Oops! Now what have I bought? (Pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Thanks to a buddy of mine (Redandshane, cheers Steve!), I made an impulse buy of one parachute on the bay. It was sent to me as it's just down the road from me.
So I bid (£32) and won, took a drive down that evening, only to find a massive parachute that took two of us to lift into the back of my car.

Well I managed to drag it out of my car this afternoon in my local park to take a looksie.

Turns out that this is a deployment parachute capable of dropping 2,500LB payloads. My initial findings are that it's an Irvin SC15 static line cruciform deployment chute.

A few pics below and more if you click on an image.

Anyway, as it won't even fit in my garage; what the hell can I do with it?
Firstly, there's hundreds of meters of thick paracord along with nice big shackles etc, any I've no doubt that someone better skilled on the old sewing machine could make a few dozen hammocks, but any other ideas?

Incidentally, you can buy one in a crate on the bay for a mere £834.95!

I think this is how it looks although I expect mine is rather bigger!

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
has it been slashed mate or is it in one piece. looks an odd shape to suggesting its been hacked at. that metal ware will probably sell for enough to get your cash back :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
How about stick it on ebay make a few £100 buy a smaller one and roll around in the money that's left over? :)

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
lol.
It hasn't been slashed at all. Appears to be in immaculate condition, it even has it's last service record with it dated 2008 and shows it to be tip top.

The cord alone has got to be worth £32 imo. There's masses of it and none has been cut or disconnected from it's "bits".

I'll have to try and get it up and take some decent photos. Must be worth a hundred bucks to someone with the room to use it.

As my good lady wife just found my credit card statement, I may need to make a more permanent shelter with it in my local woodland!

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Now that's funny a great find though lol
guess it's a dartmoor trip with a shelter for 50 people you could always swap it for Ivan's smaller chute

Now we all know that nothing is safe when taken on meet!
I remember him taking a fancy to a parachute and 10 minutes later it was his. Something about possession being 9/10th of the law? (let's see if he defends himself). :)

Bucephalas

Jan 19, 2012
Chepstow, Wales
Half of that is mine I just haven't given you £16 yet !
Its not for sale either

Go farage ya own from a skip!

Tell you what, I'll keep hold of it and you can carry it, how's that?

Fairs-fair. You cough up £16 and we'll go 50/50 on the profit; but every penny goes in the Sweden kitty and we will treat ourselves out there.
I'm off to walk Snowdon now so wish me well!
If they find my body weeks from now, the shute is yours! (put that Voodoo doll away!)

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Ahem! I have just seen this thread, and i have been on the phone to my solicitor, he has advised me to plead the fifth! But you know me , the smaller parachute was always going to be mine and its your own fault for not removing your fancy clips as they are now mine also.

I have taken a shine to your new acquisition and propose that you bring it along to the next Dartmoor foray so as you can possibly trade it in against the nice smaller one i already own.

In the mean time i strongly warn you against any detrimental remarks or slander, also i would very quickly knock that Scots tramp out of the loop ,as you are easy.

Your best attention at all times .

Ivan...

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Just leave the chute in the garage and tell the wife she can deliver that and your other stuff to me after the funeral
The chances of you taking a walk up Snowdon without having a mishap are slim lol

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
The local school or scout group would love to have that. Two whole classes could get round the rim and teachers know all sort of games with them that kids love. My school was given a cargo parachute and I got to keep the paracord. I got enough to last for the rest of my life! The chute was used in PE lessons and got transformed into Santa's grotto, scenery for plays and any number of outdoor play scenarios. You could also hire it out- so much more fun than a bouncy castle- and you'd cover your outlay in no time. What with the shackles, cord etc I reckon it was a real bargain.

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
It would indeed Tengu whatever an emegegncy and a Mecha are ?

but hey
why not make a reasonable offer?
And pay for my jolly in Sweden
I think this will go to a school of some sort at the end of the day. Which may take some time but mark my words it will happen
Still alive Rich?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE