all bets are off.

A few years ago East Midlands Trains dumped my wife and twenty other passengers in Leicester at 2AM with no alternative transport.
The taxi firms variously told her there was nothing available or a four hour queue. She got me out of bed to drive 60 miles to fetch her.
We got no response to requests for compensation from East Midlands Trains.
So I refuse use trains any more, but if I did (like if I lost both legs and all my friends) then I'd make other arrangements for sharps, such as borrowing something when I got there.

not exactly encouraging anyone to use public transportation...

Actually I think the members of BCUK would be outnumbered, and by quite a large margin, by the people who are encouraged to use public transport because there are likely to be fewer people on board carrying knives

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
A blade is legal i believe if its 3" or under and non locking. Unless of course you have a good reason for having it..

Going on this if you buy a number 6 or below it would be legal to carry if you just take the locking ring off. You might even be able to carry the locking ring in a separate pocket to replace it if needs be, i don't know how legal carrying both items together would be however.

Tonyuk

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Didn't know that about the trains

i bloody hate train stations in towns these days anyway, the way they ambush you on the way OUT gets my goat.......Always puts me in mind of a police state

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Didn't know that about the trains

i bloody hate train stations in towns these days anyway, the way they ambush you on the way OUT gets my goat.......Always puts me in mind of a police state

If I remember from previous threads the "good reason" pertains to the law in general but the railway is private property and the prohibition is within their property rights.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Didn't know about the total ban on trains either, not good as I habitually have a wee knife on my person, even if it's just a tiny SAK on my keys.
(Heck, I used to travel by train with bows, practice swords & rifles every weekend when I was younger).

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Laurentius

Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere

A law which must be universally broken on every station where a catering service is provided then. I have only ever once seen a "knife arch" in operation, and then only the "usual suspects" were selected to go through. If you avoid travelling on match days you will probably never see one at all.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
In 2010 i was arrested for violence, and served 7 months in Armley on remand for it. When arrested i had a douk douk on my keys (it's still on there now). Not a word was said. After i was sentenced (non custodial) i was handed the knife back, it having been through both the police and prison systems. No problem whatsoever.......even though i was classed as a high risk prisoner " capable of sudden and extreme violence" Due to my military background.

Last edited:

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
I have traveled many times by train with my mora clipper in my pack, never had any trouble.... The railway bylaws may well prohibit it but I would not expect them to be enforced in such circumstances, I was told by one BTP officer that provided it's buried deep in a pack with associated camping gear he personally would have no problem

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I say again where is this law? There is a generic you cant bring aboard anything that might be deemed dangerous but an actual no knives
law I could not find, besides the only penalty I could find was refusal to travel.

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
Railway bylaw 2
Potentially dangerous items
(1) Except with written permission from an Operator or an authorised person, no
person shall bring with him or allow to remain on the railway any item which,
in the opinion of an authorised person, may threaten, annoy, soil or damage
any person or any property.
(2) If any person in charge of an item contrary to Byelaw 2(1) is asked by an
authorised person to remove it and fails to do so immediately, it may be
removed by or under the direction of an authorised person.
Is the closest I can find in law that could be used to prohibit carrying any sort of knife...

And the only specifically banned items I can find in the national conditions of carriage are

Motorcycles; mopeds; motor scooters
Furniture exceeding these dimensions, 30 x 70 x 90 cm which are also set out in Condition 47 and
Appendix B.
Loaded guns and firearms
Dangerous goods; inflammable liquids; explosives

The only premises that is specifically dealt with by 139A is schools so also not a problem there... The only reference to public transport I can find says that it could be considered an aggravating factor....

From this i must conclude that the normal law of the land applies to carrying any type of bladed article on a train although the train company are within their rights to refuse you travel if they so wish there is nothing specifically illegal

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
That was all I could find too, knives are not banned and all they can actually do is deny you access to travel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE