Opinel as a bushcraft knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
004-4.jpg

Is the hobo one with the fork a modified one or are they widely available robbi? Its a new one on me and I like it!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I bought one, it was razor sharp but rusted quite badly as it got damp. Has a nice patina on the blade now but I seldom use it any more

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
a double bladed opinal, please explain :)

very simple mod

take 2 opinels (I used no 7's) dismantle, widen the channel of one of the wood handles. Make a new pin, put back together, the lock ring needs a slight mod - either cut an opposite channel to the one already there - or you can make the current one a little longer - making sure the slot is at 90 degrees to the blade when open so the lock up is secure. the nail nicks are also on the same side so I made scagel holes in the blades - reshaped one as a clip the other as a droppoint -finally I reshaped the handle sodbuster style...

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
To make it a legal edc I take off the locking ring and the blade is short enough through years of use - it was my dads.
b0e384fb-1e92-9f68.jpg

that's a thing of beauty, loved to within an inch of it's life, superb.

i like opinels, they're fantastic tools for the money. i've got loads of various sizes, a #8 usually comes camping/walking with me. people have mentioned in this thread, and others re. opinels that they're no good for battoning, they're fine, just don't try splitting wood that's too big for the tool

CurtisJohnson

Jun 7, 2012
Durham
D'you know what? I'd completely forgotten about starting this thread. The topic has changed an awful lot by the end ;) thanks guys, very much appreciated.

Curtis

greasemonkey

Forager
Jun 7, 2008
Cumbernauld
Excellent, and cheap, knives. I keep a number 7 in my pocket at work, it's probably the sharpest knife I have and definitely the easiest to sharpen. They also throw a good spark.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE