Open invitation arctic meet 2017

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
Hi gents. Im away now so cant talk much but for those who have my number whatsapp is the best way if you have the app. Just so people know i booked another week of to get to see the market you only get one chance some times so making the most of it. Hope your all ok and talk if / when i can lads....🤘🤘🤘🤘🤘

Sent from my SM-A300FU using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Hi gents. Im away now so cant talk much but for those who have my number whatsapp is the best way if you have the app. Just so people know i booked another week of to get to see the market you only get one chance some times so making the most of it. Hope your all ok and talk if / when i can lads....����������

OK mate, that's good, so now that's 4 confirmed for the 23rd - 6th, Pete, Dewi ? I'll be booking my flight on Friday.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Campsite? Dudes, you're surrounded by forests and lakes around there! Travel 2000 miles to Lapland and go to a campsite? Next year's tour to Disneyland? :)

(Sorry guys, couldn't resist it..........)

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Campsite? Dudes, you're surrounded by forests and lakes around there! Travel 2000 miles to Lapland and go to a campsite? Next year's tour to Disneyland? :)

(Sorry guys, couldn't resist it..........)

The campsite is so we're near the market, and to get cleaned before the trip home,it all works well. In your thread where you were taking and updating pictures, was that on your phone ? what network did you have and was there decent reception ?

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
No problem - only joking. In fact I booked into a hostel in Jokkmokk for a night before and after the camp in the forest to get sorted out.

My tablet was on 3 network, which included their "feel at home" for about 18 countries including Sweden, so no more expensive than using in the UK. Also, on the drive there and back, McDonalds and other cafes had wifi. In the forest where I was camping there was no signal at all, which in fact was my biggest concern, as solo camping there was no-one to get help if I had a serious problem. Jokkmokk however has a good phone signal.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Ok thanks for that, I'll keep looking, Greger said something about a pre paid sim, I'll look into that as well, maybe a pre paid phone at the airport ?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Im on 3 mobile gents so for a change could be ok for coverage...��������

Good to know, Vodafone for me, between us we may get a signal, plus whatever I can find, only for in case of ?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Might have to all chip in and hire a sat phone?

£4 per day. Less than a quid a day each.

I dont want to spend any more money either, but you've gotta have air ambulance and comms.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Might have to all chip in and hire a sat phone?

£4 per day. Less than a quid a day each.

I'm good with that, have you got a link to charges for use, we ( you & I ) are in the same boat re contact to home for good reason, others may also 'need' to have the option, ( that's option Chris, not Tinder :D )

Seriously though, it would be good for comms and for back up / emergency

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
No no! I had no intention of calling anyone, unless someone cuts open an artery or something equally unlikely, and horrendous and we have to call the air ambulance in mate.

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
No no! I had no intention of calling anyone, unless someone cuts open an artery or something equally unlikely, and horrendous and we have to call the air ambulance in mate.

I would like to check in every other day, or at least every third day, call me soft lol ;)

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thats cool Al, could hire it then? And the rest of us could just give you the dosh for the rental? Then any calls made are yours to pay. What do you reckon? Is that cool or not?

This is the site I was looking at: http://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/rent/phone-rental?gclid=CNvA-tHp1M8CFfMV0wodzmUGsQ

At the moment Im wondering about staying in Kiruna overnight? What do you all want to do? We land at 15:50 in Kiruna, presuming we all manage to book the same flight.

Its then a four hour bus ride to Porjus. We would be better shopping for groceries in Kiruna, as there is only one grocery store in Porjus.

So, seems to me, we would be best spending our first night in Kiruna and getting our food shopping done, the same afternoon that we land?

It will be dark when we land.

Then catching the bus, the following morning, down to Porjus, then onto Vietas?

Im trying to find a cheap hostel in Kiruna, a dormitory, single room, with bunk beds, for 5 people for the night of the 23rd of January. Checked with expedia, there are 11 hostels/hotels with 3 double bunks, in single rooms, but Im gonna have to contact them all individually I think. PITA

Last edited:

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
That's an option for the phone, yes.
I was thinking the same about the overnight stay, it would give us chance to regroup after travel and sort stuff, plus as you say, it will be dark with a way to travel.
Did Ash get a pulk ?

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
Also, to give us more time on the morning of the 24th we could get the train straight from Kiruna to Vietas

EDIT, wrong link BRB

I must have been dreaming ?

So, it's buses :D

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Right! We got very lucky!

According to Expedias booking line there was nothing available at all.

But I have managed to book us a single room, with two bunk beds, and one single bed, [they are moving a single bed into the room for us]

So one room for five people. Ash, Al, Dave, Pete, Chris. One night, 23rd January. 2017.

For £130, so £26 each!

Good hotel/hostel as well.

http://www.spiskiruna.se

70006978.jpg

I hope thats ok with everybody?

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
6 hours per day, when we arrive and 7 hours per day when we leave should be fine.

We'll be around a campfire no doubt on an evening.

and no light pollution for the night walks on the lake! Cool stuff. :)

And the aurora borealis as well.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE