Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
You have a lot of gear going on this trip and everyone seems to be running his own stove thats a hell of a lot of wood , I know we all like are own space but in the cold team works king one large wood burner is a lot easier to manage as a team..

I might be lazy, but I would concider using a Heatpal (Runs on alcohol) or something like it to keep the heat going during the night. Also, hauling fire wood, could prove to be hard work...on the other hand it is yet another piece of equipment to be brought along...

EDIT:
20cda32a2e.jpg

//Greger

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Maybe we should ask the previous group(s) for advice?
Looks like we are in a natural reserve, so gathering wood might prove extra difficult.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Its certainly a good idea, there are at least three other people who are maybes-TBC. I'll ask them if they are coming, and would be happy to share a 10 man shelter.
I know the first time I did an arctic bushcraft course, I shared a large shelter, 15 man tipi. One goes and gets the the water, one stokes the fire etc. Less work, more organisation. Take turns being chefs, for group meals. Chopping wood. Plus youre carrying less weight on the plane and on your toboggan, rucksack. In short I think its a good idea. Plus if you fancy it, you can still spend a night out in the forest, under the conifers.

[But I want to bring my snowtrekker, as its a palace for one, it was bloody expensive, and sweden is the only time I'll get to be able to use it.]

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
As above, more than happy to share tent and workload etc, totally flexible about the whole trip.

If I were in your shoes Al, I'd share Ron's tent. Saves you a load of money on kit, and difficulty finding and making tobbogan etc. You could probably get away with taking a large rucksack without a tent and stove.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
If I were in your shoes Al, I'd share Ron's tent. Saves you a load of money on kit, and difficulty finding and making tobbogan etc. You could probably get away with taking a large rucksack without a tent and stove.

Thanks for the input Dave, happy to share Ron's tent if that's ok with all and any concerned, also happy to take mine if needed, the toboggan is 'almost' in my mits, well, the kit at least, I think I would prefer to drag than carry, but as said, I'm flexible for this trip.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Spoke to Dewi yesterday, looks like he is coming as well.

Nice Tent Ron. Liking your blog at the moment.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Great news we'll need to sort numbers out re sleeping and how many tents are going to be needed etc

But before the cold I'm sat in a sunny 36 degrees lol rockin Turkey :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm up for it Dave... as you know I really wanted to come on the Canadian trip... something I've always wanted to do.

Could I ask though, and hopefully this won't be read as me barging an opinion, but as its a essentially going to be a mix of a experienced and beginners, and its a meet rather than a course, would it not be a good idea to have a sort of safety zone?

What I mean is, rather than relying solely on tents, perhaps setup basecamp around a very basic log cabin (would need to be rented I suspect) that has a log burner... it could be used for those who need medical attention... used as a sort of meeting area (possibly a communal eating area) and I hate to use the term, but it could be used as a wimp-out clause. In other words if someone is struggling, they have the option to retreat to the cabin.

Just an idea... and as an added bonus it would reduce the amount of fuel needed by the group as a whole if there was a sort of central cooking area/shelter.

Saying all that, whatever the setup, I'm definitely up for it. I may need to improve my physical fitness a little (a lot) and cut out the ciggies.

Might sound like a bizarre question, but does body weight make a difference to how you cope in these environments?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Hier mate.

We've got at least three hot tents so we really dont need a cabin in my opinion.

Its wise to buy insurance cover, with an air ambulance, which can be had for around £55. Plus of course taking your EHIC, which is free to get beforehand.

I suggested a meet, but I accept no responsibility for any persons actions.

Yes there will be a mixture of experience.

Its up to the individual to decide whether they want to come. As each person will be responsible for their own safety.

Having said that, If I went through the ice, I'd expect everyone to stop what they were doing and immeadiately prioritise me. Get a fire going, and get me warmed up. That or cutting yourself with an axe would be my two biggest fears.

Im not fit, and as we are base camping, and have some big tents, my thoughts were we'd go as far up the lake as we could by rail or cheap transport, then haul our toboggans down the southern side of the lake until we find a decent camp site. As the south side of the lake looks less populated, and doesnt have a road running up it.

There are buildings all along the lake, I think theres even an STF hostel/hotel up near the top of the lake on the southside. Its marked on google maps. Ive no idea whether it will be open or not. We can find out.

There will likely be trails from snow mobiles, and dog sleds. And hopefully the tourist board will be able to tell us, how thick the ice is, and whereabouts they took a sample from.

I was nervous but excited, when I went out there last. It was just great fun. I'll offer my limited experience, and help to anyone who wants it, as I would guess the other members of the party would too.

Last edited:

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I
Might sound like a bizarre question, but does body weight make a difference to how you cope in these environments?

I'd say that there is no practical difference between, say me and my buddy (2 inches shorter)...a cup of water freezes before a pool does, but still....no

However, my wife freezes way before me :)

Skickat från min GT-I9506 via Tapatalk

Last edited:

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
No worries :)

Personal responsibility for health and wealth not a problem... but do we get to whinge at you when we're cold? ;)

Is there a good place to find a ready-made kit list do you know Dave? Or is it more an individual thing?

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'd say that there is no practical difference between, say me and my buddy (2 inches shorter)...a cup of water freezes before a pool does, but still....no

However, my wife freezes way before me :)

I'm just wondering whether to lose the spare tire I carry around my waist at the minute, or leave it place for warmth purposes :D

My wife feels the cold long before I do... my achillie's heel is literally my heels... my feet turn to blocks of ice long before the rest of me.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
No worries :)

Personal responsibility for health and wealth not a problem... but do we get to whinge at you when we're cold? ;)

Is there a good place to find a ready-made kit list do you know Dave? Or is it more an individual thing?

Ive got a kit list mate HERE, but its changed a bit now, since I last used it. If you feel safer, you might be better off sleeping in one of the hot tents, with other people, Or maybe sleeping in a rotation, so one night youre in with me, the next, with Ron, the next with Al, then try sleeping outside, under the stars....etc...or building a quinze. Up to you mate.

Dewi, could you PM your email address again please, and I'll send you some stuff. Cheers.

SGL70

Dec 1, 2014
Luleå, Sweden
I'm just wondering whether to lose the spare tire I carry around my waist at the minute, or leave it place for warmth purposes :D

My wife feels the cold long before I do... my achillie's heel is literally my heels... my feet turn to blocks of ice long before the rest of me.
Well...You need more energy hauling a larger body, and the trip might feel a bit more anjoyable if you get more fit....but that also depends on how active you are planning to be and so on.

For coping with the cold, body size is not that big of a deal...high energy foods and water, on the other hand, is...

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
I'm more nervous about the wildlife than the cold to be fair... but none of it puts me off.

You may want to hang fire on me sharing with anyone until you've heard my snoring Dave... I'm like a pneumatic drill unfortunately, so I'll get a lightweight setup I can carry. I have most of the gear to build a sled for hauling gear.

Might sound daft, but is it the right type of snow up that way to build an igloo?

Spare tyre wise, I think I should probably lose it and get a lot fitter than I am... don't want to be lagging behind... I might get picked off by a bear or something :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE